You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

William+Brown+st+-+1968.jpg

William Brown Street, outside the museum. in 1968.  Ford Classic in the foregrounds and AEC Regent V behind.  Notice the cart behind the three blokes with the shovels.  They were battery powered and were used primarily for collecting rubbish, but obviously this one had been filled with grit to help clear the roads and pavements.

• Upvote 5

I remember that Mick.  Do they still do that, or have the scumbags won?

Long gone mate. One of the first things to go when the park started to fall into decline back in the 70s. Wasn't scumbags but lack of funds. Wasn't long after that that the palm house as we knew it shut.

Here's a up to date image of the palm house or the Isla Gladstone Conservatory as its known now. Why they modeled it on one of the Banana Splits I'll never know.

6196220466_d32e9bff2f_b.jpg

• Upvote 6

haha!  so it is!  Yes, I know the palm house is back to something like its former glory, but I don't often walk over by where the clock used to be.  My ana used to live right at the top of Fountains Road, within spitting distance of the park.  I lived right at the bottom of Fountains Road at the Stanley Road end, so Stanley Park was the nearest bit of grass we had.

haha!  so it is!  Yes, I know the palm house is back to something like its former glory, but I don't often walk over by where the clock used to be.  My ana used to live right at the top of Fountains Road, within spitting distance of the park.  I lived right at the bottom of Fountains Road at the Stanley Road end, so Stanley Park was the nearest bit of grass we had.

I'm pretty sure that the area where the floral clock used to be was reclaimed when they did all the work in the park and put the lake back to how it used to be. The floral clock was in the sunken gardens which I think was originally part of the lake.

I was born in Tetlow St and I went to schools in the Fountains Road. St Johns Infants and junior schools and then to English Martyrs. Do you remember Frosts when it was a department store ?

liverpool-churches-l4-st-john-the-evange