You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso - Farewell to a legend

Bjornebye

• 1 month later...
Former Liverpool favourite Xabi Alonso has rejected the chance to become Bayern Munich’s assistant manager.

The 35-year-old hung up his boots at the end of last season after three seasons at Bayern.

The Liverpool Echo reported that Carlo Ancelotti had offered Alonso the chance to be his assistant but that the midfielder, along with Bayern legend Philipp Lahm, snubbed the offer.

Alonso and Ancelotti spent two seasons together at Real Madrid before teaming up again for more success at the Allianz Arena and the Italian was keen to keep his former charge alongside him.

As Bayern returned for pre-season, Ancelotti formally unveiled Frenchman Wlily Sagnol as his new lieutenant but revealed he was not first choice for the position.

Ancelotti said: “I wanted an assistant who knew the club. I tried to convince Philipp Lahm before the end of the season, I also tried to convince Xabi Alonso. They refused.

“Willy suits perfectly, he has the right profile, he has been successful at Bordeaux, and he knows the players like Coman or Ribery, and he will improve our trainer team.”

As for Alonso, he has not yet committed to any new role since his retirement although he told the Liverpool Echo a few months ago that a visit to Liverpool with his son Jontxu was definitely on the cards for next season.

“That’s 100% sure,” he said.

“We are really looking forward to going back. I have heard great things about the new Main Stand

“My son is desperate to go. He’s Liverpool born and always asks: ‘Dad. when are we going to Liverpool?’

“I say: ‘Okay, but at the moment I have busy weekends! We will go, don’t worry.’”

• 2 months later...

Welcome back Xabi ?

‘I can see him at Liverpool’ – Balague on Spaniard who’s just made big announcement
Posted by Jordan Chamberlain  September 29, 2017

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Xabi-Alonso-Jamie-Carragher-640x400.jpg

Xabi Alonso, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher forming a neo-Liverpool bootroom?

Could it really ever happen?!

According to Spanish journalist Guillem Balague, maybe!

SEE MORE:

Klopp’s answer to Bayern/Ancelotti Question will please Liverpool fans…

The reporter was discussing Xabi Alonso’s immediate future, with the legendary, recently retired midfielder announcing this week that he’s going into management.

“He wanted to play under Pep because he was already thinking about managing. I can see him at Liverpool, perhaps with Gerrard and Carra next to him? He is open to styles, which means he is not one to stick to one philosophy, ” Balague told Sky Sports.

“By the way he played you can tell he wants to dominate games, and to do that you must have the ball, recover it early, be very physical and fast. But will he have the players? 

“I have the impression he will start with a good team, not too low down, but I haven’t spoken to him about that yet. I cannot wait to see him on the bench.”

The problem with combining Alonso, Carra and Stevie is that they’re all big enough characters (and egos) to work as no.1s – not no.2s!

Gerrard has ambitions of management and is currently learning his trade with our U18s. The long-term aim is that he moves to the U23s and perhaps one day takes over from Jurgen Klopp.

Carra talks a very good game working as a pundit for Sky Sports, but as Gary Neville proved with Valencia, that’s no guarantee of on-field success.

We think Alonso may be given the Bayern job, actually. He flourished there as a player during the final three seasons of his career and an appointment would reflect Zinedine Zidane’s at Real Madrid’s a few years back, when the Frenchman replaced Carlo Ancelotti – coincidentally just sacked by the Germans.