You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found this on Twitter. There's something off about this, to me, like it's been shopped or manipulated in some way. The car behind the boy is a low contrast muddy grey, and blurred out of focus, yet the outline of the man and the barrels beyond it, are sharper and very contrasty.  

Nonetheless, the boy and the dog are totally captivating in their expressions and the clothes. There's no knowing if the pic was taken by the boy's parent, or if it was just a chance pic of a lone 6 year old boy wandering around Prince's Dock with his best pal, his dog. That wouldn't have been in any way odd at the time the pic was taken. First of all, kids would've been regularly seen out on their own, living on their own streetwise wits. Not a chance that could happen today. There wouldn't be any kids wandering about, and if anyone pointed a camera at them, they'd be collared before they got to the end of the street.

Observations about its makeup aside, I think it's just a beautiful and captivating environmental portrait that tells a story of a very different time and place.

Liverpool Docks boy & dog.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Doh'Nuts said:

I found this on Twitter. There's something off about this, to me, like it's been shopped or manipulated in some way. The car behind the boy is a low contrast muddy grey, and blurred out of focus, yet the outline of the man and the barrels beyond it, are sharper and very contrasty.  

Nonetheless, the boy and the dog are totally captivating in their expressions and the clothes. There's no knowing if the pic was taken by the boy's parent, or if it was just a chance pic of a lone 6 year old boy wandering around Prince's Dock with his best pal, his dog. That wouldn't have been in any way odd at the time the pic was taken. First of all, kids would've been regularly seen out on their own, living on their own streetwise wits. Not a chance that could happen today. There wouldn't be any kids wandering about, and if anyone pointed a camera at them, they'd be collared before they got to the end of the street.

Observations about its makeup aside, I think it's just a beautiful and captivating environmental portrait that tells a story of a very different time and place.

It looks like it could be one of those old stereoscopic images .

Vintage+3D+(1).gif

24 minutes ago, Doh'Nuts said:

That's Stringvest

In the background 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Doh'Nuts said:

I've seen the old guy with the bike in the background before. The front arch on the car has been really badly photoshopped where it lines up against what looks like barrels.

Was trying to see if anglecakes on twitter who puts up loads of photos of Liverpool on the guy on the bike before but she appears to have been banned. 

Edit: Found the man with the bike.

Dm6EJdhXoAY6Syo?format=jpg&name=large

Which was in among this lot

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/gallery/liverpool-docks-through-the-decades-7294190

It's a bit weird. Keen powers of observation there - all you can see of the bike is a little bit of the handlebars.

It looks like someone's taken the photo of the guy with the bike and badly photoshopped the car into the photo and then added the boy and the dog.

The front of the car by the barrels and the bottom of it to the left of the dogs ear are distinctly dodgy. The boy and his dog looks like they've been added quite well but the ground that the boy is standing on looks like countryside rather than the cobblestones that should be there.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

Pretty sure Angelcake was back up and running some time ago, Chevs. Her collection of Liverpool pictures are going to be worth their own museum at some point.

Is she under a new username? The old one shows as suspended and she doesn't show up on my list of people I am following now.