You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Losing doesn't hurt them enough

Marko121

I don't start a lot of threads on here, but yesterday pissed me off on so many levels.

I thought Sakho was disrespectful to the fans. I get that he maybe wanted to stick it to Klopp but that should be private.

I don't think losing matches effects too many of the players, if you think of some of the lads that have played for us over the years, how many would have took that lying down?

This feeling also extends to the owners- we have a bench full of kids and shite and there is no ambition.

• Upvote 1

When Klopp came out with his now sort of famous "I can't stop thinking about that fucking crystal palace game" I was made up.  When we lose I want every player and coach involved to feel sick to their stomach, to lose sleep that night, to examine every step they took before and during the game to see what they could've done differently to win.

Sadly I don't think it happens.  Post match selfies after a win at WBA mean jack shit. 

The squad is so threadbare and shit that the players don't need to perform to an acceptable level because there's no one to take their place. You can be out of form for 20 games and still expect to be picked.

Hit the nail on the head mate.

The worst part is that i really thought that a winner and a man with the passion of Klopp would come in and cull the weak minded and bodied from the squad and replace with a different tougher and more resilient breed with more nous, bollocks and pride

Here we are 3 windows down and the same problems remain.

I'd have less of a problem with it if they went down screaming and kicking and fighting in a blaze of hurt yesterday...but no timid and soft as ever.

In fairness, the 'three windows' point is slightly misleading. Two of those have been January windows when business is traditionally rarer. I don't swallow the 'no value in January' line because we've debunked it ourselves with our own signings made in that month in recent seasons, but it's naive to expect a 'cull' in the winter window. With clubs reticent to buy that month, it's difficult to shift 5-6 players, and not only that but then there's the issue of replacing them. It's far too high a turnover of player midway through a season at a point when the games come thick and fast.

The issue though, I think, is slightly catch 22. Even though there are plenty of issues with the squad that I think we're all well aware of, there's actually not that many I'd shift this summer simply because of how threadbare it is. I'd give Moreno the bullet, and I think Lucas and Sturridge will be moved on, but beyond that, I wouldn't be going around booting players out left, right and centre. The priority has to be players who can immediately improve the first XI. Centre half, centre mid and striker would already have us looking stronger as a team and consequently, the squad then looks better as you have players we're relying on now dropping to the bench and filling the gaps for injuries, suspensions and congested periods.

One of the things I actually think we're suffering from right now is how hasty we were in getting rid of players last summer. I know he's not a world beater but somebody like Joe Allen was performing well under Klopp and he would definitely have gotten games this season given how things have shaped up. Similarly, I realise he's not getting a game for Burnley, but I find the decision to loan Flanagan out bizarre. Again, he'd have gotten games here and would have meant we could have occasionally given Milner and Clyne a breather. I even think loaning Markovic out in January was daft. Again, no world beater, bit of a shithouse, but it would have been another body to have on the bench instead of relying on a load of kids who I doubt have even started shaving.

In an ideal world, yeah, a dozen or so of the shithouses would be bombed out and we'd replace them with world beaters, they'd hit the ground running and we'd steamroll teams next season. Thing is, it's just not practical, isn't it? Klopp's got a massive job on his hands and there's no doubt it'll take time, maybe even longer than he or a lot of fans appreciated. It's why Champions League is crucial and we simply have to get it this season. At least then the right calibre of player can be targeted, rather than taking punts and crossing our fingers if we end up in the Europa League.

• Upvote 2

Klopp needs to take his share of blame, Fucking hell there was no mystery about Palace's game plan. Fat blert could have put an advert in the Echo and we wouldn't have learnt anything new. Sakho should have been playing , in a red shirt, and these fucking over paid wankers should be kicked repeatedly in the plums until they stop letting shite score from corners, Better still learn not to play into their hands and give them set pieces. In open play teams like Palace represent no threat. Keep the ball and let them give us fk's around the box 

They're just not very good, a lack of fighters has been an issue since Carragher hung up his boots. The fact Henderson is caption says it all, i heard him on a radio advert the other day and almost fell asleep at the wheel.

Bottling out in finals and runnins is what saps all your enthusiasm for this side, you don't get excited by a good run because you know it'll all be for nothing when the shit hits the fan.

• Upvote 2

Klopp needs to take his share of blame, Fucking hell there was no mystery about Palace's game plan. Fat blert could have put an advert in the Echo and we wouldn't have learnt anything new. Sakho should have been playing , in a red shirt, and these fucking over paid wankers should be kicked repeatedly in the plums until they stop letting shite score from corners, Better still learn not to play into their hands and give them set pieces. In open play teams like Palace represent no threat. Keep the ball and let them give us fk's around the box 

They do to some teams actually, teams that have a dodgy defence and Lovren at left CB.

In hindsight, the 30 inspired minutes against Dortmund gave a false idea of this team. Had we gone out at that stage, Klopp might have abandoned some of the sentimentality and loyalty towards players that helped him one up his old club.