You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Europe.

Fowlers God

Not being in Europe is awful.

Apart from a couple of the group stage games last year I absolutely loved the Europa League. The Dortmund game was a classic and there's something amazing about night games in the Spring.

All this talk of not being able to compete in more than competition is so depressing. If our stye of play means we can only play one game a week then maybe the style of play needs to change. We're never going to have a squad of 20 world class players so having a system which requires so much running and physical effort from the players is maybe what needs to change. We finished 3rd in 2001 and won all three cups that we entered. That was an extreme season but it shouldn't be an impossible dream now either.

This indifference to the cups from our fans is as much to blame for the loser mentality that runs through the whole club these days as any indifference from the owners - we've won as many trophies in 10 years as each of Wigan, Swansea, Portsmouth and Birmingham. How could anyone not want us to have a chance of winning in Europe as well?

Anyone who is indifferent to European qualification, or actually hoping we don't qualify, is a Negative Ninny.

And a shithouse cunt.

I was a shithouse cunt, until recent weeks.

But now that I realise (again, against irrational hope) that saving ourselves for a tilt at the League is fanciful, I'll take whatever I can get.

Even the (old) League Championship trophy would be fine.

Mind you, I suspect I'm a shithouse cunt nonetheless.

How do we not have a squad of that quality but FC Rostov or Genk (maybe it is Gent) or (insert any number of random vowels here) seem to be able to pull off this miracle?

Because the Premier League is a tougher league than the Russian or Belgian leagues? Or how about Ghenk are about 7th in the Belgian league and aren't challenging for their title or CL spot?

• Upvote 1

One of the worst days of my life, that. I was absolutely fuming when the Golden Goal went in and stormed out of the stadium. The following day, I was wearing a Liverpool shirt, when a German businessman approached me and congratulated me on the victory. I declined his offer of a handshake and instead requested that he punch me in the face.

• Upvote 3

It really isn't that hard to compete on 4 fronts - it has just become a part of the shitness of modern football to believe it is.

We did it in 2001 for example and used to regularly do it in the 80's with players clocking up 60 odd and nearly 70 games.

All you need is a core of about 15 who play a good solid 50 odd supported by 4 or 5 more who play 30 plus.

Here are the appearance stats from 2001 when of course we won 3 trophies and the top 4 trophy.

Westerveld 61

Babbel 60

Hyppia 58

Carragher 58

Heskey 56

Hamman 53

Henchoz 53

Gerrard 50

McAllister 49

Smicer 49

Fowler 48

Murphy 47

Owen 46

Barmby 46

There is your core of players playing around 50 and over. Support a core of that size with half a dozen who play 20 plus and it is job done.

You look at last season when we failed to achieve what those lads above did and there is barely a player who played over 50....but same amount of league games available, similar amount in europe and league cup as we got to finals...a handful less in fa cup but overall not a hugely different overall workload - why isn't there a core like in 01 playing around 50 and over?

Mig and Clyne 55 and 52 are only ones over 50 and there are only 4 with 40 or more and loads with single figures....It's a joke and belongs in the shitness of modern football.

• Upvote 1

Yes, but apparently you didn't need to be as fit in the 70s and 80s.

(Even though pitches were mud heaps, tackles were comparatively crippling and an entire squad was about 14 players.)

And other bollocks.

You don't think standards have risen in terms of fitness and conditioning since the 70s?

Liverpool are the all-time leaders when it comes to most goals in the first 30 minutes of games during one season. Their tally of 37 in 2013-14 took them to within two points of their first league title since 1990.

Roberto Firmino's ninth-minute opener in Saturday's victory over Arsenal was the 19th goal they have scored in the opening half-an-hour of games this season.

Jurgen Klopp's side may have faltered in their title challenge since the turn of the year, but they are well set to claim a top-four place and the past is on their side.

In Premier League history, 23 out of 28 teams who have scored the most goals in the opening third of the game finished in the top four at the end of the season.

That famous Champions League anthem may well be ringing round at Anfield next season

One of the worst days of my life, that. I was absolutely fuming when the Golden Goal went in and stormed out of the stadium. The following day, I was wearing a Liverpool shirt, when a German businessman approached me and congratulated me on the victory. I declined his offer of a handshake and instead requested that he punch me in the face.

Haha. In the Westfallon and the goal being down the other end, I hadnt realised it was an OG. The lad next to me said he thought it was but I didnt know.

Boss game, westerveld was absolute shite.