You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

3 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Apparently the final is going to been shown live on Channel 4 until the Grand Prix starts when they will switch it to More4 

Is that right? Fucking hell. Used to love the F1 but I can not stand Hamilton at all so rarely bother nowadays. 

Well played, England. Jumped the Aussies early, Smith and Carey did well to re-establish the innings, then another clump of wickets fall and it's a struggle to post anything more than barely a target score. 

To be honest, I don't mind the way Australia attacked with the ball. You're never winning that game merely containing that batting line-up, you have to bowl them out. Better to go down looking for wickets than playing it safe, but the England openers have been in great form this tournament. 

Also, you could absolutely make an argument that Roy should be suspended from the final for his disgraceful conduct after being dismissed, but politics won't allow it to happen. Put Warner into that scenario and what would the reaction be? Bairstow stupidly burnt a review, which ultimately led to the Roy incident.

If the reviews are used properly to correct an umpiring error (which was somewhat understandable in this instance, given the ball's trajectory after it passed Roy), then that is simply reviewed immediately and the decision is reversed with no stress involved. 

Anyway, gonna have to get behind the Kiwis for this one! Hard to believe there's an Ashes series mere weeks away too!

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

The motor racing is a contracted feature that they paid a lot of money for and need to keep regular viewers involved with , whereas the final is a total one-off , so I think it will stay as advertised.

Yeah that's true actually - F1 rights aren't cheap. 

1 minute ago, Colt Seavers said:

Does anyone know how the disciplinary points in cricket works?

Any chance Roy might be banned for final?

Given how disgracefully awful the decision was, I suspect the ICC will want it to go under the radar. I expect a caution and a small fine. 

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Yeah, mentioned it earlier mate. If we had won the toss we'd have definitely batted first and it could easily have been a case of roles reversed. 

Would anyone else have batted on winning the toss ? I was shocked when I heard the Aussies had won the toss and decided to bat. 

2 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

A nice final to look forward to on Sunday. Should be a great day. Weather forecast for London on Sunday. Mainly overcast but sunny intervals after 16:00. No rain forecast. 

I wouldn't read to much into that mate. The cunts here couldn't forecast fucking Christmas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A_S said:

Well played, England. Jumped the Aussies early, Smith and Carey did well to re-establish the innings, then another clump of wickets fall and it's a struggle to post anything more than barely a target score. 

To be honest, I don't mind the way Australia attacked with the ball. You're never winning that game merely containing that batting line-up, you have to bowl them out. Better to go down looking for wickets than playing it safe, but the England openers have been in great form this tournament. 

Also, you could absolutely make an argument that Roy should be suspended from the final for his disgraceful conduct after being dismissed, but politics won't allow it to happen. Put Warner into that scenario and what would the reaction be? Bairstow stupidly burnt a review, which ultimately led to the Roy incident.

If the reviews are used properly to correct an umpiring error (which was somewhat understandable in this instance, given the ball's trajectory after it passed Roy), then that is simply reviewed immediately and the decision is reversed with no stress involved. 

Anyway, gonna have to get behind the Kiwis for this one! Hard to believe there's an Ashes series mere weeks away too!

What did he do? 

Was listening to TMS and they made no mention of him doing anything wrong. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Would anyone else have batted on winning the toss ? I was shocked when I heard the Aussies had won the toss and decided to bat. 

I wouldn't read to much into that mate. The cunts here couldn't forecast fucking Christmas.

Morgan said he would definitely have batted first if he had won the toss.

I checked the weather through a German Weather channel mate, more accurate. Vorsprung durch besserer Wetterballons. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, A_S said:

Also, you could absolutely make an argument that Roy should be suspended from the final for his disgraceful conduct after being dismissed, but politics won't allow it to happen.

Behave mate, it's a fine at best, he didn't cheat. He was just pissed off with an umpire's decision, dissent has in just about every case resulted in just a fine, percentage of match fee. It has nothing to do with sporting politics but what is actually the norm for such incidents. 

So many people are banging on about how bad the decision was for Roy. Yes, it was an incorrect decision, but the whole point of DRS is to reverse bad calls such as that one. Yet England used their review for what exactly? A plumb LBW decision, as it turns out. And Roy may well have been part of that call to review, funnily enough. 

I still maintain had it been Warner or Ponting in Roy's position, the focus on player behaviour would be far greater than the original poor decision. He acted like a twat. You can't stand in the middle of the pitch and carry on over a bad decision. Everyone knows it. No surprise he's received the maximum penalty without actually getting a suspension either. 

37 minutes ago, A_S said:

the focus on player behaviour would be far greater than the original poor decision. 

And indeed it is, A_S... it was those nasty, cheating Aussies at it again - pressuring and intimidating the umpire into making a shit decision.

Appealing for a catch, in a heinous attempt to escape incurring a wide.  It's the oldest, nastiest trick in the book - in the absence of a sheet of sandpaper, of course.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I really didn’t think Roy’s reaction was that bad. 

Same. He was nearing a century in a World Cup semi final against the Aussies and got wrongly dismissed! He had every right to be  pissed off. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Same. He was nearing a century in a World Cup semi final against the Aussies and got wrongly dismissed! He had every right to be  pissed off. 

Maybe the Aussie cricket media are making more of it than it was. Check out this clip of Roy ‘exploding’. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-12/jason-roy-explodes-after-being-given-out/11302494