You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

He's been picked as a bowler for this test, so if Woakes returns perhaps Ali would replace a Batsman...but who? It's the openers most under pressure at the moment. Drop Jennings and have Bairstow open? Doesn't seem like a great option.

I’d try;

1. ?

2. ?

3. Ali

4. Root

5. Buttler

6. Stokes

7. Bairstow - keeper

Number 8 would be Woakes, Rashid or Curran depending where and who we were playing. Opener positions up for debate, Rory Burns seems next in line I guess.

For the more knowledgeable on here why is Root wanting to bat at 4 rather than 3 such a massive issue and why was Kohli giving him so much chirp over it when he came to the wicket? What difference does it make and why?

Batting at No4 rather than No3 in this England team gives you an extra couple of minutes to go for a shit at the start of the innings.

His batting record speaks for itself and he was player of the series in the only away Ashes win from either side since 2001. I've always thought the mark of a genuinely great player was their ability to perform away from home and his record away is actually better than his home numbers. 

You'd think with Jennings struggling and Cook retiring, the openers around the country would be wanting to pull their fingers out and perform, as it's the most open I've ever seen both the 1 & 2 positions in an England team just about in my lifetime. Atherton, Trescothick, Vaughan, Strauss and Cook have held one and sometimes both spots, so this is a bit of a potential crisis for the England team, with a home Ashes series less than a year away and from what I can see, only 7 Tests being played between now and then (including the 5th of this series). 

Interesting times.