You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Next week, when Corbyn becomes Prime Minister of the UK, the likes of Toby Young and Dan Hodges will be receiving tickets to Siberia.

I fucking detest Hodges, the smug cunt, I mean just look at him

Put this on about him on here the other day but only as a link this is the full article , very good too and sums him up to a tee

hodges.jpg

I try my best to avoid the work of the commentator, Dan Hodges. I must admit though, it can be an arduous task.

His work is akin to a car crash, or a drunken couple knocking-boots down a dimly-lit back alley on a Friday night. You cannot help but strain your neck for a gander. You know that you shouldn’t, but you can’t help it. Despite the instantaneous feeling of detestation and subsequent resolution to never again debase yourself in that manner – you know deep-down, that you will.

The stink of his literary clostridium envelopes the nostrils as though you have thrust your face into a bag of rancid mutton offal. Hodges is addictive; not because he gives you a high, or feelings of euphoria, but because he is a an unpleasant curiosity. Inhale, disgorge, repeat. It’s a vicious circle.

Hodges may well be the most ‘lumpen’ of the current breed of lumpen-commentariat suckerfish that feed in the darkest recesses of Westminster punditry. Laughably, when he left the Torygraph and took up residence at the Mail on Sunday, his new employers declared him to be “Britain’s best political columnist”. Even the full-of-himself Hodges must have cringed at such lofty and unwarranted praise.

Hodges is nowhere near the top table of political commentators. His bratish diatribes have just about earned him a spot sat with the likes of Julia Hartley-Brewer, Harry Cole, and other such inane, second rate political scribblers.

There are several problems with Hodges. Not least his objectionable personality. His sneering, entitled, and bitter disposition exudes from every article and from every pitiful utterance on social media. His Twitter feed is a cavalcade of conceited and sarcastic spewings. He argues with anyone and everyone; launching straw man after straw man, gratuitously twisting words, meanings, and events with obligatory retweet invitations to his fedora-sporting fanboys to attack his detractors.

Hodges loves conflict. You can picture him arched over a desk (at his £2m Blackheath home) in a dimly-lit room, door locked from the inside, and clutching a box of Kleenex – desperately trying to reach fever pitch from the latest exchange with a random supporter of Jeremy Corbyn. This literary degenerate has as much savvy and gravitas as the cold, stale, lumpy ejaculate he festoons his workstation with. Some of his Twitter spats are so ludicrous it would lead you to believe that he may have tasked his anus with tweeting on his behalf.

When it comes to getting things wrong, Hodges is a recidivist offender. He predicted that UKIP wouldn’t achieve more than six per cent at the 2015 General Election; he predicted that David Miliband would win the Labour Party leadership in 2010; he predicted Corbyn would not win the Labour Party leadership in 2015; he predicted that the UK would vote to remain in the EU referendum; he claimed to have the inside story on Michael Dugher’s sacking and he claimed to have the inside story on a spat between Corbyn and Andy Burnham. He was wrong on absolutely everything. The mystery of where the Mail on Sunday get the brass neck to call this reverse-barometer ‘Britain’s best political columnist’ is up there with what happened to Lord Lucan and Shergar.

Hodges UKIP prediction was part of a tweet in which he stated that he would run naked through Whitehall if they managed to poll over six per cent. They did achieve the required level of votes, and Hodges did run (semi) naked across Whitehall. The sight of his pasty cadaver-like figure in ill-fitting Calvin Klein briefs, running through London in the early hours of the morning, will unfortunately live long in the bowels of my memory. In fact, if I ever suffer with premature ejaculation, I will divert my mind back to that Paul Gadd look-a-like stumbling awkwardly through Whitehall, all for the back-slapping praise of his fellow, posh, media brats.

Hodges has built his entire career in journalism on attacking Ed Miliband and Corbyn’s leadership of the Labour Party. His smears, twisting of words, meaning, and context, is child-like with an irritating smug petulance. Yet of course, any suggestion that the media may have an in-built default bias against ‘the left’ is met with sniggering, accusations of conspiracy theories and retorts about tin-foil hats. This, despite the entire recorded history of demonstrable mainstream media bias towards left wing politicians of all stripes. Maybe Hodges knows better; or maybe he is voluntarily dad-dancing to the tune of the media barons who pay his bills; or the political elites he relies on for backstairs gossip and tawdry fables. All of which is rich source material for the curriculum at the ‘Dan Hodges School of Falsification’.

Hodges is one of those journalists – and I use the term in its loosest possible sense – who is forever tweeting about a text he has just received from an MP, a cabinet insider, or an unnamed staffer. Without these unverifiable tit-bits – which invariably turn out to be wrong or irrelevant – Hodges would have very little to talk about. While a silver-spoon and family connections can get you the gig – they can’t write the words for you.

