You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'Firearms incident' at Westminster

Teflon Don

I've worked for Telecoms (in their IT, not call handling) - I know they don't archive communications. Not only is it illegal but it would be massively expensive.

No you fucking don't - Jesus H. Christ. You don't know shit. Were you on the board? No, in that case you know fuck all.

Haha, what?

Ok, this may hurt.

You worked for in telcoms, in IT. In your entire time working there did something happen that surprised you? From redundancy, to getting new chairs, to the office being decorated, to the car park being resurfaced, from them offering everyone a new polo shirt? I suspect it did. If they don't consult you on that banal shit how the fuck do you expect to know about important stuff like storing data.

Rico knows EVERYTHING!

Did you not know that?

Oh man, you didn't mention brown people (I think that's your thing)

I know nothing, fucking nothing, 100% less than nothing. If that's a thing.

Now - I reckon there's comfortably 15million people in China alone who know more about IT than Moof so forgive me if his fucking wank appeal to authority doesn't impress me.

Oh man, you didn't mention brown people (I think that's your thing)

I know nothing, fucking nothing, 100% less than nothing. If that's a thing.

Now - I reckon there's comfortably 15million people in China alone who know more about IT than Moof so forgive me if his fucking wank appeal to authority doesn't impress me.

Blah, blah, angry, patronising cunty, blah.

And repeat....

In my 'anger' last night I said some daft things for which I'd like to apologise. There's more likely 50m people with more IT knowledge than Moof.

(I had to buy uniforms for the gas once, the textile industry in China employs over 90m people, imagine that).

Rico,are you saying that because the energy firms dont keep your details for anything other than billing nobody else does? Not sure of the reason you've gone postal in this thread.

Do I honestly seem to have gone postal? Doesn't feel that way on this side but I was pissed last night.

I'm questioning the sense of people who are adamant that the government should not have access to their data as it would be an affront to freedom, but can't see that giving it freely to a private company is a bit risky. Probably because I'm a cynical old cunt.

I'm not saying the government should have access by the way, just that if you put your trust in a business then it may not end well. I bet you not one person on here has ever read the T&Cs for Twitter, FB, Snapchat etc etc.

None of the bit after the hyphen is true. 

The Data Protection Act only allows you to keep billing data and log data on communications.

If you kept all messages sent by millions of people on a daily basis then you'd need to store it somewhere. Thats billions of messages daily. Data storage isn't free.

Of course that doesn't stop governments intercepting and archiving messages inflight, which is what they do. They don't need private companies to do it for them.

Do I honestly seem to have gone postal? Doesn't feel that way on this side but I was pissed last night.

I'm questioning the sense of people who are adamant that the government should not have access to their data as it would be an affront to freedom, but can't see that giving it freely to a private company is a bit risky. Probably because I'm a cynical old cunt.

I'm not saying the government should have access by the way, just that if you put your trust in a business then it may not end well. I bet you not one person on here has ever read the T&Cs for Twitter, FB, Snapchat etc etc.

Does anyone trust a business unless they're a bit weird? It's largely about 'hope' that they won't use your details for shenanigans. 

Most people aren't overly concerned about their privacy I find, if they did they'd have pay as you go flip phones, instead of what is essentially Jason Bourne in telecoms form telling Facebook what you've bought, where you bought it, where you ate on Saturday and who you associate with. 

Does anyone trust a business unless they're a bit weird? It's largely about 'hope' that they won't use your details for shenanigans.

Most people aren't overly concerned about their privacy I find, if they did they'd have pay as you go flip phones, instead of what is essentially Jason Bourne in telecoms form telling Facebook what you've bought, where you bought it, where you ate on Saturday and who you associate with.

It's the old argument about people carrying around a device that enables its location to be transmitted, governments must love it.

If a bad actor wanted to collect the worlds secrets all he'd have to do is create a free messaging app.