You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

For a leader of the opposition, he doesn't actually oppose much, does he.

Exactly, although he's in a difficult position with this, generally speaking the opposition should absolutely not oppose a general election. However Corbyn should recognise his total failure, oppose this GE and let someone else take his place in time for 2020.

He's a goner either way, at least swallow your pride and go on better terms for the good of the wider population.

• Upvote 1

SD is going to have a whale of a time with this

He is, and it'll be shit. But I'm more concerned about the whale of a time the press and the Tories will have. This is going to be Labour's biggest embarrassment, worse than Foot.

I'm looking on the bright side. I was originally resigned to another 8 years of Tories as I couldn't see Labour winning in 2020.

Those extra two years for everyone to see how shit the impact of a Tory brexit is might give them a chance in 2022 though so hopefully it will just be 5 years of Tories.

I'm getting on your bus, circling round until the right time. I was probably already on it but now this GE is actually happening I jumped off for a bit in desperation but no doubt will calmly hop back on at some point soon.

Whatever she say's about the opposition this is purely about getting a much larger working majority so she can marginalise the lunatic right wing Brexiteer MP's who won't accept the inevitable associate membership we'll end up with. Could it be that May and co have now found out just how difficult delivering a 'have our cake and eat it' Brexit will be?

If she can take out Labour and UKIP as well that's a bonus for her.

Could well be a lot of truth in that.We will see how loud the rabid dogs bark in the campaign. 

I always though it would take an election to get Brexit done and I never believed the lunatics on the right would get anything like the divorce settlement they want,

He hasn't got a hope in hell. If he left now and a unity candidate was installed, someone who the whole party could get behind - at least for now - and they pledged to derail Brexit and keep the UK together, they'd have a fighting chance, as things stand there's no chance at all. 

• Upvote 1

Corbyn was 980-1 to be labour leader with Betfair and 200-1 with Ladbrokes to be labour leader he is now 8-10-1 to be the next prime minister.

The bookies are running scared. Corbyn looks like he knows Mays lizard mask will drop during a 7 week campaign.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LabourEoin/status/854325718557364224/video/1

10/1 in a 2 horse race? I wouldn't be putting any money on that.

Guest Pistonbroke

The Lib Dems are just as bad. They set themselves back years for 5 minutes in the limelight getting back scuttled by the Tories. UKIP are just a bunch of knuckle draggers or thick cunts whose one drum doesn't need banging anymore. The Greens will never be a major party unless a country could afford to spunk 700 trillion billion on making policies a reality. 

Unless a strong new party evolves you could be looking at Tory rule for ages. Despite all the shit they have pulled off they are miles ahead in the polls, that is more down to the voter than the party themselves. Unless the middle class wannabes start suffering, and the EU can no longer be blamed for the shit way politicians govern your country I can't see anything changing. Of course, a major war will change things, but we don't want that ever to happen, well unless you are a stupid fuck.