You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City 1 Liverpool 1 (Mar 19 2017)

tlw content

mancityreport2.jpg

We could have won, we could have lost, the draw was about right and there was more to be pleased than displeased with. It almost feels as though these games against the top sides are largely irrelevant to us though; it’s what we do in the other games that will determine who we are. Being unbeaten against the rest of the top six is certainly an encouraging base to build upon though. 

We’ve got nine games left and on paper it’s a much easier run in than any of our rivals have (especially United). That means nothing to us though, does it? Not with this weird team. Let’s see how we do at West Brom and Stoke in the next few weeks. Those are the real tests for these players as games like this are a walk in the park to them. 

City had to play really well to get a point, prompting Guardiola to describe it as his proudest day in management or something. Steady on, getting a draw against us is hardly justification to be running around like a dog with two dicks. Some teams would be quite disappointed with that. They aren't hard to find, just look in the bottom six. The likes of City, Spurs and Arsenal know how tough it is to play against Klopp’ team though. Chelsea too, to a lesser degree. 

It’s not a big deal for United because they don’t play with the mentality of a top team, they’re basically Middlesbrough with better players. For teams that want to play attractive, attacking football, however, we’re an absolute nightmare, which is probably why Guardiola was so pleased with the point. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

• Upvote 1

RE: the Sterling 'penalty' incident, here's what I put in the match thread and I think it's a more accurate summation.

Sterling's miss was a given even though Milner did catch his leg just as he was about to spoon it wide anyway.
  • Upvote 1

Totally agree Dave about origi. He's been driving me mad. He's got all the assets but doesn't use them. I watched him closely against burnley and his movement was piss poor. It was so reminiscent of when he first came here. He jumped up for at least 6 headers and never got near any of them. When he come on yesterday that was it for me. Absolute zero fuckin desire. This is why Firminio is in the team ahead of him and that waster Sturridge. He's injured and Hardly trained and still played and put a shift in. I'd be surprised if Origi was still here in the summer.

Origi is the Belgian version of David N'gog. He was OK in small doses as well.

He really doesn't fit in under the way Liverpool want to play, but he will score the occasional goal. If that's what we're aiming for, he's perfect.

Not sure if it was part of the plan for our foot to be taken off the pedal, but the team looked to have visibly run out of steam around the 65 min mark.

Mané in particular seemed to be running with anchors out behind him.

Several of the breaks forward in the last third of the game were screaming for one or two players to make a mad rush forward to provide support / options, but we looked like we had nothing left in the tank.

Klopp certainly had nothing on the bench to bring on to freshen things up.

Not sure if it was part of the plan for our foot to be taken off the pedal, but the team looked to have visibly run out of steam around the 65 min mark.

Mané in particular seemed to be running with anchors out behind him.

Several of the breaks forward in the last third of the game were screaming for one or two players to make a mad rush forward to provide support / options, but we looked like we had nothing left in the tank.

Klopp certainly had nothing on the bench to bring on to freshen things up.

Mane seems to give himself a ten minute breather halfway through every second half, where he just stops running at full pelt; I understand why he does it but it can be infuriating at times.

Mane seems to give himself a ten minute breather halfway through every second half, where he just stops running at full pelt; I understand why he does it but it can be infuriating at times.

It'd be great if it took a tea break at a time when we don't have good opportunities requiring a swift jog down the other end.

• Upvote 1

Dave,

I was looking forward to your report. So much incident/events/'controversy' to comment on.

So was actually surprised you turned it out so quickly. I'm just as surprised at your less than exhilarated tone.

I share the exasperation in the medium term, however we participated in a heavyweight slugging contest in which two titans of the Premier League tore into each other. It could have went either way, but at least we should revel in the moment of which we could have been worthy winners against an unmistakably talented side.

Can played like a Boss. Fair play to him, would be interesting to see what happens with Henderson is fit.

I've been saying for weeks that Origi is a disgrace, talent dying on the vine. Glad you agree. Himself and Sturridge as you say have killed us this season. How can we have a Plan B when either of them play? As options they weaken our side.

Looking forward to Klopp getting decent reinforcements this Summer and moving said disappointments on.

Oh, last word: LLALANA!!! WTF??&!!@?#!

M

Good report that,as you said could have gone either way so a fair result,more than happy with our performance,only disappointment for me on their goal was klavan looking round for aguero while running back into the box,no need,just concentrate on the ball coming in and get there first because you should know that's where you will find aguero.

Very surprised to hear the crowd booing Milner,normally all you hear there is deadly fuck'n silence

thought you would be keeping a low profile at the moment

why would that be?  

I thought you'd have found your utter bellwhiffery too much to bear, so had self-immolated by wrapping yourself in printouts of your idiot posts, before setting light to them, but even I'm wrong sometimes.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dave,

I was looking forward to your report. So much incident/events/'controversy' to comment on.

So was actually surprised you turned it out so quickly. I'm just as surprised at your less than exhilarated tone.

I share the exasperation in the medium term, however we participated in a heavyweight slugging contest in which two titans of the Premier League tore into each other. It could have went either way, but at least we should revel in the moment of which we could have been worthy winners against an unmistakably talented side.

Can played like a Boss. Fair play to him, would be interesting to see what happens with Henderson is fit.

I've been saying for weeks that Origi is a disgrace, talent dying on the vine. Glad you agree. Himself and Sturridge as you say have killed us this season. How can we have a Plan B when either of them play? As options they weaken our side.

Looking forward to Klopp getting decent reinforcements this Summer and moving said disappointments on.

Oh, last word: LLALANA!!! WTF??&!!@?#!

M

I agree that origi and sturridge needed to step up when mane went but in spite of this we have still scored more goals than anyone this season.

Klopp needs to take responsibility for not sorting out our defence.