You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

Yeah I remember us all chatting about this team and comparing it to the 90’s and I thought that was wrong. Hard to argue with it now though, the collapses are happening far too often.

Good players on paper but not in reality, in the 5 day format anyway.

The conditions aren’t easy, India would have been skittled without Kohli’s score but we’re making fundamental errors like playing out in front, trying to flick balls to leg when there’s a short leg and leg slip etc.

The only hope we have from here is if Buttler plays some strokes and stays in for a couple of hours.

Don't get Malan at all. He seemed to get picked for the Test side on the basis of a good T20 innings against South Africa last summer - he's a decent back foot player so did alright in Australia but he's done absolutely nothing of note. I don't even think his FC record is anything to write home about, so that seems to be all it takes now.

Shite.

Everyone is playing too much of the short version game to be much cop at a 5 day test, unless you're an absolute top player. Most the shots batters get out to are ones they would try in limited over games. It's only going to get worse for the test side when the 100 ball game comes in regularly.

Don't get Malan at all. He seemed to get picked for the Test side on the basis of a good T20 innings against South Africa last summer - he's a decent back foot player so did alright in Australia but he's done absolutely nothing of note. I don't even think his FC record is anything to write home about, so that seems to be all it takes now.

Shite.

He was probably our best batsmen in the winter so that’s why they stuck with him. He won’t last though, i’ve seen enough of him in English conditions to be confident in that.

The problem we have is that there aren’t many other options. Limited overs cricket is having a big impact on the test match format for England, unfortunately. That’s the only reason I can come up with to explain what we’re seeing.

Everyone is playing too much of the short version game to be much cop at a 5 day test, unless you're an absolute top player. Most the shots batters get out to are ones they would try in limited over games. It's only going to get worse for the test side when the 100 ball game comes in regularly.

What’s Alastair Cook’s excuse?

Stokes gone as well. Pathetic. This could be finished today.

Barring weather issues it will definitely be over today.We're now at the point where not collapsing isn't the norm

If/when we lose this one I fear that drop from Kohli in the first inning will haunt the team for the remainder of the series, and the series will be gone by the 3rd test, that's how bad the test team is at the moment.

If Kohli is gonna do it then this is the time because our test team is absolutely woeful right now.

Think 'woeful' is a bit harsh Captain .

They were rubbish last winter obviously, but on home soil a team with Cook, Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Stokes, Anderson & Broad can always be a handful if they 'click'. Obviously problems at the top of the order & with the back-up bowling to be solved.

India 21/10 to win the first test & Kohli 11/4 to be top scorer in the Indian first innings if you fancy them odds.

I hope you at least made a few quid, mate.

Maybe a recall for Ian Bell already has 3 county championship 100's and is averaging over 50...

And at least has a decent technique to last over an hour which is in short supply in this England team

I've been waiting for about eight years for Hildreth to get his chance...

One problem here is that even when India bowl a relatively poor ball, we don't punish them. Sharma has thrown a few down the leg side and we're just leaving them, so it builds pressure.

They need to reverse the pressure back onto the bowler. Defend the decent balls but make sure you punish the bad ones.