You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Many small businesses pay more in tax than the likes of Google !

Tories looking after their own.

I own a small business and as a proportion of turnover I pay more than Google.

Labour are planning to increase corporation tax for small businesses to 20/21% rather than 26%. If it ultimately ends up in a better educated workforce and people not going to food banks that seems fair for what is still a historically low rate of tax

• Upvote 5

Tree hugging looney lefty.

Seriously though, sending even one is a waste of paper. Who reads these things and gets influenced by them? We're a week away from Election Day, with a choice as stark as there is this time surely anyone with the intention of voting has made their mind up anyway?

Edit: I appreciate that in Scotland there might be a little bit more to think about but still, this kind of shit goes straight in the bin along with clothes collection bags and Dominos menus.

The recycling bin, I hope!

Tree hugging looney lefty.

Seriously though, sending even one is a waste of paper. Who reads these things and gets influenced by them? We're a week away from Election Day, with a choice as stark as there is this time surely anyone with the intention of voting has made their mind up anyway?

Edit: I appreciate that in Scotland there might be a little bit more to think about but still, this kind of shit goes straight in the bin along with clothes collection bags and Dominos menus.

I know someone who read one near me and it contained some stuff they claimed to know was untrue. So despite not being the politicians intended outcome they were definitely influenced.

It doesn't say that.  It says they will reintroduce a lower rate for small businesses.  Without fact-checking, I'm assuming that this means that currently small businesses and big corporations are paying the same rate.  

Corporation tax is the lowest of any major developed economy. Our new settlement with business will ask large corporations to pay a little more while still keeping corporation tax among the lowest of the major developed economies. In turn, we will meet the business need for a more skilled workforce with extra corporate tax revenues while contributing to education and skills budgets. We will protect small businesses by reintroducing the lower small profits rate of corporation tax. We will also exclude small businesses from costly plans to introduce quarterly reporting and take action on late payments.

They haven't made enough of this part of the corporation tax policy. Im unsure why such a carrot isn't being promoted.

So still a waste of paper then.

As it happens the Lib Dems knocked on the door this evening asking for our vote (which they will get tactically) but I took her to task on the volume of leafleting, a different one almost every other day. She sympathised but said research suggests it works.

• Upvote 1

'That sun must be getting to your head.'

Just like the rest of the shite right wing comics which make up the fourth estate today. The headlines today are due to a wee bit of panic though which I never thought would happen.

If JC had the rest of Labour MP's behind him we really could have won this.

Rico I think you might be more in line with Bakunin and Anarchism than Marx anyway, given your posts on religion :

"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth. Our reason and our will will be equally annulled. As long as we believe that we must unconditionally obey – and vis – a – vis God, no other obedience is possible – we must of necessity passively submit, without the least reservation, to the holy authority of his consecrated and unconsecrated agents, messiahs, prophets, divinely inspired law-makers, emperors, kings, and all their functionaries and ministers, representatives and consecrated servitors of the two greatest institutions which impose themselves upon us, and which are established by God himself to rule over men; namely, the Church and the State. All temporal or human authority stems directly from spiritual and/or divine authority. But authority is the negation of freedom. God, or rather the fiction of God, is the consecration and the intellectual and moral source of all slavery on earth, and the freedom of mankind will never be complete until the disastrous and insidious fiction of a heavenly master is annihilated."

• Upvote 1

As it happens the Lib Dems knocked on the door this evening asking for our vote (which they will get tactically) but I took her to task on the volume of leafleting, a different one almost every other day. She sympathised but said research suggests it works.

Maybe it does and I'm just a sceptical know-nothing cunt. Actually, where I am is a safe Tory seat and that's the only leaflet we've had so far but we did have them from everyone in the local elections.

Guest Pistonbroke

Fuck all to do with this thread but I saw this t-shirt today and I want it. I want it bad.

https://mr-art.co.uk/clothing/i-dont-have-to-sell-my-soul-splatter/

The top one, in black. Fathers Day soon. That's what I'm asking for.

I'd certainly wear it. 

Fathers day was last Thursday here, I got this fancy meat thermometer and a bottle of wine. I'd rather have had that T-shirt. 

I rent a house for work and the owner has just come and spent a few days here in the spare room.

I was watching the debates and whatnot and he asked me why. He had no idea that there was an election imminent and could not give a fuck. This is the world we are living in.

I rent a house for work and the owner has just come and spent a few days here in the spare room.

I was watching the debates and whatnot and he asked me why. He had no idea that there was an election imminent and could not give a fuck. This is the world we are living in.

I hope he asked permission in advance. Or is it more informal?

• Upvote 1