You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

11 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

There was also a leather shop. Think that's moved to Central Station now.

It did look grim.

0_lime7.jpg

I think I remember that now, I know the one in Central Station but whether its the same one I don't know, but  I'm sure I read something a while back that said the shop has been trading in Liverpool for a long time. 

I suppose it was grim but grimness never occurred to me in those days, but these days nearly everything is grim. 

Age is cruel. 

58 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I'd literally just go into bed when I remembered it but still wasn't sure. Spent the next couple of hours tossing and turning wondering if I was was right or not.

Looking back, how fucking grim looking was that tower and the row of shops that sat in front of Lime Street station facade.

I think it was ok back in the day I seem to remember there being a few decent shops but like most things it was allowed to just fester and then shops started closing so obviously didn’t look great 

Also seem to recall there being a few food markets and shops via a subway that led from those shops to St Johns 

0305087e5e9519595cafd6673d48aacf.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've often looked at this and thought something didn't look right about it. 

Typical clickbait headline from the echo but still an interesting piece.

Unforgivable act of sacrilege' on St George's Hall 70 years ago

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/unforgivable-act-sacrilege-st-georges-19343765

2_St-Georges-Hall-Liverpool-Photo-by-Col

MPP_lec_290715_Hall_69.jpg

MPP_lec_290715_Hall_16.jpg

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I've often looked at this and thought something didn't look right about it. 

Typical clickbait headline from the echo but still an interesting piece.

Unforgivable act of sacrilege' on St George's Hall 70 years ago

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/unforgivable-act-sacrilege-st-georges-19343765

2_St-Georges-Hall-Liverpool-Photo-by-Col

MPP_lec_290715_Hall_69.jpg

MPP_lec_290715_Hall_16.jpg

Those DH clips on the handrail were still in use until quite recently. I bet you're made up you learnt that? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As some of you may have read elsewhere, my aunt has Alzheimer’s and is likely to have to remain in a care home. So we’re clearing her house of personal belongings and came across some stuff.

First up is the cost of being buried in a public grave in Anfield cemetery in 1952. My aunt Maureen who died when she was 6 months old. My Nan and grandad couldn’t afford a private plot. 17 shillings and sixpence.

Upk21KY.jpg

And the funeral director’s costs. 5 pounds 3 shillings and sixpence. I’d be interested to know why they put a postal stamp on the receipt if anyone knows.

UFlViTN.jpg

Next up is my nan’s cousin, the unfortunate Thomas Dobbs who was medically discharged from the army during WWI having suffered a broken leg, only to fall down St George’s steps in 1917 and fracture his skull, causing his death. Poor bastard. Taken 1915.

GRfFhV8.jpg

And the wife and kids he left behind. Elizabeth Anne Dobbs, with daughters Elizabeth (left) and Rosie. Taken 1914.

5gICWTZ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

58 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As some of you may have read elsewhere, my aunt has Alzheimer’s and is likely to have to remain in a care home. So we’re clearing her house of personal belongings and came across some stuff.

First up is the cost of being buried in a public grave in Anfield cemetery in 1952. My aunt Maureen who died when she was 6 months old. My Nan and grandad couldn’t afford a private plot. 17 shillings and sixpence.

Upk21KY.jpg

And the funeral director’s costs. 5 pounds 3 shillings and sixpence. I’d be interested to know why they put a postal stamp on the receipt if anyone knows.

UFlViTN.jpg

Next up is my nan’s cousin, the unfortunate Thomas Dobbs who was medically discharged from the army during WWI having suffered a broken leg, only to fall down St George’s steps in 1917 and fracture his skull, causing his death. Poor bastard. Taken 1915.

GRfFhV8.jpg

And the wife and kids he left behind. Elizabeth Anne Dobbs, with daughters Elizabeth (left) and Rosie. Taken 1914.

5gICWTZ.jpg

Fascinating stuff family history. It has the ability to either uplift you or break your heart .

I might get round to researching mine one of these days, I've thought about it often enough.

4 hours ago, Anubis said:

Upk21KY.jpg

UFlViTN.jpg

GRfFhV8.jpg

5gICWTZ.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Aunt. My guess with the postage stamp may be similar to the old postal order in that it could be exchanged for it's value? Or that it was posted onto somewhere after the death being confirmed by a doctor?

• Upvote 1

Looking at some of the WW2 pics, I always find it fascinating that German bombers could actually reach the North West and beyond.

I know the fighters only had enough fuel to reach London, stay for 10 minutes, and then RTB but the bombers must've had some serious fuel tanks on them. Especially powering two Jumo engines on either the HE111s, Ju-88s and the Daimler Benz on the Do-17s.

The fuckers hit Ward Street in Lostock Hall when they were looking for Leyland Motors in 1940. I grew up in Lostock Hall and learnt a lot about that attack while at school.

I think the first British raids on Berlin were carried out by twin engined bombers; England to Berlin is a longer distance than from France to Liverpool, I guess. The Germans might claim to have been aiming for Leyland Motors but they had little chance of finding it. The easiest targets to find early in the war were waterside towns and cities. Water is one thing you can see at 10,000 feet on a pitch black night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frank Dacey said:

I think the first British raids on Berlin were carried out by twin engined bombers; England to Berlin is a longer distance than from France to Liverpool, I guess. The Germans might claim to have been aiming for Leyland Motors but they had little chance of finding it. The easiest targets to find early in the war were waterside towns and cities. Water is one thing you can see at 10,000 feet on a pitch black night.

Thinking about the Morris Marina, Austin Allegro, Austin Montego, Austin Maestro and the Austin Mini Metro, they'd have done is a favour if they'd hit it.

• Like 1