You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Our houses in Toxteth were not dissimilar in the 60s and 70s but were called slums.

Some stunning houses in Toxteth. It's always funny seeing people's reactions to it when they've never been before as they're expecting the Bronx but some of the houses would be worth about five million if they were in the smoke.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Some stunning houses in Toxteth. It's always funny seeing people's reactions to it when they've never been before as they're expecting the Bronx but some of the houses would be worth about five million if they were in the smoke.

They were nearly all demolished in the late 70s/early 80s to make way for soulless,no doubt 'award winning' cookie cutter low cost houses.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The number of old mansions in South Liverpool (including Toxteth) is insane. Obviously most of them are now multi occupancy. The crazy thing is so many mansions and manor houses have been knocked down over the years. It must have been amazing in its pomp. If you were rich, anyway. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

The number of old mansions in South Liverpool (including Toxteth) is insane. Obviously most of them are now multi occupancy. The crazy thing is so many mansions and manor houses have been knocked down over the years. It must have been amazing in its pomp. If you were rich, anyway. 

It was originally occupied by doctors,lawyers,business owners and dock related higher income workers. I'm not sure when they moved out but when they did a few rented them out and became landlords. This may have contributed to its decline?

26 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I imagine Liverpool was basically colonised by rich shipowners and merchants from the South, no different to their little enclaves in India, Hong Kong and the likes. They lived in style while they were here, extracted lots of money, then left when the money dried up and took all that money with them, leaving behind the houses which were then turned into flats.

That's why I'm always dubious when people say Liverpool benefited from the slave trade for example, I don’t think 'Liverpool' did.

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

If you didn't see this last week, you and others will find this very interesting. Especially those with links to Toxteth.

Dan Cruickshank: At Home with the British The Terrace

Dan Cruickshank explores our love affair with the terrace - the home that more Britons live in than any other. We love it because it has proved brilliantly adaptable, encompassing the Victorian parlour and modern open-plan living with equal ease. 

Dan is in Toxteth, Liverpool 8. Famous for the riots that ripped it apart in the 1980s, Toxteth has a far richer and more varied history than that one tragic episode. Liverpool was the ultimate Victorian boom town, turned by trade and industry from provincial powerhouse into the second city of empire. 100,000 terraced houses were built to accommodate its vast workforce, with huge numbers in Toxteth. From a high of Victorian industry and immigration to a low of postwar decline, Toxteth's terraces have seen it all - even the 2015 Turner Prize, awarded for their remarkable 21st-century regeneration

I Player Linkage.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

If you didn't see this last week, you and others will find this very interesting. Especially those with links to Toxteth.

Dan Cruickshank: At Home with the British The Terrace

Dan Cruickshank explores our love affair with the terrace - the home that more Britons live in than any other. We love it because it has proved brilliantly adaptable, encompassing the Victorian parlour and modern open-plan living with equal ease. 

Dan is in Toxteth, Liverpool 8. Famous for the riots that ripped it apart in the 1980s, Toxteth has a far richer and more varied history than that one tragic episode. Liverpool was the ultimate Victorian boom town, turned by trade and industry from provincial powerhouse into the second city of empire. 100,000 terraced houses were built to accommodate its vast workforce, with huge numbers in Toxteth. From a high of Victorian industry and immigration to a low of postwar decline, Toxteth's terraces have seen it all - even the 2015 Turner Prize, awarded for their remarkable 21st-century regeneration

I Player Linkage.

Great recommendation mate, we just watched it now.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is amazing. One of the scruffy little 'erberts in the famous Steble Fountain pic grew up to be a jazz pioneer in South America. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/global-music-star-liverpool-youve-18789361.amp?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

Enjoyed that. Fascinating. 

27 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This is amazing. One of the scruffy little 'erberts in the famous Steble Fountain pic grew up to be a jazz pioneer in South America. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/global-music-star-liverpool-youve-18789361.amp?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

Good read that. Be sad if was a bluenose .

56 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I read that, a great picture and story. 

Ive got it on my phone and keep meaning to get it framed as I did with that one of the railway Liverpool to Southport that's in the Wetherspoons on Lime St. 

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Kwik Save from Hanover St 2002....You used to have to go down a set of stairs to get in so kind of made shoplifting more of a challenge

I'm sure the Golden Phoenix Chinese Restaurant was on the 2nd floor there. Might be a building back but that definitely looks like it. Me and my mum used to go there for dinner when we were shopping in town.