You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

They've been liberated out of the shadow of Kohli in this innings.  

Kohli was probably wishing an innings like this came earlier in the series! 

It was about as far from a typical 4-1 series as you could get, as India were in all matches bar Lords, when they copped some shitty luck for the conditions in their 1st innings. 

I'm looking forward to see how they fare in Australia later this year, though looking at the Australian squad selected to play in the UAE, fuck knows what the team will look like come our summer! 

26 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Moeen Ali says he was racially abused by an Aussie during the ashes. 

I was reading about this yesterday. Why wasn't the accusation taken more seriously at the time and not three years later ?

Moeen Ali: Cricket Australia to investigate claims England all-rounder was called 'Osama'

Cricket Australia is to investigate claims made by England all-rounder Moeen Ali that an Australian player called him 'Osama' during the 2015 Ashes.

England were hosts for the series and won it 3-2 to regain the Ashes.

Moeen, 31, has made the accusation in his soon to be released autobiography.

"Remarks of this nature are unacceptable and have no place in our sport, or in society," said a Cricket Australia spokesperson.

"We have a clear set of values and behaviours that comes with representing our country.

"We take this matter very seriously, and are following up with the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) as a matter of urgency to seek further clarification around the alleged incident."

In an extract of Moeen's book in The Times, he said: "An Australian player had turned to me on the field and said, 'Take that, Osama'. I could not believe what I had heard.

"I remember going really red. I have never been so angry on a cricket field.

"I told a couple of the guys what the player had said to me and I think Trevor Bayliss [the England coach] must have raised it with Darren Lehmann, the Australians' coach.

"Lehmann asked the player, 'Did you call Moeen Osama'?" He denied it, saying, 'No, I said, 'Take that, you part-timer'."

The alleged slur appears to be a reference to Islamist terrorist Osama Bin Laden. Moeen, who was born in Birmingham, is a Muslim of Pakistani and English heritage.

Moeen claimed the incident happened during the first Test, where he scored 77 runs and took five wickets as England beat Australia by 169 runs at Cardiff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45532699

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I was reading about this yesterday. Why wasn't the accusation taken more seriously at the time and not three years later ?

Moeen Ali: Cricket Australia to investigate claims England all-rounder was called 'Osama'

Moeen, 31, has made the accusation in his soon to be released autobiography.

That's the big issue I have with it. Surely something this serious has to be settled one way or another at the time, rather than through a fucking book release years later.

Another issue with it being now is that with recent events in South Africa, the behaviour of players in the Australian team has never been under more scrutiny, so I hope this doesn't unfairly colour any investigation of an incident from more than 3 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

England win the one-day series against Sri Lanka. The series has been an absolute ballache because it was scheduled to take place during the rainy season. Of the 4 matches, one was a washout, one ended up as basically a T20 game, and the other two were settled by D/L.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ. Just turned it on and seen that pitch and the outfield. Did a quick Google search to see if they actually have groundsmen in Sri Lanka and it turns out they’ve done exactly what was asked of them!

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/sri-lanka-cricket-suspend-two-involved-match-fixing-allegations-al-jazeera-indika-mendis-galle/2018-05-28

Brilliant work by Foakes to stump Chandimal, could England have a wicketkeeper who's also a good batsman rather then the other way around?

Sri Lanka 136-5 England 206 ahead you'd normally say that's a handy lead but we all know England aren't usually very good at finishing off the tail...