You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I loved St John's Market as a kid especially upstairs. All the blag gear and the smell of vinegar on chips and beans. Essentially would walk around,  my mum ignoring all the shit I wanted but randomly stopping now and then and holding a pair of shite jeans against me.

Fucking beans?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I loved St John's Market as a kid especially upstairs. All the blag gear and the smell of vinegar on chips and beans. Essentially would walk around,  my mum ignoring all the shit I wanted but randomly stopping now and then and holding a pair of shite jeans against me.

There was a butcher stall with a plastic model butcher that used to swing its meat cleaver and look at you maniacally. Me nan and grandad were always at the nut stall getting bombay mix. 

It's like a secret world, the tourists and students didn't realise it was all there behind the veneer of jewelery and clothes shops, like a shebeen with Nucky Thompson stood in the doorway holding a pair of blag Reebok classics.

Guess it takes a real genius to turn St John’s actual market area from place that had personality into a soulless white void and it cost over £2 million quid to do it 

Just a shame as many a time I used to come here and enjoy a nice cup of Kopi Luwak 

JS92208750.jpg

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-st-johns-market-looked-11457983

50 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,its brilliant. Hard to believe its in Britain as opposed to somewhere mountainous in Europe. He wont be disappointed in that.

On Twitter, someone had to share a map with the sight lines drawn on it to convince people  (including me) that it's real.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2021 at 21:43, Stickman said:

Two lost streets of Liverpool 1913

https://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?108192-Lost-Streets-of-Liverpool

Hale Street a narrow alley connecting Dale St and Tithebarn St

Ey4MzdnWgAsbK9r?format=jpg&name=900x900

Old Post Office place 

Old-Post-Office-Place.jpg

I love this type of photo. They've just got something about them.

On 13/04/2021 at 21:43, Stickman said:

Two lost streets of Liverpool 1913

https://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/showthread.php?108192-Lost-Streets-of-Liverpool

Hale Street a narrow alley connecting Dale St and Tithebarn St

Ey4MzdnWgAsbK9r?format=jpg&name=900x900

Old Post Office place 

Old-Post-Office-Place.jpg

Dale Street and Tithebarn Street were two of the original seven streets of Liverpool. Water Street was another. Only know this because me and my lad were talking about the origins of the City and where it got it's name and its history today. 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Dale Street and Tithebarn Street were two of the original seven streets of Liverpool. Water Street was another. Only know this because me and my lad were talking about the origins of the City and where it got it's name and its history today. 

Stringvest was on the panel that decided what to name them