You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Classic Football on BT Sport: Liverpool 4 Birmingham 3 1972

redheart

On BT sport this morning I stumbled across the classic highlights that they show of old Match of the Day games.

This one was Liverpool v Birmingham from the 2nd December 1972.

Brum went 2-0 up and 3-1 up and we came back and slayed them 4-3.

A brilliant watch. An entertaining game where we attacked like a Klopp team and defended like a Rodgers team. The game was fast, attacking and very aggressive but no malice. By todays standards there would have been a fair few red cards. In one incident players squared up and three punches and the outcome was that one was booked and the other was not.  Real men playing a real game.

If you get the chance give it a watch

• Upvote 1

I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head.

I think it is the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.

I hope I can make it across the border.

I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope we get beat.

Believe it or not, flying winger Gordon Taylor (yes, THAT Gordon Taylor) terrorised our defence that day producing the only good performance in his entire career.

I think it was in that game, the birmingham keeper got a face full of mud and couldnt see to kick the ball upfield. Up steps John Toshack and wipes the mud from the keeper's face with his shirt so he could.

• Upvote 1

On BT sport this morning I stumbled across the classic highlights that they show of old Match of the Day games.

This one was Liverpool v Birmingham from the 2nd December 1972.

Brum went 2-0 up and 3-1 up and we came back and slayed them 4-3.

A brilliant watch. An entertaining game where we attacked like a Klopp team and defended like a Rodgers team. The game was fast, attacking and very aggressive but no malice. By todays standards there would have been a fair few red cards. In one incident players squared up and three punches and the outcome was that one was booked and the other was not. Real men playing a real game.

If you get the chance give it a watch

Watched it on MOTD the night of the game.

Or was it Sunday on ITV a day later?

I remember it well.

That was a good comeback considering they beat us about 4-1 at Anfield either the season before or after.

Nah.

A few seasons later, probably late 70s, they beat us 3-2 at Anfield but they did go 3-0 up in that game before we launched a late fight back.

Maybe this is the one you're thinking of?

Funnily enough, having already mentioned Gordon Taylor producing the only good performance of his career in the 4-3 game, in this one Trevor Francis did exactly the same. He was brilliant in this game but imo was massively overrated the rest of the time. Couldn't stand him and still can't when he's co-commentating on the telly.

I think it was in that game, the birmingham keeper got a face full of mud and couldnt see to kick the ball upfield. Up steps John Toshack and wipes the mud from the keeper's face with his shirt so he could.

Don't suppose you can remember who the Birmingham keeper was on that day can you?

I was arguing with someone about this very incident recently and I had it in my head it was the West Brom keeper John Osborne, therefore we must have been playing them. The feller I was arguing with said it was against Birmingham.

Looks like I was wrong and he was right then.

A photo of it appeared in one or more of the Sunday papers the next day. I was desperately trying to find this photo online somewhere so I could win the argument.

Don't think I'll mention it again if I was wrong.

Don't suppose you can remember who the Birmingham keeper was on that day can you?

I was arguing with someone about this very incident recently and I had it in my head it was the West Brom keeper John Osborne, therefore we must have been playing them. The feller I was arguing with said it was against Birmingham.

Looks like I was wrong and he was right then.

A photo of it appeared in one or more of the Sunday papers the next day. I was desperately trying to find this photo online somewhere so I could win the argument.

It was either Dave Latchford(brother of Bob and later a Celtic keeper,I think) or Mike Kelly. Paul Cooper was the other keeper but it wasnt him as I remember him well from his Ipswich days a few years later.

It was either Dave Latchford(brother of Bob and later a Celtic keeper,I think) or Mike Kelly. Paul Cooper was the other keeper but it wasnt him as I remember him well from his Ipswich days a few years later.

Dave Latchford played for Motherwell,not Celtic,according to my research.My mind is playing tricks on me.

A bit harsh to compare the careers of Gordon Taylor and Trevor Francis. Taylor made some 500 matches for substandard teams, while Francis - though perhaps underachieving - was the most expensive player in the world at one point, scored the winner in a European cup final, played in a world cup, won Coppa Italia with Sampdoria and picked up more than 50 caps.

Taylor vs Francis careerwise is like comparing a Vauxhall Viva to a Lancia Beta.

Looks like I was wrong and he was right then.

A photo of it appeared in one or more of the Sunday papers the next day. I was desperately trying to find this photo online somewhere so I could win the argument.

Although I was in the ground that day on the Kop, for the life of me I couldnt. Thing is, the only overriding thing I did remember was Tosh doing that act of sportsmanship to an oppos player.

Kind of ironic that Bob Latchford scored 5 times against us 4 for Birmingham and once for Swansea, but never in 12 attempts for the Bitters...

I guess that's why he's not as much as a legend as Big Dunc even though the Lump scored 106 times for them