You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Some terrible bowling from the West Indies- far too many short or over-pitched deliveries.

I think they gave up after the first 10 were done and dusted. They are bowling Gayle now....

Guest Pistonbroke
10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Not so sure about putting Woakes in so early. 

Purely down to shuffling the order and Roy batting further down the order. They probably didn't want to see Roy come in and have to bat alongside lower order. This way they extend that middle order and England basically had a great start chasing a low score. I don't like the idea of Ali opening, although our next game is against Afghanistan and then Sri Lanka thereafter. If Roy needs a rest then the games/schedule couldn't have been kinder. 

100 here for the taking for Root. WIndies have been poor today from the first ball.

Woakes is a top quality all-round cricketer, but it would have been more useful letting Stokes have a run out just to get some time at the crease.

Guest Pistonbroke

Desperate review from the Winies, laughable. It was obvious pitching outside the line of off stump and it wasn't even going to hit the stumps. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mudface said:

Weak from Holder, he should have told Gayle 'no'.

Yeah, Gayle desperate to get a wicket for his sunglasses sponsor. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Wood is also on the cusp of injury. had another late fitness test on his ankle before play. I'd deffo rest him against Afghanistan. 

Can they call up a replacement for an injured batsman? Or do they have to stick to squad players, Hayles was dropped and Vince is in the squad and would be the obvious replacement for Roy. Unless they fancy Root to do the job and play another all rounder like Dawson. I reckon they'll just shoehorn Ali and Rashid into the starting 11 and open with either Bairstow and him or stick to Root. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Nice century from Root who will probably carry his bat through an innings as well. Also doing so with a strike rate above 100. That is some innings, although the bowling has been rather tosh after the initial 10 overs. 

Easy victory for England this, although they did have the better bowling conditions early doors and also better batting conditions. England have Afghanistan next followed by SL, that should put them on 10 points and within a whisker of the semi's. Windies will be desperate to win their next match now. They have Bangladesh who are capable of causing an upset if the Windies play like today. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Nice century from Root who will probably carry his bat through an innings as well. Also doing so with a strike rate above 100. That is some innings, although the bowling has been rather tosh after the initial 10 overs. 

Easy victory for England this, although they did have the better bowling conditions early doors and also better batting conditions. England have Afghanistan next followed by SL, that should put them on 10 points and within a whisker of the semi's. Windies will be desperate to win their next match now. They have Bangladesh who are capable of causing an upset if the Windies play like today. 

Spot on. Right, I'm now off to coach the next generation of budding cricketers providing the rain stays away.

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Wezza said:

You can call up somebody in case of injury. I think Mitchell Marsh is coming in due to Stoinis injury.

Just checked and you are correct. 

7 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Another half century for Mr reliable. Root is such a good player wherever he plays. 

I remember when Root made that fairly chancy 180 debut hundred at Lords against Australia - and I think Jairz might have said he'll make better 50s than that century. 

So it's turned out I think.

Guest Pistonbroke
14 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I cannot stand her voice mate, or Alison Mitchell. Monotonous drone.

You could say most of the commentators are monotonous, Mike. I like her voice, probably because I'd like to shag her mind. 

8 hours ago, skaro said:

I remember when Root made that fairly chancy 180 debut hundred at Lords against Australia - and I think Jairz might have said he'll make better 50s than that century. 

So it's turned out I think.

Indeed. The excellent batsmen like Root play to their strengths and work on their weaknesses. He knows what he is best at and sticks to it. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Sri Lanka V Australia

SL won the toss and put the Aussies into bat, then go on to bowl absolute turd, even Malinga hasn't been that good. After 10 overs the Aussies are 53 without loss. 

Guest Pistonbroke

No sooner do I say that de Silva the SL spinner goes for 20 off his latest over. Comms box has the two Aussies Clarke and Slater in tandem, they are the Tyler/Neville combo for Cricket. Full of shit then jizz themselves when the Aussies hit a boundary, pair of cocks.