You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

42 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Some good stuff on there, nice one.

Ever read The Cruel Sea? There’s a passage where the convoy is heading to Liverpool and they can see the city ablaze miles out at sea, with the crew not knowing about their loved ones. The film doesn’t even mention Liverpool for some reason. 

1 hour ago, Kepler-186 said:

Ever read The Cruel Sea? There’s a passage where the convoy is heading to Liverpool and they can see the city ablaze miles out at sea, with the crew not knowing about their loved ones. The film doesn’t even mention Liverpool for some reason. 

I bet there aren't many people who know Liverpool was the second most bombed city after London as it doesn't seems to get mentioned much.

There was a series on BBC a while ago regarding the blitz which was spread over 5 nights and I'm pretty sure it wasn't covered then either

• Upvote 1

Coleridge Street Kensington, the street I lived in until I was 6.

I reckon this photo was taken around 1970 or shortly after, the Austin 1100 is a G reg which is 69-70.

Coleridge St still exists but none of those houses do as there was a compulsory purchase order put on them and all houses were vacated around 1975. 

I think there's only the church building which used to be the Sally Army next door to Gaskells rag & bone yard still there and if course the street corners still there.

I loved that place as a kid, it was a slum, but everyone did their best to keep it presentable, the front doorsteps and pavements were worn due to the constant cleaning by the women.

It was full of characters all long gone now, Mrs Waugh for example who was widowed during the war. She used to trudge up the street to Kenny every day, sometimes twice a day, she used to wear a brown coat, blue hat and carried a blue shopping bag. 

She was a kindly old thing who always had a sweet for me, she used to call me "My little love".

Good times.image.png

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Britannia Pub, Breck Road/Ullswater Street. 1915.

It was a German-owned pub and, despite the fact that the owner's son was away fighting for the British, it got twatted in the anti-German riots following the sinking of the Lusitania.

20210517_222551.png

My Nana used to live on that street, probably 30 years ago. Think the pub looked pretty much the same.

20 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I bet there aren't many people who know Liverpool was the second most bombed city after London as it doesn't seems to get mentioned much.

There was a series on BBC a while ago regarding the blitz which was spread over 5 nights and I'm pretty sure it wasn't covered then either

Yeah on the BBC news it would be a “ north west port bombed” so it wouldn’t give the game away about how close the bombings had come to effectively shutting down the port. 

17 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Yeah on the BBC news it would be a “ north west port bombed” so it wouldn’t give the game away about how close the bombings had come to effectively shutting down the port. 

I used to play on the site of this, known as the debris as a kid.

Sorry it's a bit blurry, I had to do it as a screenshot.

Screenshot_20210518-111033.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kepler-186 said:

Years ago. 

Nicholas Monserrat, the author was from Rodney Street if memory serves.

Great book.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Haha, I remember those.

Pierre Head, Albert Dock, Rock Ferry etc.

Yeah they’re cool, quite a genius bit of marketing for a mid sized brewery. Higsons got bought by Boddingtons late 80s, who were then bought by Whitbread, who decided to close Stanhope Street. Then a company came in started doing the supermarket cans, then Cains was reborn. Used to love the Dark Mild and Cains Lager. Shame it’s not still a functioning brewery. The bottling plant is now some sort of shared workspace in the Baltic market. Progress, hey? 

2 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Yeah they’re cool, quite a genius bit of marketing for a mid sized brewery. Higsons got bought by Boddingtons late 80s, who were then bought by Whitbread, who decided to close Stanhope Street. Then a company came in started doing the supermarket cans, then Cains was reborn. Used to love the Dark Mild and Cains Lager. Shame it’s not still a functioning brewery. The bottling plant is now some sort of shared workspace in the Baltic market. Progress, hey? 

Yep, times change, and not always for the better.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Only after your Nana and her mates had been for a sesh.

When I used to stay with her in the summer holidays, I'd go down the road to visit a very large and imposing building. She always said not to go into any of the pubs because they were really rough. I was 6 or 7 at the time and got 2 pence pocket money.

22 minutes ago, Edward. said:

When I used to stay with her in the summer holidays, I'd go down the road to visit a very large and imposing building. She always said not to go into any of the pubs because they were really rough. I was 6 or 7 at the time and got 2 pence pocket money.

I must have been rich, I used to get 1/-,1d (one and a penny) off mine which works out about 6 pence.

4 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Coleridge Street Kensington, the street I lived in until I was 6.

I reckon this photo was taken around 1970 or shortly after, the Austin 1100 is a G reg which is 69-70.

Coleridge St still exists but none of those houses do as there was a compulsory purchase order put on them and all houses were vacated around 1975. 

I think there's only the church building which used to be the Sally Army next door to Gaskells rag & bone yard still there and if course the street corners still there.

I loved that place as a kid, it was a slum, but everyone did their best to keep it presentable, the front doorsteps and pavements were worn due to the constant cleaning by the women.

It was full of characters all long gone now, Mrs Waugh for example who was widowed during the war. She used to trudge up the street to Kenny every day, sometimes twice a day, she used to wear a brown coat, blue hat and carried a blue shopping bag. 

She was a kindly old thing who always had a sweet for me, she used to call me "My little love".

Good times.image.png

The molyneux pub near there is where I had my first ever pint I think I was about 10 or 11, it was somebody's christening.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The molyneux pub near there is where I had my first ever pint I think I was about 10 or 11, it was somebody's christening.

The Molyneux is directly opposite the end of the street. You can make it out in the picture.

It was great around there then but rough as arseholes now.

5 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

True.

And the city also suffered the worst ever civilian bombing in 1940 resulting in the deaths of 166 people 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-34938886

• Upvote 1

The SS Malakand which was used to carry munitions caught fire carrying 1,000 tons of explosives during the May Blitz of 1941. 

The explosion destroyed the no 2 Huskisson Dock. Debris from the ship was found two and a half miles away, and the anchor, which weighed 2 tons landed outside Bootle General Hospital a mile and a half away.

SS Malakand image.png

• Upvote 2