The craven hypocrisy of Hodges knows no bounds. While he rightly called-out Ken Livingstone for his disgraceful attacks on the mental health of Labour MP, Kevan Jones, Hodges is not averse to using an array of mental health slurs, both in print and on social media. Maybe his beef with Livingstone was more about Hodges losing his six-figure salary job writing press-releases for TfL when Livingstone was London Mayor. Hodges subsequently supported Boris Johnson to be the next Mayor. How very fucking Labour of him.

When raising the issues of anti-Semitism within the Labour Party he disgracefully attacked a Jewish supporter of Corbyn by referring to him as a “useful Jewish idiot”. Consistency isn’t Hodges strong-point, and he is more than happy to take a wage packet from a newspaper that actively supported fascism and anti-Semitism at home and abroad. Even today, The Daily Mail is an active propagator of racist narratives. Hodges couldn’t care less. Then why would he? He defended the MP, Phil Woolas, from the “Liberal mob”.

Hodges – who once claimed that David Cameron was the new leader of the left – claims to be a lifelong Labour man, yet his membership has had about as much stability as Paddy Ashdown’s trousers. He uses his membership status as an opportunist prop for whatever vacuous screed he is penning at the time.

Despite everything I have written I will no doubt continue with this ruinous self-flagellation by reading Dan Hodges. However, it doesn’t mean that you should debauch yourself in a similar way.

You should do something more useful and rewarding with your time. Such as, descaling the kettle; cleaning crumbs from the bottom of a toaster; or scraping faeces from the bristles of your workplace toilet brush.

Whatever you do, don’t read Dan Hodges.

In fact, fuck Dan Hodges.

https://sciscomedia.co.uk/dan-hodges-just-where-do-you-begin/

• Upvote 2

Hodges UKIP prediction was part of a tweet in which he stated that he would run naked through Whitehall if they managed to poll over six per cent. They did achieve the required level of votes, and Hodges did run (semi) naked across Whitehall. The sight of his pasty cadaver-like figure in ill-fitting Calvin Klein briefs, running through London in the early hours of the morning, will unfortunately live long in the bowels of my memory. In fact, if I ever suffer with premature ejaculation, I will divert my mind back to that Paul Gadd look-a-like stumbling awkwardly through Whitehall, all for the back-slapping praise of his fellow, posh, media brats.

Hahaha. Thanks for pasting the article, good read.

The raw numbers before they tweak it have Labour 43, Tory 40 and LD 9. 

The numbers they put out weight for overclaim adjustment based on the 2015 election.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBT8bHCXkAAev33?format=jpg

Living on the Isle of Man  , I don't get much chance to talk politics but its TT week over here so i've been asking a few people who they were going to vote for 

1st midlle aged  couple were from the midlands then moved to Cornwall   " we're voting conservative , no chance are we voting labour "

2nd were 4 lads from birmingham and nuneaton ( one of which was Asian )  cant stand corbyn so voting Tory , 1 said he's not interested

3rd up 4 middle aged men from just outside london - only 1 answered " i should be labour as I'm working class but can't stand corbyn so voting tory "

4th   2 blokes from York - not in the slightest bit interested 

last bloke was from manchester  surely you're gonna be the first person i've spoken to who wil be voting Labour next week " says I - 

i won't be voting labour he says  , can't trust Labour with finances !

Don't do it to yourselves lads , it will be a landslide  . Grim times ahead 

• Upvote 1

Living on the Isle of Man , I don't get much chance to talk politics but its TT week over here so i've been asking a few people who they were going to vote for

1st midlle aged couple were from the midlands then moved to Cornwall " we're voting conservative , no chance are we voting labour "

2nd were 4 lads from birmingham and nuneaton ( one of which was Asian ) cant stand corbyn so voting Tory , 1 said he's not interested

3rd up 4 middle aged men from just outside london - only 1 answered " i should be labour as I'm working class but can't stand corbyn so voting tory "

4th 2 blokes from York - not in the slightest bit interested

last bloke was from manchester surely you're gonna be the first person i've spoken to who wil be voting Labour next week " says I -

i won't be voting labour he says , can't trust Labour with finances !

Don't do it to yourselves lads , it will be a landslide . Grim times ahead

I fucking hate people.

• Upvote 2

Living on the Isle of Man  , I don't get much chance to talk politics but its TT week over here so i've been asking a few people who they were going to vote for 

1st midlle aged  couple were from the midlands then moved to Cornwall   " we're voting conservative , no chance are we voting labour "

2nd were 4 lads from birmingham and nuneaton ( one of which was Asian )  cant stand corbyn so voting Tory , 1 said he's not interested

4th   2 blokes from York - not in the slightest bit interested 

last bloke was from manchester  surely you're gonna be the first person i've spoken to who wil be voting Labour next week " says I - 

i won't be voting labour he says  , can't trust Labour with finances !

