Jump to content
stringvest

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

Recommended Posts

I loved St John's Market as a kid especially upstairs. All the blag gear and the smell of vinegar on chips and beans. Essentially would walk around,  my mum ignoring all the shit I wanted but randomly stopping now and then and holding a pair of shite jeans against me.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I loved St John's Market as a kid especially upstairs. All the blag gear and the smell of vinegar on chips and beans. Essentially would walk around,  my mum ignoring all the shit I wanted but randomly stopping now and then and holding a pair of shite jeans against me.

Fucking beans?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I loved St John's Market as a kid especially upstairs. All the blag gear and the smell of vinegar on chips and beans. Essentially would walk around,  my mum ignoring all the shit I wanted but randomly stopping now and then and holding a pair of shite jeans against me.

 

There was a butcher stall with a plastic model butcher that used to swing its meat cleaver and look at you maniacally. Me nan and grandad were always at the nut stall getting bombay mix. 

 

It's like a secret world, the tourists and students didn't realise it was all there behind the veneer of jewelery and clothes shops, like a shebeen with Nucky Thompson stood in the doorway holding a pair of blag Reebok classics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From just by where I grew up.  Stanley Road, with the Roundhouse in the distance, and Tilottsons. , who used to make packaging for BAT, which was just the other side of Sandhills Lane

BFFA940D-5C83-4909-806B-F74D7F831B57.jpeg

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess it takes a real genius to turn St John’s actual market area from place that had personality into a soulless white void and it cost over £2 million quid to do it 

 

Just a shame as many a time I used to come here and enjoy a nice cup of Kopi Luwak 

 

 

JS92208750.jpg
 

 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-st-johns-market-looked-11457983


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2021 at 10:03, PrivateParts said:

Never seen this view before. 

 

 

 

That’s an unbelievable picture 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,its brilliant. Hard to believe its in Britain as opposed to somewhere mountainous in Europe. He wont be disappointed in that.

On Twitter, someone had to share a map with the sight lines drawn on it to convince people  (including me) that it's real.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PrivateParts said:

On Twitter, someone had to share a map with the sight lines drawn on it to convince people  (including me) that it's real.

I thought of Turin,or somewhere similar. As if in the shadow of the Alps or Pyrenees. The lad did well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 21:43, Stickman said:

Two lost streets of Liverpool 1913

 

https://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?108192-Lost-Streets-of-Liverpool

 

 

 

Hale Street a narrow alley connecting Dale St and Tithebarn St

Ey4MzdnWgAsbK9r?format=jpg&name=900x900
 

Old Post Office place 

 

Old-Post-Office-Place.jpg

 

 

 

I love this type of photo. They've just got something about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Britannia Pub, Breck Road/Ullswater Street. 1915.

It was a German-owned pub and, despite the fact that the owner's son was away fighting for the British, it got twatted in the anti-German riots following the sinking of the Lusitania.

20210517_222551.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 21:43, Stickman said:

Two lost streets of Liverpool 1913

 

https://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?108192-Lost-Streets-of-Liverpool

 

 

 

Hale Street a narrow alley connecting Dale St and Tithebarn St

Ey4MzdnWgAsbK9r?format=jpg&name=900x900
 

Old Post Office place 

 

Old-Post-Office-Place.jpg

 

 

 

Dale Street and Tithebarn Street were two of the original seven streets of Liverpool. Water Street was another. Only know this because me and my lad were talking about the origins of the City and where it got it's name and its history today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Dale Street and Tithebarn Street were two of the original seven streets of Liverpool. Water Street was another. Only know this because me and my lad were talking about the origins of the City and where it got it's name and its history today. 

Stringvest was on the panel that decided what to name them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I assume Water Street related to his leaky incontinence pants.

Tithebarn was named after a titty bar he couldn’t remember the name of 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×