You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alcolism

Kloppite

Guest Pistonbroke

I used to drink shit loads, mainly just of a weekend. Two bottles of Jim Beam + beer/cider over a weekend were the norm, mainly because I enjoyed it and would always have mates around watching the sport and listening to music whilst chewing the fat. Due to health problems which were brought on by various things, alcohol was obviously not helping, I knocked it on the head last summer. I still enjoy an occasional drink and tbh I enjoy it more than the binge sessions I used to have. I've probably had less to drink since last June than I would have consumed over one weekend. I actually didn't find the change in health style that hard, especially considering I was probably classed as a heavy drinker for a good 33 years. I was lucky that all of my mates are not the type to twist your arm for a session, in fact most of them have knocked the heavy drinking on the head themselves. I think it is important to surround yourself with good people, the rest really is down to self control. If you struggle in general with self control then it is probably wise to join a group of people to fight things together. I managed to knock it on the head myself, but if I hadn't I wouldn't of hesitated in getting help. 

I agree with the binge drinking part. I've got a lot of alcoholics in my family and I don't think I've 100% escaped it genetically. Once I pop I can't stop which leads to other stuff and further bad decisions. I always wished I could go out and have a few and get off at 1am after 5 or 6 pints but it's impossible for me. Then the hangovers and impact it has on my life in every area lasts for days. Some people seem to deal with hangovers in one or two days and move on - sometimes mine last a lot longer and are rooted in depression and self pity. My sister doesn't drink now either so I don't think it's a coincicnden that no one in my family drinks anymore. Just doesn't work for us.

think most people witness or experience it at some level. watching a close female friend destroy herself through it at the minute. she has a genetic brain disease which brings on the symptoms of compulsion and bad decision making, drink being at the root of the problems that have beset her life.

never abandon but i won't enable so it's a difficult one for sure.

think most people witness or experience it at some level. watching a close female friend destroy herself through it at the minute. she has a genetic brain disease which brings on the symptoms of compulsion and bad decision making, drink being at the root of the problems that have beset her life.

never abandon but i won't enable so it's a difficult one for sure.

Bad decisions eh?

She doesn't happen to have a phone number does she....Rubble Rouser knows a councillor

Alcohol doesn't complain, vex or tax me. It unwinds me. I'm more at one with the rhythm of the glass, than I am with the rhythm of life, at times. 

*As I leave to go on the ale* Enjoy your weekend people. 

Song right there mate

giphy.gif

and this gif just because I found it when finding the last one and everyone loves a treat*

giphy.gif

*ripping their bastard unsmoked cock right out of the socket 

• Upvote 1

Song right there mate

giphy.gif

and this gif just because I found it when finding the last one and everyone loves a treat*

giphy.gif

*ripping their bastard unsmoked cock right out of the socket 

must be all the excitement of you hosting a Eurovision party

Haven't been drunk for about a year at this point. Had binge drinking problems instead of full on drinking all the time.

The main thing that's helped has been knowing that if I let my guard down even once and wake up with a hangover that triggers off an anxiety attack it isn't going to be good. That's still in my mind every single time I drink, although it's been more of something to clearly remember instead of get stressed about over time.

The best thing has been gradually finding that if I can actually relax enough and take time with even a small amount like a couple of small bottles that can be fine. One or two Baileys here and there has usually been ok too. A normal sized bottle of Baileys was just finished off recently but it'd been here since Christmas.

Drinking so much less was boring and seemed pointless at first, eventually that passed though.

• Upvote 1

I used to drink shit loads, mainly just of a weekend. Two bottles of Jim Beam + beer/cider over a weekend were the norm, mainly because I enjoyed it and would always have mates around watching the sport and listening to music whilst chewing the fat. Due to health problems which were brought on by various things, alcohol was obviously not helping, I knocked it on the head last summer. I still enjoy an occasional drink and tbh I enjoy it more than the binge sessions I used to have. I've probably had less to drink since last June than I would have consumed over one weekend. I actually didn't find the change in health style that hard, especially considering I was probably classed as a heavy drinker for a good 33 years. I was lucky that all of my mates are not the type to twist your arm for a session, in fact most of them have knocked the heavy drinking on the head themselves. I think it is important to surround yourself with good people, the rest really is down to self control. If you struggle in general with self control then it is probably wise to join a group of people to fight things together. I managed to knock it on the head myself, but if I hadn't I wouldn't of hesitated in getting help. 

Seems an obvious question, but are you going to change your username now then?

Great weekend, though the west end prices of £24 for 3 pints and 3 double Vodkas' with Lemonade coming in at bang on £50 - almost had me thinking about packing the ale in.....In the west end. 

Ale is ace, without it, life would be well shit. 

Drink.Drink.Drink.Drink

That would be an ecumenical matter

Guest Pistonbroke

Seems an obvious question, but are you going to change your username now then?

I should, but I can't be arsed. 

• 3 months later...

Last night, I finally faced up to the fact that over more than the last 25 years, I have a drink problem and in certain circumstances a drink dependency.

I did, quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done, I attended my first AA meeting. I don't want to put to much hope for my future based, on one meeting but I do already feel by facing up to what I am , I can begin to  take the first step on a long long road to recovery. My only fear is time, how do I fill the time I spent for so many years drinking, so with this in mind I am going to another meeting today and hopefully will continue in this vain. 

Its a grim reality, but its my reality and I really want to get better.

• Upvote 15

Last night, I finally faced up to the fact that over more than the last 25 years, I have a drink problem and in certain circumstances a drink dependency.

I did, quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done, I attended my first AA meeting. I don't want to put to much hope for my future based, on one meeting but I do already feel by facing up to what I am , I can begin to take the first step on a long long road to recovery. My only fear is time, how do I fill the time I spent for so many years drinking, so with this in mind I am going to another meeting today and hopefully will continue in this vain.

Get plenty of meetings in early doors. Maybe try and find a few new hobbies to pass the time?

Early days is all about just not drinking. Things do get a lot easier in time.

I did, quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done, I attended my first AA meeting. I don't want to put to much hope for my future based, on one meeting but I do already feel by facing up to what I am , I can begin to  take the first step on a long long road to recovery. My only fear is time, how do I fill the time I spent for so many years drinking, so with this in mind I am going to another meeting today and hopefully will continue in this vain. 

Good luck mate. Easy to say but don't take the 1st one and don't think of the next day, week, month. Just today.

Good luck with this mate.