You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

I think most people know he's full of shit and there is a good reason why he's been kept in his box up until now.

His support for Trump won't play well. No I think it's a panicky move by May who got battered the last couple of days.

Johnson will do them more harm than good

That was my thinking. Its still shocking though when they are running that bullshit story massively on Social media, plenty of fools fall for this shit.

Watching this idiot Andrew Mitchell on The Victoria Derbyshire show now had to be dragged out of him that he has 3 homes didn't know what the minimum wage was didn't know that his party built 6,500 council homes while 1.5 million sleep rough every night and all kinds of bollocks as well , are working class people really going to vote for a party that hasn't the faintest grasp of what most people in this country go through every day.

What amazes me more about this election (maybe it's one for the getting older thread and taking more of an important role in my future) but I have no problem with voters voting for who they want such as Rico for example. Regardless that his vote is against my party he has a reason why he is using his political freedom to vote for who he wants. It's those that A) do not vote and B )have no idea what they are voting for or C) using others to persuade their vote by not understanding what you are voting for that is what gets me. This affects you. It's you're right to vote. I'm not sure how the polls would look but it should be a legal requirement for all those 16 and over to have to vote.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I had a message from a friend in the UK this morning, she knows I'm politically motivated and was basically asking me who she should vote for! Fucking hell. Instead of just coming straight out with Labour I explained the Naylor report and May's plans to sell off the NHS land and properties. I also explained that there are more plans afoot to reduce Police numbers etc etc. She's voting labour now and passing the info onto others. Jezza owes me a pint. 

Nothing new regarding Abbot to be honest she's always been woeful, the people I blame are the likes of Copper, Umma , Benn and co who have refused to serve the party and the democratically elected leader by being part of his shadow cabinet.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/london-attack-bridge-theresa-may-police-cuts-conservative-terror-terrorism-general-election-a7773746.html

The Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has accused Theresa May and the Conservatives of presiding over major cuts to the police force since 2010 and agreed with suggestions that the Prime Minister should resign in the wake of the London Bridge terror attack.

This follows an allegation from a former Metropolitan Police chief, Peter Kirkham, that the capital's police are "in crisis" because of Government cuts.

Mr Kirkham also accused ministers of "lying" by claiming that there are extra police officers on the street.

And in January the London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, warned that fresh government funding cuts to the Metropolitan Police would make it "increasingly difficult" to keep Londoners safe from terror - a warning he repeated on Monday.

The Prime Minister and other ministers have responded to all these claims by saying they are providing "record funding for counter terror policing".

So is it true that the Conservatives cut police numbers? And did this really damage our security in the face of terror attacks and plots?

Did they cut numbers?

According to the most recent official Home Office figures, the total police officer workforce for England and Wales in September 2016 was 122,859. (Policing in Scotland is devolved and Northern Ireland has special arrangements).

In September 2010, the year the Coalition took power, the figure was 141,850.

So, that's a fall of 18,991 (around 13 per cent).

According to a House of Commons Library briefing, if one excludes staff on a career break or maternity/paternity leave, the true strength of the UK's 43 police forces in March 2016 was just 118,779, the weakest since March 1985.

What about armed police?

Separate Home Office data shows there were 5,639 Authorised Firearms Officers (AFOs) in March 2016, down from 6,976 in March 2010.

That's a fall of 1,337, or 19 per cent.

As a proportion of all police officers, AFOs have declined from 4.8 per cent in 2010 to around 4.4 per cent.

According to the National Police Chiefs' Council there are now plans to train and recruit an additional 1,500 firearms officers by April 2018. This recruitment drive was launched in the wake of the November 2015 Paris terrorist attacks.

The NPCC does not publish counter-terrorism police officer numbers.

What about spending?

Estimates from the National Audit Office show that (effective) real funding of England and Wales' 43 police forces fell 18 per cent between 2010-11 and 2015-16 to around £12bn.

And according to the official Treasury data, the Home Office's overall budget fell from £12.6bn in 2011-12 to £10.9bn in 2015-16.

This represents a real terms cut of 18 per cent.

This budget is also set to be around £11.1bn in 2019-20, which would translate into roughly a 22 per cent cut on 2011 levels.

However the "Single Intelligence Account", which is the funding vehicle for the intelligence services (MI5, MI6 and GCHQ), has not suffered real terms cuts.

