You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Maybe it's an age thing, I've no idea how old you are but it was a big thing when I was growing up.

Am I supposed to be ashamed of that? I'm not. I've been lucky and the wife is clever. I do have empathy, but less than you. Should the person with more than empathy than you look down on you?

I'm 44 so probably around the same age as you, and it was a big thing. But guess what, I can go shopping now and not worry about some Irish fella dropping a bomb in the bin. So whatever has happened to get us to that point is good with me, and if Corbyn has had any positive involvement in that then he's good by me.

I've no problem with you or your missus pulling in that kind of money, but you need to realise that for a hell of a lot of people things like cash flow, paying for little things for the kids, are much more important than whether someone once held a minutes silence thirty years ago. And maybe the fact that you are in some way protected financially from the shit fest in this country, makes your priorities a bit wrong.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-mp-sneers-low-achievers-7734629 Tory MP sneers at "low achievers" who aren't millionaires

Millionaire Alan Duncan says criticism of David Cameron's wealth could lead to a House of Commons stuffed with "low achievers"

A millionaire Tory MP sneered at people 'who aren't millionaires' today - dismissing them as "low achievers."

Rutland MP Alan Duncan was defending David Cameron , who faced MPs for the first time since admitting he had shares in his dad's offshore trust.

He said: “Shouldn’t the Prime Minister’s critics just snap out of their synthetic indignation and admit their real point is they just hate anyone who’s got a hint of wealth in their life?"

He went on to suggest that if Labour had their way the wealthy would be less well represented in the House of Commons.

Read more: David Cameron tax statement recap: MPs grill Prime Minister over shares in dad's tax haven trust

“We risk having a House of Commons stuffed full of low achievers who hate enterprise, hate people who look after their own families and know absolutely nothing about the outside world.”

As well as his MPs' salary of £74,962, Mr Duncan is paid £8,000 a month as a non-executive Chairman of an Dubai oil company, for which he works just 12 hours a month.

Mr Duncan's comments were described as "obnoxious" by Labour's Liz Kendall.

She said on Twitter: “Obnoxious comment from Alan Duncan MP suggesting you can only be a high achiever if you make a packet of money.”

And Labour MP Caroline Flint said: "It saddens me that he seems to suggest if you weren’t a millionaire you were a low achiever."

She went on to make clear that she was "speaking as a low achiever".

In 2009, after the MPs' expenses scandal, Mr Duncan moaned that members were being "treated like s**t" and forced to live on "rations".

Mr Duncan repaid £5,000 after the Commons fees office questioned whether his expenses claims "could be considered excessive."

He said nobody "who has done anything in the outside world, or is capable of doing such a thing" would ever think of being an MP.

His rant today came as David Cameron came out fighting against "deeply hurtful" tax dodge claims over the £30,000 shares he had in his dad's Blairmore Holdings.

In a humiliating Commons statement the PM announced a three-pronged plan to open up tax havens.

But he denied his own dad's offshore Bahamas firm was set up to avoid tax, telling MPs : "There have been some deeply hurtful and profoundly untrue allegations made against my father.

"This investment fund was set off overseas in the first place because it was going to be trading predominantly in dollar securities."

He claimed full responsibility for taking nearly a week to admit his true financial affairs.

But he said: "I was angry about the way my father’s memory was being traduced. I know he was a hard working man and a wonderful dad and he did everything he could to provide for his family."

The statement from Tory Sir Alan was not the only moment of drama from a backbench MP.

Labour firebrand Dennis Skinner, 84, was thrown out of the House of Commons chamber for the rest of the day for branding the PM "dodgy Dave".

Guest Pistonbroke

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/04/23/theresa-mays-secret-plans-to-replace-nhs-england-with-private-us-healthcare-system-kaiser-permanente/

Theresa May’s secretive plans to replace NHS in England with private US healthcare system Kaiser Permanente

Kaiser Permanente is a private healthcare organisation based in California.

But unlike many other private healthcare companies in the US, Kaiser provides a complete model of integrated pre-paid insurance along with healthcare which is supposedly provided free at the point of need.

This is a system much like our own NHS but with three major differences – Kaiser’s healthcare provision is much more expensive than the NHS, the healthcare provision side is run for profit and unlike the NHS its cover isn’t comprehensive – it only covers those people who are in work.

