You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Played for the first time in 9 years last week at what turned out to be a thankfully very low level. Managed to get the ball down the other end off a short run and had to go in at the end - a stirring 2* from about 8 balls. Enjoyed it. Only bowled 3 overs in an evening game and could hardly move for days. God knows how people play a full day into their 50’s.

Excellent stuff. I scored 16 which it turned now out was our highest score, which maybe gives some indication as to how the game went. I’m mid 40’s and was the third youngest in the team!!

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Played for the first time in 9 years last week at what turned out to be a thankfully very low level. Managed to get the ball down the other end off a short run and had to go in at the end - a stirring 2* from about 8 balls. Enjoyed it. Only bowled 3 overs in an evening game and could hardly move for days. God knows how people play a full day into their 50’s.

I'm not in my 50s, but from my own experience of playing an intense 20 over game is considerably more tiring than a club level 45/50 over game.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Not sure about the format for this world cup. Going to be a lot of dead rubbers in the last couple of weeks of the group stage.

14 is a good number, I think. Two groups of 7, 6 games each in the group stage, top 4 from each side go into the quarters. The incentive to finish higher is that ties and no results go to the higher placed side (ala the 1999 semi-final). They could even mix it up a bit and give the higher-placed team first option, ie no toss. 

Just now, A_S said:

14 is a good number, I think. Two groups of 7, 6 games each in the group stage, top 4 from each side go into the quarters. The incentive to finish higher is that ties and no results go to the higher placed side (ala the 1999 semi-final). They could even mix it up a bit and give the higher-placed team first option, ie no toss. 

Yeah, that sounds much better. The group stages of this tournament last until well in to July. Imagine if you lose your first four or five games. Got fuck all to play for and about three weeks of games left.

310/315 or whatever we end up with will almost certainly be enough as South Africa are no great shakes with the bat, but we really haven't managed this innings very well. If we had played like this with Steyn playing we'd have posted a score South Africa probably would have chased down.