You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

By a distance.

Compare his average to the rest. He's got a world class 70s/80s bowler's average in this era (no-one else has).

Just checked Steyn has 421 test wickets at an average of just over 22, Anderson 561 with an average of just over 26, Anderson’s average seems to have come down, I though he averaged around the 28 mark. Steyn was a beast though, great , great bowler.

Dunno. Wasn't old enough to have seen the likes of Holding, Marshall, Lillie etc.

Certainly considerably fewer top class quicks now. Even the 90s era had the likes of Waqar, Wasim, Pollock, Donald, Walsh, Ambrose etc.

I have to be honest I much preferred 90s cricket to current day.

• Upvote 1

Dunno. Wasn't old enough to have seen the likes of Holding, Marshall, Lillie etc.

Certainly considerably fewer top class quicks now. Even the 90s era had the likes of Waqar, Wasim, Pollock, Donald, Walsh, Ambrose etc.

I have to be honest I much preferred 90s cricket to current day.

We were pretty shit back then though.

I can see next year's Ashes being dominated by the ball, with Australian batsmen largely clueless when it swings and England needing a new top order.

India need to dismiss England for 150 or under and even then it might be too much to chase.

Just checked Steyn has 421 test wickets at an average of just over 22, Anderson 561 with an average of just over 26, Anderson’s average seems to have come down, I though he averaged around the 28 mark. Steyn was a beast though, great , great bowler.

Anderson’s average was around 29 not that long ago but he’s been absolutely superb the last couple of years so it’s come down a bit.

He’s been such a fantastic bowler Anderson, he’s not one of the all time great quick bowlers but he’s right up there when you’re talking about swing.

Sensational bowler and will be sorely missed when he retires.

• Upvote 3

Anderson’s average was around 29 not that long ago but he’s been absolutely superb the last couple of years so it’s come down a bit.

He’s been such a fantastic bowler Anderson, he’s not one of the all time great quick bowlers but he’s right up there when you’re talking about swing.

Absolutely no doubt about that mate, a true craftsman who really could swing it around corners.

He should just be played in home test series, I don't see the point at his age dragging him all over the world to bowl on dead flat surfaces