You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Team selection

Rashid

Josemi's pace is irrelevant. His positioning is all wrong - and it's not just his tendency to drift inside.

He generally starts from a position where he is too far off his player - he should be 'touch tight' to them, so within touching distance when leaning in on them. He then compounds that problem by rushing in too close once the ball is being delivered to them - it makes it simplicity itself to then turn him on either side - and his rushing in usually leaves him in a position where he cannot recover.

To be honest, a few coaching sessions should improve him - anyone got Rafa's number so I can give him a call ?

Getting too close could see him get turned inside out by tricky players and leave him catching up all the time.

A combination of both is required, especially when you consider that he is quite slow.

Gary Neville is somehow touted as the best RB in the country would you swap Josemi for him? As you say lets see where we are in 20 odd games with him. Mind you Bjorn Tore Kvarme looked a world class player when he first joined GULP!!!

John, it's funny you mention Neville, because after my initial reply, I started thinking about other right backs in the league who could handle the best players and, despite my instincts, I think Neville is one. He really surprised me over the summer when he was up against Thierry Henry; it was "back pocket" time. I also think Lauren could handle them, as could the IFHC right back Ferreira.

If we want to be the best, we need to sign the best - which Josemi could still become if, as James points out, he gets some focused coaching on his positioning.

He generally starts from a position where he is too far off his player - he should be 'touch tight' to them, so within touching distance when leaning in on them

That's "Zonal" arse for you though isn;t it?

I blame the system foe that completely. He's not been the only culprit of not being close to his man this season but that's all down to us not using a man-marking system surely.

If we're going to use this zone mallarky then the players I suppose have to adhere to it, that's all Josemi is doing imo.

Guest JamesA
Getting too close could see him get turned inside out by tricky players and leave him catching up all the time.

A combination of both is required, especially when you consider that he is quite slow.

If you get touch tight then you will not be too close.

Guest JamesA
That's "Zonal" arse for you though isn;t it?

I blame the system foe that completely. He's not been the only culprit of not being close to his man this season but that's all down to us not using a man-marking system surely.

If we're going to use this zone mallarky then the players I suppose have to adhere to it, that's all Josemi is doing imo.

Let's get rid of this 'zonal' misconception...

The part of the game where, to my mind, we use 'zonal marking' and it falls down is defending set pieces - and I think against Chelsea we moved away from it and towards a more man-marking set up. The problem for me with zonal marking at set pieces is that it is very reactive and the players generally do not attack the ball or run with a player keeping him tightly marked - you wait for something to happen in your zone and then deal with it.

Josemi standing too far off his man is NOT down to any form of zone defence. It's just bad technique. If his technique with positioning was better then his lack of pace would not matter because he would not allow a player to turn him or get past him without being tackled.

James saying a lack of pace does not matter, in the Premier League of all places, is like saying goals don't matter. Pace is now a virtual pre-requisit to play for a top club and it's no coincidence that half of Arsenal's entire squad could do a sub-11 second 100m.

I completely take your point (which I made first, before you dressed it up in "lah-di-dah Uefa B" language) about his positioning, but to expect any defender to never get turned is unrealistic. Therefore, when that happens he will need pace in order to recover.

Pace is nothing without technique.

Obviously; refer once again to the Arsenal squad.

As for Steph, of course he has great technique, but his (and Sami's) lack of pace was the main reason for our "so-deep-we're-six-feet-under" approach to defending over the last couple of seasons. His lack of pace is also the reason he is available to other clubs come January.

Slow players are increasingly falling by the wayside. There will always be a place for a genius a la Kenny, particularly playing as a second striker, but this move towards pace has been inevitable since the abolition of the back pass law and the change in interpretation of the law governing offside.

The first thing I always want to see in a player is great technique; but after that, qualities like mental toughness, physical strength, and pace are just about inseparable.

Guest LEE R HARKIN
No one seems to be picking up my "not at all convinced by Josemi" vibes. Does anyone have a view? I'm saying poor positioning, no pace, commits himself too early on the negative side; commited, early days on the positive. What're y'all sayin?

I thought he started very shakily on Sunday Carra got him out of the shit at least twice in the first half. I thought he did ok 2nd half though. His lack of pace is a big worry.

• 1 month later...
Josemi's pace is irrelevant. His positioning is all wrong - and it's not just his tendency to drift inside.

He generally starts from a position where he is too far off his player - he should be 'touch tight' to them, so within touching distance when leaning in on them. He then compounds that problem by rushing in too close once the ball is being delivered to them - it makes it simplicity itself to then turn him on either side - and his rushing in usually leaves him in a position where he cannot recover.

To be honest, a few coaching sessions should improve him - anyone got Rafa's number so I can give him a call ?

JamesA. Your comments of Oct 5th are now proven to be spot on! Tell Rafa, please! Anyone got Rafa's number? Give it to JamesA. Amen

JamesA. Your comments of Oct 5th are now proven to be spot on! Tell Rafa, please! Anyone got Rafa's number? Give it to JamesA. Amen

The comments where he repeated my point, you mean? Rafa's already been on the phone. I've told him to give Finnan a run.

The comments where he repeated my point, you mean? Rafa's already been on the phone. I've told him to give Finnan a run.

You're right. Credit should be given to you. I'm in Amen-mood today, so Amen to you too.

You've allready spoken to Rafa I see. He isn't much of a listener is he? Call him again, Paul. This time, tell him hard! :wallbutt:

I think Paul should put a waiter costume on, ring Rafa's door bell, tell whoever answers that your Manuel from Barcelona and you have some advice for the manaher.

Oh, and don't mention the war to Didi.

Can I bash Josemi over the head with a tea-spoon and call him a waste of space?

Can I bash Josemi over the head with a tea-spoon and call him a waste of space?

He'd think it's Josemi himself. Looks like Manuel, I bet he speaks like him as well. That's it, go up to Rafa's house, ring the bell, when the door opens just drift inside as Josemi would have. Go Maaanuuueelll!