You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Android

Captain

That's a good deal!

Yeah, BT are/were chucking out all sorts of rewards. I've got BT infinity so they give you £5 off the monthly cost for starters. Then, dependant on the SIM you are going for, they sent me a £75 voucher for Amazon. They mistakenly also sent a £75 iTunes voucher.

• 1 month later...

Android 8.0 arrived to my Nexus 6P today. Installation was smooth and it runs without problems, at least so far!

The most apparent change is a new colour scheme in the menus, and the new notification for apps running in the background. Notifications as a whole are improved quite a lot, with more text available in the notification (more of an sms, for instance), and you can snooze them as well. Both are big improvements.

It's a bit shit that the new picture-in-picture mode doesn't work for Youtube, unless you pay for it. Works in Chrome though.

Looking forward to take a better look over the next days.

Does anybody know if there is a way to get an android app from my pc onto my new android phone?

I have the folder of the app saved on my pc (but i can't see a .apk file in this folder). I tried to cut and paste the app into my phones root directory but it didnt automatically install the app. 

It was an app called picsay pro which i paid for on my old phone and wanted to see if i could add it to the new phone without paying for it again.

Any clues how i could do it or is the only way to pay again?

Buy a Xiamoi Mi A1 from Gearbest..

Android One phone.. Will receive latest updates.. Android Stock.. Supports all basebands

Decent spec. And imho Xiaomi phones are currently the best value for money android phones anywhere.

I wouldn't consider anything else right now.. There Miui interface phone are well supported too.. With global versions available too.

Currently the best selling Mobile phone manufacturer in China. Well outselling Apple and Samsung to boot..

My daughter has a Redmii Note 4, cracking phone.. Great spec, cheap as chips..

Buy a Xiamoi Mi A1 from Gearbest..

Android One phone.. Will receive latest updates.. Android Stock.. Supports all basebands

Decent spec. And imho Xiaomi phones are currently the best value for money android phones anywhere.

I wouldn't consider anything else right now.. There Miui interface phone are well supported too.. With global versions available too.

Currently the best selling Mobile phone manufacturer in China. Well outselling Apple and Samsung to boot..

My daughter has a Redmii Note 4, cracking phone.. Great spec, cheap as chips..

I would strongly advice buying any tech from gearbest as once it breaks you get anally fisted

• 2 weeks later...

After having watched the frauds at Apple convince the Apple fans that £999 was a decent price to pay for a phone that in many ways isn't that good at all compared to some Android phones, I took the decision today to fuck off my iPhone and get a Galaxy S8+.

I've sat with the 6s for two years and although I won't enjoy the android OS as much as IOS, I actually think IOS has got worse the last few years. A lot of the apps out there are now as easily available on Android. 

I will miss Apple Pay and iMessage, but they're not worth sticking with Apple for. I mentioned this to my daughter and she looked at me as if I said I was going to cut both of my feet off and use potatoes as replacement feet. 

I moved years ago and tried the HTC thingy whatsit, hated it. But I cannot see me returning this time, when you see Apple trying to wow people with old tech you just see snake oil salesmen. "oooh this Touch ID is the most secure thing ever, oh hang on no that's, shit face id is much better, when it works." 

At least this new phone will have a headphone socket. 

Most people I know use whatsapp anyway so negates the lack of iMessage. Been using Android pay for about 12 months now, seem to be using it more these days

Most people I know do not use WhatsApp, so unfortunately it's basic messages for them. It wasn't a deal breaker for me. I now use Samsung pay and have the gear 3 so with a little more fiddling than Apple Pay, I can use my watch to make payments or my phone. 

I often refer to Android as being 'stick shift' and IOS as being an automatic gearbox as an analogy of their ease of use. For me IOS has lost a little ground to Android recently. It's still light years ahead in doing what it should, like working without much hassle. 

Android is like adding a hundred different options to your washing machine when five do the job. I suppose when you know the buttons to press you can ignore the other 95. 

Anyway, I now have the tech I want if not the operating system I want. All for half the price and in no time at all I'll be slagging off Apple fan boys and laughing at their sheep like mentality.

Disappointing from Google on their launch today. I was hoping for a new tablet to replace/supplement the Pixel C, but no luck.

I'll stay on my Nexus 6P for now, but a new Ipad will be ordered. The one I bought Ms Captain for her recent birthday is really impressive, even if it's fucking expensive.