Don't do it to yourselves lads , it will be a landslide  . Grim times ahead 

I don't think that should make you so negative. From all of the places they're from there'll be plenty of people who haven't got the cash to go anywhere that'll be voting for Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/01/myths-money-british-voters-economy-britain-welfare

Befitting a surprise election, the manifestos from the main parties contained surprises. Labour is shaking off decades of shyness about nationalisation and tax increases for the rich and for the first time in decades has a policy agenda that is not Tory-lite. The Conservatives, meanwhile, say they are rejecting “the cult of selfish individualism” and “belief in untrammelled free markets”, while adopting the quasi-Marxist idea of an energy price cap.

Despite these significant shifts, myths about the economy refuse to go away and hamper a more productive debate. They concern how the government manages public finances – “tax and spend”, if you will.

The first is that there is an inherent virtue in balancing the books. Conservatives still cling to the idea of eliminating the budget deficit, even if it is with a 10-year delay (2025, as opposed to George Osborne’s original goal of 2015). The budget-balancing myth is so powerful that Labour feels it has to cost its new spending pledges down to the last penny, lest it be accused of fiscal irresponsibility.

However, as Keynes and his followers told us, whether a balanced budget is a good or a bad thing depends on the circumstances. In an overheating economy, deficit spending would be a serious folly. However, in today’s UK economy, whose underlying stagnation has been masked only by the release of excess liquidity on an oceanic scale, some deficit spending may be good – necessary, even.

The second myth is that the UK welfare state is especially large. Conservatives believe that it is bloated out of all proportion and needs to be drastically cut. Even the Labour party partly buys into this idea. Its extra spending pledge on this front is presented as an attempt to reverse the worst of the Tory cuts, rather than as an attempt to expand provision to rebuild the foundation for a decent society.

The reality is the UK welfare state is not large at all. As of 2016, the British welfare state (measured by public social spending) was, at 21.5% of GDP, barely three-quarters of welfare spending in comparably rich countries in Europe – France’s is 31.5% and Denmark’s is 28.7%, for example. The UK welfare state is barely larger than the OECD average (21%), which includes a dozen or so countries such as Mexico, Chile, Turkey and Estonia, which are much poorer and/or have less need for public welfare provision. They have younger populations and stronger extended family networks.

Welfare spending on education, childcare and school meals programmes is an investment in the future

The third myth is that welfare spending is consumption – that it is a drain on the nation’s productive resources and thus has to be minimised. This myth is what Conservative supporters subscribe to when they say that, despite their negative impact, we have to accept cuts in such things as disability benefit, unemployment benefit, child care and free school meals, because we “can’t afford them”. This myth even tints, although doesn’t define, Labour’s view on the welfare state. For example, Labour argues for an expansion of welfare spending, but promises to finance it with current revenue, thereby implicitly admitting that the money that goes into it is consumption that does not add to future output.

‘It is a myth that, despite their negative impact, we have to accept cuts in such things as disability benefit, unemployment benefit, child care and free school meals'

However, a lot of welfare spending is investment that pays back more than it costs, through increased productivity in the future. Expenditure on education (especially early learning programmes such as Sure Start), childcare and school meals programmes is an investment in the nation’s future productivity. Unemployment benefit, especially if combined with good publicly funded retraining and job-search programmes, such as in Scandinavia, preserve the human productive capabilities that would otherwise be lost, as we have seen in so many former industrial towns in the UK. Increased spending on disability benefits and care for older people helps carers to have more time and less stress, making them more productive workers.

The last myth is that tax is a burden, which therefore by definition needs to be minimised. The Conservatives are clear about this, proposing to cut corporation tax further to 17%, one of the lowest levels in the rich world. However, even Labour is using the language of “burden” about taxes. In proposing tax increases for the highest income earners and large corporations, Jeremy Corbyn spoke of his belief that “those with the broadest shoulders should bear the greatest burden”.

But would you call the money that you pay for your takeaway curry or Netflix subscription a burden? You wouldn’t, because you recognise that you are getting your curry and TV shows in return. Likewise, you shouldn’t call your taxes a burden because in return you get an array of public services, from education, health and old-age care, through to flood defence and roads to the police and military.

If tax really were a pure burden, all rich individuals and companies would move to Paraguay or Bulgaria, where the top rate of income tax is 10%. Of course, this does not happen because, in those countries, in return for low tax you get poor public services. Conversely, most rich Swedes don’t go into tax exile because of their 60% top income tax rate, because they get a good welfare state and excellent education in return. Japanese and German companies don’t move out of their countries in droves despite some of the highest corporate income tax rates in the world (31% and 30% respectively) because they get good infrastructure, well-educated workers, strong public support for research and development, and well-functioning administrative and legal systems.

Low tax is not in itself a virtue. The question should be whether the government is providing services of satisfactory quality, given the tax receipts, not what the level of tax is.

The British debate on economic policy is finally moving on from the bankrupt neoliberal consensus of the past few decades. But the departure won’t be complete until we do away with the persistent myths about tax and spend.

• Upvote 1