You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

It was. Skip back to the bottom of the last page.

Just seen that, fucksake the anchor getting blasted that far. 

Being from Bootle I've heard a few stories about it, imagine the noise of the explosion, it would of been heard and seen for miles around and beyond. 

5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Just seen that, fucksake the anchor getting blasted that far. 

Being from Bootle I've heard a few stories about it, imagine the noise of the explosion, it would of been heard and seen for miles around and beyond. 

My Grandad reckoned that parts were found over the water.

Surprisingly, and very luckily, only 4 people were killed by the blast.

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

True.

And the city also suffered the worst ever civilian bombing in 1940 resulting in the deaths of 166 people 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-34938886

Here's an article from The Echo commemorating the 70th anniversary.

70th anniversary of Durning Road bomb disaster that claimed 166 Liverpool lives

THE victims of the bombing of a Liverpool air raid shelter described by Winston Churchill as the “single worst incident of the war” are to be remembered in a ceremony to mark 70 years since the tragedy.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Bomb site
Bomb site

Get our daily Echo newsletter for the biggest stories and breaking news

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.

THE victims of the bombing of a Liverpool air raid shelter described by Winston Churchill as the “single worst incident of the war” are to be remembered in a ceremony to mark 70 years since the tragedy.

More than 160 men, women and children were killed when a land mine attached to a parachute hit the Junior Instruction Centre in Durning Road, Edge Hill, in the early hours of November 29, 1940.

When the bomb hit, it sent the three-storey college crashing down into the shelter on top of the 300 people hiding there.

PROMOTED STORIES

The college’s furnaces were burst, fires raged and boiling water and steam scorched the victims who had not been obliterated by the falling debris. Many were buried alive.

The horror devastated the tight-knit community around Edge Lane.

The Lucas family lost four children in the tragedy and their bereft mum did not speak for six months afterwards.

Stan Smart, 83, whose aunt, uncle and neighbour were killed in the disaster, had been in the doomed shelter only hours before the fatal raid. Nightly, he would take blankets into the Durning Road shelter in order to reserve spaces for members of his family, who would bunk down there even when there were no air raids, such was the fear.

Mr Smart, who was 12 at the time of the bombing, said: “My uncle came into our shelter looking for Mr Robinson, a neighbour.

“His daughter was in the college shelter and it was such a bad night’s raid she was worried about him and wanted him to be with her. I’ll never forget watching as my uncle led him away. That was the last time we saw them.”

Mr Smart, who lives in Kensington, added the devastation had been so great that his dad and brother’s frantic searches of the temporary morgues set up to house the dead bore no fruit other than finding his uncle’s watch.

He said: “Because it had been covered in boiling water from the burst pipes the leather strap just crumbled in their fingers.

“He couldn’t be identified. That was the only way we knew he had died.”

On Sunday at 6pm, a memorial service will take place at Kensington Primary school – where the spared shelter was housed – before the memorial bearing the names of all 166 victims is officially unveiled. It has been in safe keeping at the Cathedral for many years and has been found a new home with the help of Liverpool Vision.

Rev Mike Coates, who has organised the service, said: “This service gives us a real opportunity for the community to come together and remember those whose lives were either lost or changed forever.

“In many ways, tragedies like this are continuing to happen all around the world today, and we can forget the profound effect they have on communities.”

Following the publication of this account of the bombing of Durning Road shelter, the Post and ECHO has learned of the birth of a baby in the midst of the rescue operation. It is understood the baby's mother perished in the disaster, but thought that the child survived. Are you this child or do you know who it may be? If so, contact reporter Marc Waddington on 0151 472 2403 or email marc.waddington@liverpool.com

FOLLOW US
theliverpoolecho

PROMOTED STORIES

11 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Really, I was going to say imagine if you knew someone that was working at the time you would of been thinking there'd be no chance, a miracle for sure. 

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I posted that on a Bootle and Sefton group site and someone said 2 of the 4 people killed was in a car that was hit by a metal plate from the ship, now that is bad luck. 

My Mum used to tell us stories about the May blitz , how they could hear the German bombers heading for Seaforth docks they lived on the flight path and of course the surrounding areas were flattened. 

Soon after that they were all evacuated to Gloucestershire to see out the war in relative safety she was 10 and the oldest of the 4 kids sent away from Liverpool grim times Indeed 

12 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Here's an article from The Echo commemorating the 70th anniversary.

70th anniversary of Durning Road bomb disaster that claimed 166 Liverpool lives

liverpoolecho
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Bomb site
Bomb site

Get our daily Echo newsletter for the biggest stories and breaking news

Subscribe for free
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.THE victims of the bombing of a Liverpool air raid shelter described by Winston Churchill as the “single worst incident of the war” are to be remembered in a ceremony to mark 70 years since the tragedy.

More than 160 men, women and children were killed when a land mine attached to a parachute hit the Junior Instruction Centre in Durning Road, Edge Hill, in the early hours of November 29, 1940.

When the bomb hit, it sent the three-storey college crashing down into the shelter on top of the 300 people hiding there.

PROMOTED STORIES

The college’s furnaces were burst, fires raged and boiling water and steam scorched the victims who had not been obliterated by the falling debris. Many were buried alive.

The horror devastated the tight-knit community around Edge Lane.

The Lucas family lost four children in the tragedy and their bereft mum did not speak for six months afterwards.

Stan Smart, 83, whose aunt, uncle and neighbour were killed in the disaster, had been in the doomed shelter only hours before the fatal raid. Nightly, he would take blankets into the Durning Road shelter in order to reserve spaces for members of his family, who would bunk down there even when there were no air raids, such was the fear.

That sounds very similar to an incident up here.

There was an air raid shelter in the cellar of a factory in North Shields, the factory took a direct hit and everything collapsed into the shelter. 

16 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The molyneux pub near there is where I had my first ever pint I think I was about 10 or 11, it was somebody's christening.

Mine was the Lord Clive back of the Wookey.

Lived in Cambria Street until the council wooed me with the bright lights of Noggsy.

22 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Really, I was going to say imagine if you knew someone that was working at the time you would of been thinking there'd be no chance, a miracle for sure. 

It was amazing, cos according to the timesheets there were 800 people at work on that dock that day.