You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester City 3 Liverpool 1 (Feb 27 2017)

tlw content

leicesterreport2.jpg

I know I shouldn’t be shocked by these kind of performances anymore, and yet I was. Of course it was entirely predictable and many of you will have seen it coming, but I didn’t. I expected us to beat Leicester and although Ranieri’s sacking did set some alarm bells off, after a 16 day “mini pre-season” coming off the back of the great performance against Spurs, I expected a performance. More fool me. 

Forget the talk afterwards of how brilliant Leicester played and how fired up they were. They weren’t that good, they were just competent. Vardy was outstanding but their overall display didn’t do anything to justify how bad we were. This was maybe 20% about Leicester and the rest was completely on us. Klopp even said as much afterwards when he said it “wasn’t that intense.” 

He’s right, it wasn’t. Leicester put in much more effort than they had been giving Ranieri, but they were still poor and there for the taking. So many times we got into good positions against them and they were wide open at the back. Not as wide open as us, but still. There were goals to be had against them but the front three were fucking abysmal, and when that happens don’t expect anyone else to ride to the rescue. 

And then there’s the defence. Fuck me, it was as though they’d never seen Leicester - or Vardy - play before. eWe were just what the doctor ordered for a team that hadn’t even scored, let alone won, in 2017. That’s modern Liverpool though, a shit team’s wet dream. 

These losers got themselves knocked out of two cups and were rewarded with a nice little warm weather training break in La Manga. I completely understand why Klopp did that and in theory it was a good idea. When they return and play like this in their first game back though it makes a mockery of the whole thing. Hopefully he’ll think twice before spoiling them like that again. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

Depressingly spot on, except I don't give Clyne a pass either as his delivery and final product is appalling. He can defend though which is an exception.

I have just about reached the end of the road, never felt less like supporting the players out there, it's only loyalty to the club name and the great times it has given me that makes me want to go anymore.

• Upvote 2

We rely on our full backs to provide width but, especially recently, our opponents have kept a narrow shape and left the space on the flanks. Milner hasn't been brilliant recently by any means, but he has always looked to get into that space, and he's prepared to take on his man and get the ball into the box. If anything, Clyne has been afforded more space but he hasn't utilised it all well. He is constantly cutting back and playing it infield. Sometimes that's necessary but he's doing it every single time and what it does is check our forward momentum as well as giving opponents a chance to get set. We end up playing the ball across the pitch and back, and our most forward players have to drop back deep to find space again, so we have no real options to pick out in the middle once we do get the ball wide again.

Ha ha fuckin hell that team list at the end. Can't disagree with a word of that. I see the disgruntled comments have already started about klopp, and you know that once these things start at Liverpool it rarely gets reversed. I will stick to the fact tho that no manager wether it be Brendan, kenny, ancelotti, or even shitcoat could thrive under these owners. Thre model is totally flawed from top to bottom and it has failed year on year out. The fantbase needs to wake up to them quick and put the pressure on because as we found out last year they don't like any kind of negative publicity. They've had a relatively free ride up to now but it has to change or lfc will be lost forever imho. All they care about is good PR and protecting the brand and maximising they're investment. You could even say that the appointment of klopp was the ultimate PR excersise. They knew the feel good factor it would give the fans would buy them a lot of time. We know tho that having klopp or any quality manager is a waste of time when the club is being run by them shysters.

• Upvote 7

Hmmm. Hard hitting and I agree with most of it.

Clyne's been good for most of the season. Last night he was as bad as any and his crossing woeful.

Cant agree with the comments about sakho but that's all about opinions.

Wish I knew what the answer was apart from the obvious.

All spot on Dave tho you are remarkably restrained...I'd have added a shit load more profanity..anyways the biggest problem we have had since late eighties is that we have only had a few players with the spirit, determination, self belief,passion, motivation and do or die for shirt attitude that brought us 25yrs of success. The few that we had almost single handedly won us the trophies we've won since early nineties...Managers have come and gone but until we sign winners with balls of steel and the stamina to last 90 minutes never mind a season then it's more of the same unfortunately. Btw I thought Klopp pre and post match interviews were shite..YNWA

Lucas Levia is our second choice centre half....just let that sink , a player who wouldn't play in that position for any other side in not only the prem but probably the championship too. And yet a club with ambitions to challenge for honours and the top four is still having to rely on a player who should have been shipped out years ago.

And I'm not having a go at Licas there as it's not his fault and he is one of the few players who isn't a runny turd when a few tackles fly in.

There have been plenty of players and sides over the last 27 years who you can't stand but I don't think I've ever been as disgusted and let down as I have been as with this group of players.

Not sure what the answer is as you can't obviously get shut of them all (who'd buy them?) but these are mostly the same group who cowardly threw in the towel in the UEFA Cup Final so I'm not sure why we are surprised.

If we are going to buy in the summer then can we actually buy men who like to tackle and hate to lose and don't roll over when a side gets in their faces and also not tattooed fancy haircut tarts with white teeth who turn up when we take on sides who let them play.

• Upvote 3

Chelsea won the Champions League with Roberto di matteo after buying every manager in world football.

We will win the league again at some stage and it may not necessarily be the best manager that wins us it.

I take the view that the players won the CL for chelsea while di matteo was 'manager.' He was gone soon after and every job he's done since, he's been shit (in my humble opinion).

It is akin to saying like dave said in a match report a few weeks ago, would you trade winning the PL title one year and getting relegated the next (as leicester were looking to do)?

Yes, shocks happen, you only have to look at Leicester last season.

We have a Central Midfielder at Left Back, we have a central midfielder at Centre Back. We have Englands reserve right back and Matip.

We have a proper left back who can't get in cos of Milner !

And we wonder why we will concede more than 50 goals this season.

We are weak nd toothless up front (Firminos nashers aside).

How many long balls did we play last night, Huth and Morgan's dream.

Look at the squad and ask how many are first choice internationals in the position.

We are just also rans

• Upvote 1

I take the view that the players won the CL for chelsea while di matteo was 'manager.' He was gone soon after and every job he's done since, he's been shit (in my humble opinion).

It is akin to saying like dave said in a match report a few weeks ago, would you trade winning the PL title one year and getting relegated the next (as leicester were looking to do)?

Yes, shocks happen, you only have to look at Leicester last season.

It doesn't matter a fuck how they did it, he was the manager when they won it. You could say that about Leicester. Wasn't ranieri it was Mahrez and Vardy.

I know the Dutch are an honest sort but might not be good to admit we are fannies.

'We knew beforehand that it was going to be tough, especially in the first couple of minutes, but we didn't adapt well in the game,' he told the club's website. 'They were playing really hard in the beginning; you could see it in the first couple of minutes when they made the tackle on Sadio – that was a sign that it was going to be a really difficult game.