You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Methods Getting Stick Again...

an tha

So your beef is the fact that the owners have stopped selling our players for peanuts and got a proper valuation for them because you say they have a profit and havent spent. Yet, all those players I mentioned have cost at least £20m (except sakho).

Overpaying for shit players is doesn't compensate for for missing out on good players e.g., Alexis, Salah, William, Mkhitaryan, Dahoud, etc.

• Upvote 1

Overpaying for shit players is doesn't compensate for for missing out on good players e.g., Alexis, Salah, William, Mkhitaryan, Dahoud, etc.

Oh hang on, you were saying we didnt spend the money! Now, its we overspent on shit players. Who signed the shit players then, the owners or the managers?

I think the amount of pull we have - to a 20 year old player - is vastly overrated by us.  We probably have no more than Spurs if truth be told, possibly less, and certainly less than Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea.  To a young player, our history is ancient, and has no relevance to football today.  It's like me thinking about what relevance a club's success in the 1950s would have in the 1970s.  I can just about remember back to the 70s - and the answer would be 'fuck all'.  

Plus, we have no demonstrable ambition over the past decade.  We have Klopp, who must have some pull, but that won't beat a big contract and the chance to play with big names and play regularly in the CL.

In one.

People don't understand someone like Brandt choosing Bayern Munich over us. 

Why wouldn't he? 

The Champions League means everything. Without it good players think we're a small club and even a waster with health problems like Gotze rejected us because we weren't in it.

We were linked with Gotze from the start of last summer, didn't get him but got Mane.

Summer before Depay was apparently our target - went to the Mancs, but we switched to Firmino.

Easy in hindsight I know but that turned out swimmingly.

Mane+Firmino > Depay+Gotze by some way.

• Upvote 1

Oh hang on, you were saying we didnt spend the money! Now, its we overspent on shit players. Who signed the shit players then, the owners or the managers?

I think the answer to this question may be the managers.

All managers do it to be fair, but Rodgers, Hodgson and Kenny all had more than their fair share of shit signings. To some degree Rafa as well.

Klopp has a fairly good record so far, his main fault is having spent too little and entered this season with a paper thin squad.

• Upvote 1

I'm not even sure that money (at least money paid to the club and the player) is the main issue.

I think it is. The players aren't really football fans are they. Many examples of very good players moving to City, PSG, Russian clubs and Chinese clubs for the money.

Agreed. Hence we need to spend money, like City, United and Chelsea do.

Even if we started tossing around £50m bids for fun, we'd still need to convince the players to come, something that's a little hard to do when you don't have the financial capacity to pay multiple players 200k per week or when your average league position in the past decade is 6th place.

• Upvote 1

I don't know Jimmy, I don't particularly care. Our overall net spend is very low because we get good money from our best players, but as opposed to investing all of the proceeds on players of similar quality we try to skimp it by trying to be clever and buy promising 'talents', and because we aren't so good at negotiating we tend overpay for them.

I think the answer to this question may be the managers.

All managers do it to be fair, but Rodgers, Hodgson and Kenny all had more than their fair share of shit signings. To some degree Rafa as well.

Klopp has a fairly good record so far, his main fault is having spent too little and entered this season with a paper thin squad.

Agreed. Love Kenny to death but we spent some money on players I was really disappointed in.

Bottom line as robbie and stringy have said is, we arent a big draw to many players nowadays. Our history is great but players arent interested in history.

To be honest, if Klopp doesnt want to splash stupid money on players and instead build a team like he did at BVB, Im cool with that. I think some people get out of their tree over this net spend issue. We've stopped getting peanuts for players we sell. We picked up a couple of players on frees milner and matip and got Coutinho for £8m. We spunked £32m on benteke in comparison.

Signing the right players is the key not signing players just because they cost £40m+

I don't know Jimmy, I don't particularly care. Our overall net spend is very low because we get good money on our best players, but as opposed to investing all of the proceeds on players of similar quality we try to skimp it by trying to be clever and buy promising 'talents', and because we aren't so good at negotiating we tend overpay for them.

What's knowing people got to do with it?

Fucking hell you'll be telling us next we should spunk £50m on Van Dijk. Oh wait.......

Even if we started tossing around £50m bids for fun, we'd still need to convince the players to come, something that's a little hard to do when you don't have the financial capacity to pay multiple players 200k per week or when your average league position in the past decade is 6th place.

If competing for the league is beyond them then they should sell us to other owners who are willing.

Spunking money on shit players is an art form our club has mastered in recent times but one I'd like to see change. Klopp has done well so far in that his big investments,Mane and Wijnaldum,who were both 20 million plus can be considered to be successful signings so far. The problem is that filling the gaps in a 'paper thin' squad cannot be done by spending that kind of money on each player. I am quite happy to see players who have a definite role to play in our system bought even if they are bargain basement buys. The cost of a player doesn't always equal his worth or ability and I am happy for Klopp and his team to sign players with this in mind.

• Upvote 1

Spunking money on shit players is an art form our club has mastered in recent times but one I'd like to see change. Klopp has done well so far in that his big investments,Mane and Wijnaldum,who were both 20 million plus can be considered to be successful signings so far. The problem is that filling the gaps in a 'paper thin' squad cannot be done by spending that kind of money on each player. I am quite happy to see players who have a definite role to play in our system bought even if they are bargain basement buys. The cost of a player doesn't always equal his worth or ability and I am happy for Klopp and his team to sign players with this in mind.

Agree 100% and unfortunately its a concept a lot of fans dont get. Every signing needs to be a £50m signing or some will be upset. A James Milner type player has a big part to play in any side challenging for silverware.

If we do finish in the top four, it'll take huge investment just to stay there. If we don't qualify two years straight I hope the fans aren't stupid enough to turn on Klopp and ignore the real problem at the club. Doubt it though.

It's a miracle being in touching distance of the top four having fuck all investment after inheriting a poor team with no spine, fight or top class players.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Off the top of my head Utd signed Di Maria without the CL. City signed Toure and Silva without CL. Chelsea signed David Luiz and Kante without CL. We've made more money than any club in the world from player sales, so we have the money.. the owners just aren't willing to spend

Chelsea and Utd were out of the CL for a very short period of time in comparison to us and Man City had unprecedented cash reserves to grossly overpay players.

We made a loss and have 8 million in cash in the accounts (based on the recently published accounts)

We have the ability to spend but I'm not sure where this idea that we have mountains of cash keeps coming from, especially in comparison to Arsenal, City, United and Chelsea.

Klopp is a genius, done wonders with this squad. If we'd had the luck with injuries that Chelsea had there's no doubt we'd still be in the title race.

I love Klopp and this isn't a dig at him at all but part of the reason we've had injuries this year is how intense we play, the problem is not having the squad to cover the first XI injuries, if Henderson was a backup for a top class centre mid then his injury record wouldn't seem as bad this year it's just we're relying on him to stay fit because if him or say Lallana are out then we have to reshuffle the whole team.

I love Klopp and this isn't a dig at him at all but part of the reason we've had injuries this year is how intense we play, the problem is not having the squad to cover the first XI injuries, if Henderson was a backup for a top class centre mid then his injury record wouldn't seem as bad this year it's just we're relying on him to stay fit because if him or say Lallana are out then we have to reshuffle the whole team.

I think Klopp will learn from this season and factor these things in in future. I don't think its that we are 'too intense' its just that its probably too intense for our current bunch of fannies and future signings will represent players who are physically,and mentally,stronger than our current crop.

I think Klopp will learn from this season and factor these things in in future. I don't think its that we are 'too intense' its just that its probably too intense for our current bunch of fannies and future signings will represent players who are physically,and mentally,stronger than our current crop.

our two biggest signings in the summer will each get injured early next season and both will be out for several weeks.  

TES151016_p12_meg.jpg

Is right