stringvest

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

On 06/07/2021 at 20:31, Kepler-186 said:

Not strictly old Liverpool but I think this is as good a place to put it.

46 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

A new pic, rather than old, but it's absolutely magnificent

Doesn't have to be old.  There are still plenty of fascinating pics to be had round here.

• Upvote 2

The Somali Club, Upper Parliament Street.  This, and the Ibo, the Gladray and Yoruba clubs, were the places you could have a fantastic night (and Sunday afternoon).  Strong lagers, exotic dancers, fantastic African (before Peter Gabriel got his mitts on it) and Reggae music, and occasionally, the most fantastic food served out of a massive pot.  Oh, and massive pot.  I'm ancient, but I was going to these places in my teens.  Sad to see them gone.

224216936_10160115294717565_9054606786500007962_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, stringvest said:

The Somali Club, Upper Parliament Street.  This, and the Ibo, the Gladray and Yoruba clubs, were the places you could have a fantastic night (and Sunday afternoon).  Strong lagers, exotic dancers, fantastic African (before Peter Gabriel got his mitts on it) and Reggae music, and occasionally, the most fantastic food served out of a massive pot.  Oh, and massive pot.  I'm ancient, but I was going to these places in my teens.  Sad to see them gone.

224216936_10160115294717565_9054606786500007962_n.jpg

My mum and dad ran a pub in Upper Parly waaaay back, before I was born.  My oldest sister's got good memories of when she was a toddler round there, being fussed over and looked after by all the neighbours, because it was a proper community. 

• Upvote 1

This does not come under the description of 'fascinating', but when I captured it, it felt like I'd 'got something'. This is looking down Wood St, opposite the Bombed Out Church. As I turned around, I saw this couple having their moment of passion. Well, she is, but I thought the least he could've done was taken his hands out of his pockets. Out of frame to the right, there's a car on Berry St, waiting to turn down Wood St, and the driver blasting the horn at them to move, but they don't give a fuck, as they're having their 'moment'. This all happened in an instant, and by the time I'd repositioned the camera to include the car, the scene was gone. It just wouldn't have made the same pic, had they been on the footpath; I wouldn't have cast them a second look, to be honest. But in the middle of the street blocking traffic...?

Wood St. 2014.png

• Upvote 7

28 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

This does not come under the description of 'fascinating', but when I captured it, it felt like I'd 'got something'. This is looking down Wood St, opposite the Bombed Out Church. As I turned around, I saw this couple having their moment of passion. Well, she is, but I thought the least he could've done was taken his hands out of his pockets. Out of frame to the right, there's a car on Berry St, waiting to turn down Wood St, and the driver blasting the horn at them to move, but they don't give a fuck, as they're having their 'moment'. This all happened in an instant, and by the time I'd repositioned the camera to include the car, the scene was gone. It just wouldn't have made the same pic, had they been on the footpath; I wouldn't have cast them a second look, to be honest. But in the middle of the street blocking traffic...?

Wood St. 2014.png

Great picture. Not quite the sailor in Times Square like but.... 

I lived on Wood St for a short while a few years back. In the Tea Factory. 

10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

My mum and dad ran a pub in Upper Parly waaaay back, before I was born.  My oldest sister's got good memories of when she was a toddler round there, being fussed over and looked after by all the neighbours, because it was a proper community. 

Yeah,that was my Dad's family's stomping ground and I spent my first few years in L8. It was a real community back then,everybody was still relatively poor but you barely noticed. Half the street seemed to be related to you and if not they were friends at least. 

Do the colours on that Cathedral Doves installation change, or is that just how the camera sees the colour in different lighting conditions? 

2 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

Do the colours on that Cathedral Doves installation change, or is that just how the camera sees the colour in different lighting conditions? 

Hi, if they do change I’m not aware of it…

There's a shop opposite Picton Clock in Wavertree that's been unoccupied for years now. I seem to recall it was some manner of letting agency. Anyway, they've taken off all the frontage to reveal this:

IMG_20210909_152114759_HDR.jpg

If I saw things in black and white I might have thought I was in Z-Cars.

On 24/09/2021 at 07:26, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Screenshot_2021-09-24-07-24-49-98_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

My arl fella told me about the overhead when I was a kid, I think it's a shame it didn't survive (it was rotted through though from what I'm told). I'd love to see something similar built now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

My arl fella told me about the overhead when I was a kid, I think it's a shame it didn't survive (it was rotted through though from what I'm told). I'd love to see something similar built now.

Imagine travelling along it years ago, all ships and goings on along a busy Dock Rd, wasn't it made of wood? if so it would of been impossible to preserve. 

Like the Stadium, though at least the arseholes could of kept the facade surely for people to look at and remember bygone days. 

33 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Imagine travelling along it years ago, all ships and goings on along a busy Dock Rd, wasn't it made of wood? if so it would of been impossible to preserve. 

Like the Stadium, though at least the arseholes could of kept the facade surely for people to look at and remember bygone days. 

It was metal I believe mate, technically could have been repaired but wouldn't have been economically viable. Shame.

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

It was metal I believe mate, technically could have been repaired but wouldn't have been economically viable. Shame.

Yes I suppose most of it was, for some reason I believed  a lot of the structure  was wooden, not the tracks obviously, but it's a shame they couldn't preserve just a stretch of it say down by the Pier Head as it would of been a great attraction. 

20 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes I suppose most of it was, for some reason I believed  a lot of the structure  was wooden, not the tracks obviously, but it's a shame they couldn't preserve just a stretch of it say down by the Pier Head as it would of been a great attraction. 

Can you imagine how pissed off the bloos are?  They would have had a ready made high level connection into the city.  

16 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Can you imagine how pissed off the bloos are?  They would have had a ready made high level connection into the city.  

Haha yeah, never thought of that. 

On 11/10/2021 at 23:27, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Wellington on top of his monument.

Apparently, he faces south east, towards Waterloo (in Belgium, not Sefton).

Screenshot_2021-10-11-23-24-22-67_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Getting a bit of a scrub in 1971.

Screenshot_2021-10-14-18-03-03-85_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg