You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Now sailing into proper uncharted territory here.

Robert Peston

@Peston

I think everyone, including me, under-estimated seductive power of @jeremycorbyn's astonishing good humour, even when Paxman thumping him

Even Dan Hodges has tweeted about Corbyn giving a strong performance.

Guest Pistonbroke

I would like to shoot the cunt stood up and applauded her, Fucking brain dead bellend

He was playing "Spot the cunt"

Guest Pistonbroke

How could anyone vote for that ,

Utter disgrace of a leader ,

Up to this point nobody has, PM by default. Bet she's not arsed, a career on Loose Women chatting shite about shoes awaits. 

Thought Corbyn did well in the earlier piece & did his best in the Paxman bit, although it is difficult with somebody just basically asking you a question & then just shouting over you when you try to answer.

Going against the grain & thought May was a bit better than I expected, although it was a bit ' win us the election on no policies & just basically trust us after that ' & 'Brexit, Brexit, Brexit '. Thought Paxman started well aginst her but seemed to fizzle out & I couldn't understand why he kept asking the last question about Brexit when she was getting applauded for it.

Will be interested to see how polling goes later in the week.

I may be in a minority here, but I've always thought Paxman to be an over rated interviewer. People mistake outright belligerence for probing questions and when he doesn't get the answer he wants, he resorts to bullshit anecdotal evidence.

You've pretty much just got to return the serve against him. He should make May look shite though.

Yeah he's shit, just a horrible gobby cunt.

Both of them got savaged by Paxman. Although May seemed more comfortable at the end due to Paxman constantly beating a dead horse over Brexit. I would've liked him to really go after her on the cuts to the NHS, education and the dementia tax.

Corbyn looked weak on national security and wishy-washy over his ability to deliver a good deal for the UK in Brussels. The resounding theme i got from May's manifesto (and her answers in the first half) was a complete lack of aspiration. Everything was just cuts, taxes and tightening the purse strings. We've been though 7 years of this, why would anyone feel engaged to vote for that? The Tory manifesto is the greatest gift Labour could've been given for this election. It's no coincidence that her lead in the polls has nosedived since it's release.

• Upvote 1

Labour should also make the point that when May talks about a Brexit deal that is "good for Britain" she's speaking as someone who clearly thinks that declining wages, cuts to essential services and tax breaks for the richest individuals and corporations are "good for Britain".

• Upvote 1

Allegedly this is a speech May will give today. It seems they'll go all in on Brexit. I suspect Paxman's blowhard jibe will have pissed on their parade more than they'd have liked.

Still not acknowledging that no deal would be an absolute disaster. Labour need to counter this with a list of the immediate effects of no deal.

RznZhct.jpg