Despite that, Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt seems to love Kaiser. He and other ministers have personally visited the company at its California headquarters – several times in fact:

And Kaiser’s own website lists other recent visitors from the UK, including many NHS hospitals and NHS trusts as well as HM Treasury and the Ministry of Health itself (click to enlarge):

kaiser-nhs1.png?w=529&h=340

We have already seen that US firms are looking to capitalise as the NHS becomes increasingly privatised, including Kaiser Permanente Foundation‘s senior vice president Hal Wolf who has openly called for the NHS to become “more like Kaiser Permanente“.

Alarmingly, Theresa May has specifically refused to guarantee she will not open up the NHS to US firms in a post-Brexit trade deal across the Atlantic.

Understanding the plans to replace the NHS with the Kaiser Permanente system explains why there has been a recent speeding up of the ongoing marketisation and privatisation of the NHS.

It also explains why the Tories were so desperate to push through their disastrous NHS reforms in the first place. A central plank of the NHS reforms was the formation of Clinical Commissioning Groups – which were openly based on Kaiser’s Permanente Medical Groups and which also happen to be a central plank of Kaiser’s healthcare system.

And understanding the plans to replace the NHS across England with the Kaiser Permanente system goes a long way to explaining why Theresa May has done nothing to resolve the worsening NHS crisis, which she is gambling will only make the public more keen to see changes to a system that is being deliberately broken.

So if the Tories win in June – say goodbye to the NHS in England and hello to Kaiser Permanente …

kaiser-nhs-2.png?w=1000&h=

kaiser-nhs-1.png?w=1000&h=

Fucking hell there really is something wrong with these Tory bastards, and the hideous May, or Corbyn really does have them rattled -or both.

May has said today something along the lines of Corbyn would go into Brexit negotiations "alone and naked" and followed it up with saying it's an "image that doesn't bear thinking about". I mean, WTF? WTF is wrong with that woman? Can you imagine Corbyn saying that about her? Is she going to be pulled up on this entirely personal comment? It's a fucking disgrace the lengths these cunts will go to, absolute gutter politics. If people go for that then it really does shows what type of cuntry we live in and the type of people who reside here.

I overheard a colleague at lunch today say that he is going to vote for the Tories because he thinks we need stability during Brexit negotiations. The person he was talking to agreed.

Everytime I get my hopes up that they might finally be shown the door, I realize there are plenty of people who believe the shite they peddle.

Why aren't Labour talking about plans to fund renewables? They could absolutely destroy the Tories on that and get most of the public behind them. Lucas has been out today talking about how again this isn't being mentioned at all. I'd have thought Corbyn would have at least made this an issue. Maybe that's in the works and he will do shortly though?

Fracking too, he could again destroy the Tories on that. If these subjects aren't brought up I think that's a big miss. Huge weak points that could be exploited.

There's not much time left and they should be going for it with everything they can at this stage.

From The Independent :

The Greens have condemned the “scandalous” lack of focus on tackling Britain’s environmental crisis in the election campaign, attacking both main parties.

Party co-leader Caroline Lucas criticised both the Conservatives and Labour for “almost environment-free” manifestos – even as climate change is “accelerating”.

She took her protest to both Downing Street and Labour's London headquarters, posing with a giant green question mark asking: “Where is the environment?”

Speaking to supporters outside Parliament, Ms Lucas said: “Without a prosperous and thriving environment, there cannot be a prosperous and thriving economy. There is no point talking about strong and stable leadership if you don’t have a strong and stable environment."

“Where is the environment in this election campaign? It is nothing short of scandalous that the other parties are not talking about it.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-latest-caroline-lucas-environmental-issues-conservatives-labour-manifestos-green-party-a7763011.html

Tories going all out on Brexit and Corbyn now, the politics of fear to the fore once again. Fear of change, a dilution of hope. Vote for us because the others are shit. I read a report that focus groups think the tories have a Brexit plan? That must be the plan they keep mentioning but cannot actually tell us.

The more I see and hear of Theresa May, the more I am convinced that she should not be the one negotiating Brexit with the EU. Which is ironic because it appears to be her only argument for getting people to vote for her

Frightening isn't it? The woman barely seems able to string a sentence together unless it's off a script.

https://youtu.be/B45d6nb7oDY

I overheard a colleague at lunch today say that he is going to vote for the Tories because he thinks we need stability during Brexit negotiations. The person he was talking to agreed.

