You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ronnie Moran

Just rewatched the goal Kenny scored to win the league against Chelsea in '86 and the camera cuts to the dugout and they are all celebrating except Ronnie who is already shouting instructions to the defence

Some on here used to complain about Rafa doing that

That would've been about the 11th title Ronnie was involved with.

Perhaps a business as usual attitude by that stage was a little understandable.

A mate of mine was a cracking little player in the mid 60s and had a few trials with us.

Bugsy told him that he wasn't going to make it with us but to keep his head up and told him of all the great players that were rejected at a young age. He finished by telling him that he has a great heart and if he brings that attitude to his life,he will be a great success.

My mate is a massive Evertonian. He admitted to being tearful hearing of his death.

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
On 23/03/2017 at 14:58, lifetime fan said:

WA572254.jpg

"Me as a 30 year old, having won European cups, Captain of Liverpool, Captain of Scotland, played in 3 world cups.

I could not offer an opinion as a 30 year old.

Ronnie Moran would have stood over me and would be threatening to chin me, saying to me 'you know nothing about football, what entitles you to have an opinion about football'."

Brilliant.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 23/03/2017 at 14:58, lifetime fan said:

http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article10260107.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/WA572254.jpg

"Me as a 30 year old, having won European cups, Captain of Liverpool, Captain of Scotland, played in 3 world cups.

I could not offer an opinion as a 30 year old.

Ronnie Moran would have stood over me and would be threatening to chin me, saying to me 'you know nothing about football, what entitles you to have an opinion about football'."

Do you remember where this quote is from, Colin?

It is absolutely sensational, be nice to have the source, so I can show it to people.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Do you remember where this quote is from, Colin?

It is absolutely sensational, be nice to have the source, so I can show it to people.

From memory it was one of the documentaries with old players, can’t remember if it was by the club or sky? Possibly ITV. 

Think there was Souness, Kenny and a couple of others. 

He finished off his bit at the end of the documentary by saying something like ‘the only trouble was it all went too quick, what I’d do to go back’ with this massive grin on his face and moist eyes. 

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Didn't know that the infamous Inter game was his last appearance for us.

Did he play in the home leg ? I was only a kid at the time and we were in Old Swan waiting for a bus to Huyton when that game was being played. I have never forgotten hearing the roar from Anfield when we scored.

Just checked , he played left back and there was a familiar name in the Milan ranks , a certain Luis Suarez who was Spanish and the first 100K transfer in the world.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Did he play in the home leg ? I was only a kid at the time and we were in Old Swan waiting for a bus to Huyton when that game was being played. I have never forgotten hearing the roar from Anfield when we scored.

Just checked , he played left back and there was a familiar name in the Milan ranks , a certain Luis Suarez who was Spanish and the first 100K transfer in the world.

Lived off Breck Road at that time so would have heard the noise ( probably in bed, I was 5 ) , but the first game I have any real memory of was watching the Dortmund CWC final in my nans in '66.

17 hours ago, sir roger said:

Lived off Breck Road at that time so would have heard the noise ( probably in bed, I was 5 ) , but the first game I have any real memory of was watching the Dortmund CWC final in my nans in '66.

Broke my heart the Dortmund game !!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Broke my heart the Dortmund game !!

I assume I was disappointed but can only remember flashes of my nans old house and the game being on. The one I can remember crying my leg off was the Charlie George thing in 1971.

( Be back to rep you and VI when bulleted up )

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I assume I was disappointed but can only remember flashes of my nans old house and the game being on. The one I can remember crying my leg off was the Charlie George thing in 1971.

( Be back to rep you and VI when bulleted up )

Ruined my 8th birthday party that did. Always hated Charlie George.

• Upvote 1