You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
7 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’d much prefer the Aussies in the semis compared to India. 

An India Vs England final would be perfect. 

I agree. Plus I'd rather lose to the Auld enemy in a semi final than the final itself. Losing to India in a potential final wouldn't bother me as such. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Aus 39/2 off 9 overs. Looks like we'll be playing them in the semi's barring the Saffa's fucking this up big style. 

Both Finch and Smith out cheaply. Kwaja off with a Hamstring injury and Stoinis is struggling with his back now. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Aussies 119/4 now. De Kock is having a great day behind the stumps. Pulled off a great catch to get rid of Maxwell just now and an amazing piece of work to conclude the stumping of Stoinis. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Cracking game this. SA doing their best to let the Aussies back into it by bowling their spinners who were getting hammered. Good batting from Warner who holed out earlier, also good batting by Carey who is 84 not out. Pace back into the attack and SA get Cummins out. 

Aus 272/6 now. Need another 54 runs from 32 balls. 

Guest Pistonbroke

SA win by 10 runs.

So Tuesday is India v NZ at Old Trafford

Thursday England v Aus at Edgbaston. 

Those two birds in the crowd near the end...yes please. 

As if this summer between Australia and England wasn't big enough, there's a World Cup semi-final on English soil thrown in for good measure! Easily the biggest short-form game between the two, outside of the 1987 final. 

It's poor to lose a game to a struggling SA and put ourselves in the tougher (IMO) game, but at least we had enough credits in the bank to avoid India. Even England, having beaten them, can't rely on so much early fortune as Bairstow and Roy got against Bumrah and co the other day. 

Carey's keeping is becoming an issue. This is compounded by his excellent batting, meaning he stays in, therefore keeps. 

It's almost enough to say whichever Starc decides to turn up on the day decides the contest. He can be that good...when he feels like it. 

2 hours ago, A_S said:

As if this summer between Australia and England wasn't big enough, there's a World Cup semi-final on English soil thrown in for good measure! Easily the biggest short-form game between the two, outside of the 1987 final. 

It's poor to lose a game to a struggling SA and put ourselves in the tougher (IMO) game, but at least we had enough credits in the bank to avoid India. Even England, having beaten them, can't rely on so much early fortune as Bairstow and Roy got against Bumrah and co the other day. 

Carey's keeping is becoming an issue. This is compounded by his excellent batting, meaning he stays in, therefore keeps. 

It's almost enough to say whichever Starc decides to turn up on the day decides the contest. He can be that good...when he feels like it. 

Khawaja injury could be a blessing in disguise... with Wade touted as his replacement, which might be good news for batting and keeping - if he keeps.  His pinch-hitting against England might be very useful.

Guest Pistonbroke

It could easily be a game where the toss decides the outcome, although both teams are capable of bowling well first up and giving their batsmen a reasonable total to chase. I agree that Khawaja being injured could be a blessing in disguise as he's looked lost during this WC. Your middle order still doesn't look that good if the opposition gets early wickets, although the same could be said about England. Should be a cracking game. 

The latest weather forecast is for Birmingham on Thursday is overcast in the morning with rain showers all afternoon, early evening. Could easily be a start/stop affair. The reserve day Friday looks worse weather wise with thundery showers all day. Hopefully that will change. 

Guest Pistonbroke
22 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I read that Aus go automatically through if there is no clear result - no Duckworth Lewis. Is this true?

Those are the rules, as the team qualifying with the higher points gained in the group stage would qualify. However, that is only when there is a complete washout and with a reserve day that is highly unlikely as they'll be able to at least get a reduced overs game in over the two days or a super over at some point. 

25 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

I read that Aus go automatically through if there is no clear result - no Duckworth Lewis. Is this true?

And Australia get through with a tie. That one 20 years ago is still the greatest ODI of all time in my humble opinion, given the stakes and it was a pure bat v ball contest with some all-time greats involved. 

Guest Pistonbroke
9 minutes ago, A_S said:

And Australia get through with a tie. That one 20 years ago is still the greatest ODI of all time in my humble opinion, given the stakes and it was a pure bat v ball contest with some all-time greats involved. 

What is the news about injuries in Aus mate? Khawaja is an obvious one, but are they definitely replacing him with Wade, because I thought they brought in Handscomb to cover injuries to top order batsmen. What is the news on Stoinis and Starc, both looked to be carrying injuries against SA to me, especially Stoinis. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Bit bored due to fuck all sport on until later so watched a bit of the Women's ashes 3rd ODI. Fuck me the English women are shit in the field. Ironically I was doing the ironing whilst watching. Ah well, hoovering needs doing now. 

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Australia will twat England on Thursday. I think cricket is the only sport I actually give a fuck about England in so I'm pretty pissed off. India have got it in the bag anyway. 

England have won their last 10 games (or something like that) at Edgbaston. A lot will come down to who wins the toss, but I'd say it's 50/50 either way. India will probably piss their semi final but I don't think they'll have it easy against either Eng or Aus at Lords in the final.