Everytime I get my hopes up that they might finally be shown the door, I realize there are plenty of people who believe the shite they peddle.

Tried and tested formula .  Strong and Stable, Drain the swamp , Lock her up, £350 mill per week for the NHS,

Turkeys voting for Christmas in their millions,  What a fucking depressing business . 

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who is it that's standing alone @theresa_may ? pic.twitter.com/Ic3s8fLDqv

— Jeremy Corbyn for PM (@JeremyCorbyn4PM) May 30, 2017

So we're not not coming out the EU then is that what we can take from this statement ?

Quote didnt quite come out as planned but its in reply to 

Carvalho Diablo post further up the page.

These are some comments from Hartlepool, Mandelsons old seat.

A few ex labour voters who will be voting Ukip not Tory. I mentioned that I had a hunch that there are a decent amount of ex Labour supporters who are happy to vote Ukip but not Tory. 28% of Hartlepool voted Ukip in 2015 35% Labour, 20% Tory. I reckon the so called Ukip to Tory vote will vary hugely across the country.

Back in the Cosmopolitan, Fleming and scoffs at the idea of a Tory MP representing his home town. “There’ll be a few movements in a few graves if people voted Tory,” he says as the rain pours outside. “I think it’s going to be a case that Labour will get back in. The Conservatives will split the [ukip] vote and they haven’t got a chance in hell of getting in.”

A former Labour voter and ex-serviceman, Fleming says he ditched the party over the Iraq war before his election as an independent and then a Ukip councillor. He liked Mandelson at first – “he seemed to get things done up to a point” – but says that he is now “tarred with the same brush as Tony Blair”.

“They’re both spin doctors,” he says. “I think up here we call them lying bastards.”

Sipping a beer, Syd Lewis, 69, offers a more complimentary verdict on the former MP: “I thought Mandelson was all right, canny lad.”

The retired caretaker says he had voted Labour all his life until 2015, when he voted Ukip “for a change”. He dislikes Jeremy Corbyn. “I was all for him at first but he soon came across as very dull and not a very leader-like person,” he says. He fears Labour would reverse the Brexit he voted for, so will vote Ukip again on 8 June.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/22/peter-mandelson-legacy-hartlepool-general-election-crossroads

Why aren't Labour talking about plans to fund renewables? They could absolutely destroy the Tories on that and get most of the public behind them.

I would guess because people are angry enough already that their energy bills are so high due to the various green energy surcharges, which adds up to 9% of the total cost of energy bills. Bitter experience has shown that there are no votes in it.

Guest Pistonbroke

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/theresa-may-liar-liar-song-tenth-place-captain-ska-big-top-40-download-chart-a7761091.html

Song calling Theresa May a ‘liar’ reaches tenth place in download charts but radio stations refuse to play it

Track is performed and produced by Captain Ska 

A song accusing Theresa May of being a “liar” has reached tenth place in the download charts but radio stations have refused to play it. 

The Big Top 40 show on Capital FM and Heart opted not to play the song, which is performed and produced by Captain Ska. 

During the chart show, hosted by Marvin Humes and Kat Shoob, it was announced the song was in the tenth spot before the song in ninth position started to play. 

The track features a range of Ms May’s speeches and interviews and attacks the Prime Minister’s record in office. 

The lyrics of the song include “she’s a Liar, Liar…you can’t trust her, no no no no” and "when there's nurses going hungry and schools in decline I don't recognise this broken country of mine”. 

Jake, a band member and songwriter from Captain Ska, said the song was written to “expose the horrific effects Tory policy has on ordinary people”. 

“This can only be seen as an attempt by the media owners to undermine public opinion. Thousands of people have downloaded this track and we demand that it is aired as any other song would be," he said. 

The song is being promoted by the People’s Assembly Against Austerity, who are asking people to complain about the track not being played on radio. 

All proceeds from the song between 26 May and 8 June will be split between food banks around the UK and The People's Assembly Against Austerity.  

The Independent has contacted Big Top 40 for a comment but at the time of publication none was provided.

Refused my arse, more like they have been ordered not to play it. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Does raise some interesting questions about free speech

'Diminishing' is the word I'd use to describe 'freedom of speech.'