SIA funding increased from £2bn in 2011-12 to £2.3bn in 2015-16, a real terms increase of 11 per cent.

And the 2015 Spending Review committed to protect police spending in real terms up to 2020.

It also said it would spend £3.4bn, or 30 per cent more, in real terms between 2015 and 2020 on "key counter-terrorism capabilities" across government.

This is supposed to include £2bn for UK Special Forces, £1.4bn for the intelligence agencies and £500m for the Home Office (including a real terms increase in the counter terrorism police grant)

Have these cuts made us less safe?

This is a hard question to answer because it involves a counterfactual: what would have happened if the police cuts had not been made? Would more terror attacks have been prevented?

There is concern at claims individuals who perpetrated the Manchester Arena and London Bridge attacks were reported to the authorities before they committed their atrocities but, apparently, no action was taken.

Would this have been different if police numbers had been higher and the Home Office budget had not been slashed?

Or is this a failing of the intelligence services? Should their funding perhaps have been even higher given the scale of the challenge?

Or was this a management failure, rather than a symptom of inadequate resources?

Only an official inquiry taking evidence from a wide range of experts and officials (perhaps undertaken by a Commons committee) will be able to get decent answers to these questions.

But of the fact that police numbers have fallen under the Conservative-led coalition government and then the Tories since 2015 there is no doubt.

Nor is there any doubt that direct police and Home Office funding have both been sharply cut by the Treasury since 2010.

Nothing new regarding Abbot to be honest she's always been woeful, the people I blame are the likes of Copper, Umma , Benn and co who have refused to serve the party and the democratically elected leader by being part of his shadow cabinet.

Just disappointing that Labour have been unable to keep her off the airwaves, she's clearly struggling and journalists have the knives out for her and know they can get stuck in.

Guest Pistonbroke

Hopefully they'll drop more when that bullshitting cunt BJ opens his pompous gob over the next few days. The public are finally smelling the bullshit.

What amazes me more about this election (maybe it's one for the getting older thread and taking more of an important role in my future) but I have no problem with voters voting for who they want such as Rico for example. Regardless that his vote is against my party he has a reason why he is using his political freedom to vote for who he wants. It's those that A) do not vote and B )have no idea what they are voting for or C) using others to persuade their vote by not understanding what you are voting for that is what gets me. This affects you. It's you're right to vote. I'm not sure how the polls would look but it should be a legal requirement for all those 16 and over to have to vote.

You're being way too reasonable.

Also, I think they should spread it over a couple of days or alter the day of the vote. I can't help but think it being kept to a Thursday is partially a bit of gerrymandering as a lot of people are at work or in college/Uni for most the hours available to vote. It surely skews the vote somewhat.

She should never have been given the Home Office. A gift to the Tories 

Plenty of roles where her humanitarian qualities would have been an asset, Home Office requires some lobotomised , humourless number cruncher that doesn't like foreigners, All the qualities that kept Theresa May in the job for 6 years,

• Upvote 1

Listening to them on police numbers, I didn't realise they had nothing to do with what went on between 2010-2015. 

I believe they will win a majority and it just depresses me the self congratulatory gloating from both the Tories and the PLP 

Guest Pistonbroke

It's like the cunts allow a certain amount to happen for political gain, they don't give a fuck about those who they are supposed to serve. 

Best video of the election?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7lWRtfve8

Besides the really shitty wooden performance and that jingle at the end two things stand out to me, 1: he can't get a jacket that fits properly and 2: that is probably due to the fact he has sloping shoulders that have clearly never done a days proper work in his fucking life.

Additionally I think he looks a bit noncey as well.

What amazes me more about this election (maybe it's one for the getting older thread and taking more of an important role in my future) but I have no problem with voters voting for who they want such as Rico for example. Regardless that his vote is against my party he has a reason why he is using his political freedom to vote for who he wants. 

I DO have a problem with him voting Tory, as I do with anyone else voting Tory.  

The reason is rational, and that's because they haven't costed their manifesto, and their leader declined to take part in a debate.

If you consciously vote for the Tories knowing these two things, then you shouldn't be allowed to vote.  If you're just going to blindly follow a colour everytime, then you don't deserve to be a part of the democratic process.  There are chimpanzees in British Zoo's with more chance of making an informed decision than you.

People treat their ballot paper like a colouring-in book.