I use both and prefer Android, but I can't say I find ios more complicated even if it lacks basic stuff.

If texts and phone calls are your thing, you may as well save yourself the hassle of a smartphone in the first place.

As for price, Google's Pixel line sell for roughly the same as iPhones. But you don't get the same support when it comes to updates.

When it comes to tablets, I think it's fair to say that Google has given up on that one. Tablets in our household have significantly longer lifespans than phones, so getting updates are paramount.

The relatively new trend of Google only making their products available in a few countries seem to continue, so it looks like it's bye bye Google hardware for me once my Nexus 6P gets replaced.

I think Apple stuff is turd to use an unnecessarily complicated. Definitely not worth an extra zillion pounds just to have a gadget to do something anybody else can do for half the price. Sends texts,check,makes calls,check. Iphone,pass me the cheque book.

That's very interesting, as you're the only person I've ever heard of that things that. I'm not saying it's not true, your experience is your experience. 

Android fan boys often criticise IOS for being too simple, which also leads to the criticism of it being locked down and dumbed down so it's easy for idiots. Never ever have I heard it being referred to as complicated. In fact up until quite recently 'it just works' was used to describe it. 

I've moved technically challenged people to OS X and IOS and the requests to assist them dried up, it just worked for them. Even people in their 80s who sit there quite happily on their iPad find it easy. 

I'd like to say that I find Android complicated, compared to IOS. I've been over 30 years computer experience, so it's not a problem for me. I think I've meddled with every single phone operating system over the years too. I do find myself making allowances for things it won't do and I suppose a lot of that is down to the money I've saved ditching Apple. 

I'm still setting things up and things work one minute and then fail the next, like Samsung Pay on my Gear watch. Worked once then wouldn't again. I'll reinstall it again and see if that fixes it. 

I could make a list of the little annoyances but it's an operating system designed to accommodate a few thousand different phones so I expect some issues. If they become a daily occurrence, I'll ditch it. 

That's very interesting, as you're the only person I've ever heard of that things that. I'm not saying it's not true, your experience is your experience. 

Android fan boys often criticise IOS for being too simple, which also leads to the criticism of it being locked down and dumbed down so it's easy for idiots. Never ever have I heard it being referred to as complicated. In fact up until quite recently 'it just works' was used to describe it. 

I've moved technically challenged people to OS X and IOS and the requests to assist them dried up, it just worked for them. Even people in their 80s who sit there quite happily on their iPad find it easy. 

I'd like to say that I find Android complicated, compared to IOS. I've been over 30 years computer experience, so it's not a problem for me. I think I've meddled with every single phone operating system over the years too. I do find myself making allowances for things it won't do and I suppose a lot of that is down to the money I've saved ditching Apple. 

I'm still setting things up and things work one minute and then fail the next, like Samsung Pay on my Gear watch. Worked once then wouldn't again. I'll reinstall it again and see if that fixes it. 

I could make a list of the little annoyances but it's an operating system designed to accommodate a few thousand different phones so I expect some issues. If they become a daily occurrence, I'll ditch it. 

Samsung Pay isn't an android product. Android pay has worked flawlessly for me. To well. Now I spend more money on shite than ever.

Samsung Pay isn't an android product. Android pay has worked flawlessly for me. To well. Now I spend more money on shite than ever.

If it is on the android platform, then to me its android. Technically 99.99999% of the stuff on Android isn't Android if you want to nit pick. Unless you are just counting the stuff that works flawlessly?

If it is on the android platform, then to me its android. Technically 99.99999% of the stuff on Android isn't Android if you want to nit pick. Unless you are just counting the stuff that works flawlessly?

Fair enough, I just think it's relevant as android has a competing technology, and in my experience it is excellent. Maybe it won't work with your watch though, I'm not sure.

• 5 weeks later...

Today I retired my LG Android tablet. It never received a version upgrade and was stuck on v. 4.4.2. I was hoping for a new Google tablet this autumn as I can’t stand Samsung’s shite, but no such luck. Google really is up shit creek with their hw, be it phones or tablets. If you’re lucky enough to live in a country they can be bothered selling it in, that is.

This is my first post on my new iPad. I fucking love it so far, its screen is magnificent even if the os grinds my gears a little. Luckily Google’s apps are just as good on iOS even if though I’ve come across another app I use a lot that’s fucking shit on iOS.

I guess you can’t have it all.