You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

16 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Good old Reginald.

I think that was an Austin 1100 he was driving, which sort of proves my point.image.png

A few years ago I was watching Election night 1974, it had someone reporting from South Wales and you could see the every day goings on, like some fella going to the paper shop in a Parka and there it was the Mustard Austin Allegro, parked outside. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

A few years ago I was watching Election night 1974, it had someone reporting from South Wales and you could see the every day goings on, like some fella going to the paper shop in a Parka and there it was the Mustard Austin Allegro, parked outside. 

A 'few' years ago?

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes about 5 years ago  it was on all night, it showed Wilson at a social club in Huyton, it was a window into the past like I said about the everyday goings on in the background. 

BBC Parliament. 

Ah, yes, I remember that, I was channel hopping and saw a little bit of it.

I was 11 in 1974, a long time ago. Still remember Reginald reversing his car though and the other public information films of the time, patronising as they were.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

Ah, yes, I remember that, I was channel hopping and saw a little bit of it.

I was 11 in 1974, a long time ago. Still remember Reginald reversing his car though and the other public information films of the time, patronising as they were.

I was 15 just making the transition from collecting birds eggs to fingering girls and being a bumbling teenager. 

Some of those where good though, although some a bit sinister, but some things you did then and places you went where dangerous and looking back you think for fucksake I was lucky, some I know weren't. 

Weasels got a bad press in those ones on telly, but the Public Information films about playing on the railway etc where grim. 

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I know.  We've got a regular lunchtime rendezvous...

Shit! I've said too much. 

Any chance you could take her off my hands a few nights a week as well? Ideally Friday, Saturday and whenever we play during the week? 

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

I was 15 just making the transition from collecting birds eggs to fingering girls and being a bumbling teenager. 

Some of those where good though, although some a bit sinister, but some things you did then and places you went where dangerous and looking back you think for fucksake I was lucky, some I know weren't. 

Weasels got a bad press in those ones on telly, but the Public Information films about playing on the railway etc where grim. 

That one was, but I was thinking more of the 'Petunia' ones and that family eating at the table and there's a water leak.

You're right about some of the things we did, reckless and downright stupid at times, but that's youth all over, impulsive, fearless and just plain daft.

7 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

That one was, but I was thinking more of the 'Petunia' ones and that inveterate family are eating at the table and there's a water leak.

You're right about some of the things we did, reckless and downright stupid at times, but that's youth all over, impulsive, fearless and just plain daft.

Yep mad, the tongue on Petunia, nice day intit. 

2 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I hope you washed your hands first!

On 01/02/2021 at 18:41, Frank Dacey said:

I think the first British raids on Berlin were carried out by twin engined bombers; England to Berlin is a longer distance than from France to Liverpool, I guess. The Germans might claim to have been aiming for Leyland Motors but they had little chance of finding it. The easiest targets to find early in the war were waterside towns and cities. Water is one thing you can see at 10,000 feet on a pitch black night.

They got very close as Ward Street is probably about half a mile away from Leyland Motors. The story goes that anti aircraft fire caused the bomber crew to lose their path and hence why the bombs were dropped in the wrong place.

Regarding water; the River Ribble, River Lostock and River Darwen are within 5 miles of Leyland Motors so maybe they've followed one of them.

I wonder if railways could have been followed too if it was a reasonably clear moonlit night as the WCML and a branch off towards the Blackpool to Colne line are nearby too.

7 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

They got very close as Ward Street is probably about half a mile away from Leyland Motors. The story goes that anti aircraft fire caused the bomber crew to lose their path and hence why the bombs were dropped in the wrong place.

Regarding water; the River Ribble, River Lostock and River Darwen are within 5 miles of Leyland Motors so maybe they've followed one of them.

I wonder if railways could have been followed too if it was a reasonably clear moonlit night as the WCML and a branch off towards the Blackpool to Colne line are nearby too.

I think they were, there was something I saw last week or so about the well detailed maps of the UK and its network of railways etc and various installations. 

No doubt there was Spies mapping out routes for bombing offensives. I believe a lot of bombs where jettisoned in the surrounding areas, like round our way, a good few miles from targets like the docks as with the same as other cities. 

Maybe by losing that extra weight helped them to conserve fuel to get back? 

30 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I think they were, there was something I saw last week or so about the well detailed maps of the UK and its network of railways etc and various installations. 

No doubt there was Spies mapping out routes for bombing offensives. I believe a lot of bombs where jettisoned in the surrounding areas, like round our way, a good few miles from targets like the docks as with the same as other cities. 

Maybe by losing that extra weight helped them to conserve fuel to get back? 

That could very well be the case. Horrific to think that bomber crews would jettison bombs wherever they wanted just to make sure they got home and fuck everyone else.