I'm not voting Labour because they're red, and I always vote Labour.  I don't.  But in this instance their manifesto resonates with my understanding of the problems our modern society faces. They want to make things better, and I applaud that, I want a better country for my kids to inherit.

Nothing, NOTHING, in the Tory manifesto makes this country a better place to live and work.  Name one thing.  

Fox-hunting?  How the fuck has that made it near a manifesto in the 21st Century?

Brexit?  You're insulting the EU and threatening to walk away from the table before talks have even began.

Security?  You've slashed police numbers, and even then you've let terrorists slip through your fingers many times.

Health? Over 300 NHS properties about to be sold off, 2for1, in the Naylor Report, it's a fire sale, they even quote 'fire sale'.

Environment?  Nailing our colours to the fossil fuel market.

Jobs?  Zero hours contracts are disgusting, it's one step removed from modern slavery.

Justice?  How many more times can May sabotage that enquiry into child abuse by the BBC, politicians and the clergy?

Obviously we could go and and on here.

Anyone voting for the Conservative Party, in this election, is a 

• Upvote 2

I DO have a problem with him voting Tory, as I do with anyone else voting Tory.  

The reason is rational, and that's because they haven't costed their manifesto, and their leader declined to take part in a debate.

If you consciously vote for the Tories knowing these two things, then you shouldn't be allowed to vote.  If you're just going to blindly follow a colour everytime, then you don't deserve to be a part of the democratic process.  There are chimpanzees in British Zoo's with more chance of making an informed decision than you.

People treat their ballot paper like a colouring-in book.

I'm not voting Labour because they're red, and I always vote Labour.  I don't.  But in this instance their manifesto resonates with my understanding of the problems our modern society faces. They want to make things better, and I applaud that, I want a better country for my kids to inherit.

Nothing, NOTHING, in the Tory manifesto makes this country a better place to live and work.  Name one thing.  

Fox-hunting?  How the fuck has that made it near a manifesto in the 21st Century?

Brexit?  You're insulting the EU and threatening to walk away from the table before talks have even began.

Security?  You've slashed police numbers, and even then you've let terrorists slip through your fingers many times.

Health? Over 300 NHS properties about to be sold off, 2for1, in the Naylor Report, it's a fire sale, they even quote 'fire sale'.

Environment?  Nailing our colours to the fossil fuel market.

Jobs?  Zero hours contracts are disgusting, it's one step removed from modern slavery.

Justice?  How many more times can May sabotage that enquiry into child abuse by the BBC, politicians and the clergy?

Obviously we could go and and on here.

Anyone voting for the Conservative Party, in this election, is a 

Agree with all that.

Thing is, the Republicans and Tories are one and the same now, they're a force for absolute, unchained capitalism which is accepted by everyone with a brain or a pair of eyes as having wrought utter destruction on the economy and the environment.

They are not what they sell themselves as any more, if they were I'd have no problem with people voting for them if that was what they wanted. Blue bloods, middle class, people who want small state and low tax (because they don't need the state usually, but that's their right)

But that's not what we have here, we have a party for the oligarchs that only thinks short term, and has absolutely no care for you, your kids or the country. NHS for sale, policing for sale, everything for sale. It's a joke, how anyone can vote for them and then moan their lives are turning to shit is beyond me.

• Upvote 3

Agree with all that.

Thing is, the Republicans and Tories are one and the same now, they're a force for absolute, unchained capitalism which is accepted by everyone with a brain or a pair of eyes as having wrought utter destruction on the economy and the environment.

They are not what they sell themselves as any more, if they were I'd have no problem with people voting for them if that was what they wanted. Blue bloods, middle class, people who want small state and low tax (because they don't need the state usually, but that's their right)

But that's not what we have here, we have a party for the oligarchs that only thinks short term, and has absolutely no care for you, your kids or the country. NHS for sale, policing for sale, everything for sale. It's a joke, how anyone can vote for them and then moan their lives are turning to shit is beyond me.

It's why people like Peter Hitchens and Peter Oborne can't stand the party.

Guest Pistonbroke

Agree with all that.

When the inevitable happens they'll all be fighting to get in the bunkers to save their sorry arses, their wealth and status will mean fuck all once reality sets in, they'll just eat one another. Hopefully they'll all get bad shithouse AIDS with nobody to administer care.