You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FAO Tony Moanero

Champ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/18/crumbs-a-history-of-biscuits-in-15-fantastic-facts-from-flatulence-cure-to-phenomenal-fuel

Some bed time reading for you, big man.

‘6. Biscuits are why Liverpudlians are called scousers
Ship’s biscuits were not meant to be eaten dry but first soaked and then used as a base for a stew called lobscouse, which was a standard meal for sailors. Scraps of whatever meat or fish was to hand were added: seamen in Lapland used walrus, the Germans used herring and the English added salt beef and vinegar. In Liverpool, “scouse” became such a common meal among the dock workers that they – and later all Liverpudlians – were called scousers.’

21 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/oct/18/crumbs-a-history-of-biscuits-in-15-fantastic-facts-from-flatulence-cure-to-phenomenal-fuel

Some bed time reading for you, big man.

‘6. Biscuits are why Liverpudlians are called scousers
Ship’s biscuits were not meant to be eaten dry but first soaked and then used as a base for a stew called lobscouse, which was a standard meal for sailors. Scraps of whatever meat or fish was to hand were added: seamen in Lapland used walrus, the Germans used herring and the English added salt beef and vinegar. In Liverpool, “scouse” became such a common meal among the dock workers that they – and later all Liverpudlians – were called scousers.’

Apparently its called lobskaus and came from Norwegian sailors who passed it onto English sailors. Scousers adopted the 'scouse' stew part and further afield in Wigan and so on it's called 'lobby.'

This is another similar story I have read about.

• Upvote 1

I was in Boots in Bootle Strand yesterday and there was a custard cream on the floor near the checkout.  That probably wouldn't be an unexpected item in a shop that actually sold biscuits, but it struck me as incongruous in the chemist's.  I was tempted to photograph it for this thread, but there was no way of doing it discreetly and I didn't fancy trying to explain what I was doing.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I was in Boots in Bootle Strand yesterday and there was a custard cream on the floor near the checkout.  That probably wouldn't be an unexpected item in a shop that actually sold biscuits, but it struck me as incongruous in the chemist's.  I was tempted to photograph it for this thread, but there was no way of doing it discreetly and I didn't fancy trying to explain what I was doing.

Tony had been looking for that everywhere. He was beside himself with worry 

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

For fuck’s sake, just seen this. Switched Sky Arts on and it’s Noel Gallagher. Well, for the next ten minutes. Manic Street Preacgers are on next.

Im, sadly, watching the Noel thing and it’s one of the most cringeworthy things I’ve seen in years.

Hes lost all self awareness.

It’s almost Partrigdesque. 

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

Im, sadly, watching the Noel thing and it’s one of the most cringeworthy things I’ve seen in years.

Yep. Watched it last night, the music was ace but he's too self indulgent these days. That said, he's earned the right. He's an amazing songwriter.  

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It’s almost Partrigdesque. 

3:10 to Yuma, which I will be nominating for the 00s tournament, has just started on BBC1.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. Watched it last night, the music was ace but he's too self indulgent these days. That said, he's earned the right. He's an amazing songwriter.  

I know I take the piss, and they really aren't for me, but for a couple of years they rode the wave of the zeitgeist and were 'the biggest band' around, and I respect that and I have a real nostalgia for the feelings of youth when they came on in a club/pub.

But fucking hell, he has disappeared so far up his own arse he'll be able to internally watch himself sing.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I know I take the piss, and they really aren't for me, but for a couple of years they rode the wave of the zeitgeist and were 'the biggest band' around, and I respect that and I have a real nostalgia for the feelings of youth when they came on in a club/pub.

But fucking hell, he has disappeared so far up his own arse he'll be able to internally watch himself sing.

Mate people who aren't into them always remember Wonderwall and Roll With It etc. An Oasis fan knows thing like this. 

10 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Mate people who aren't into them always remember Wonderwall and Roll With It etc. An Oasis fan knows thing like this. 

Just gave that a listen. Listed 20 seconds and had to bin it off. Awful.