You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Methods Getting Stick Again...

an tha

If it wasnt for that pesky African Nations Cup taking Mane away we'd be challenging for the title now.

Not even that

We lost to Burnley,Hull,Swansea and Dropped 4pts to Bournemouth

No excuses wether we had Mane or not

Not even that

We lost to Burnley,Hull,Swansea and Dropped 4pts to Bournemouth

No excuses wether we had Mane or not

It's frustrating as all hell really, especially with Chelsea now wobbling.

When you're going through a bad patch you either need a couple of quality players to score goals to get you wins, or a defence capable of keeping clean sheets to help you grind out results.

With Mane away it showed we were lacking that other quality player (plus Coutinho was injured and/or a bit shit) and the defence. We're not far away, but the last two seasons have been decent opportunities to win the fucking thing if we'd just had our act together.

As long as we qualify for Champions League football this season he'll have justified his methods and decisions. That's the most important thing we can achieve as a club at the moment as it will make us so much more attractive as a destination for good players and he'll be able to truly build the team in his image.

As long as we qualify for Champions League football this season he'll have justified his methods and decisions. That's the most important thing we can achieve as a club at the moment as it will make us so much more attractive as a destination for good players and he'll be able to truly build the team in his image.

Not entirely sure CL qualification counts for anything as LFC are concerned. Seem to recall a shit transfer window after we finished runners up to Man City?

The Champions League means everything. Without it good players think we're a small club and even a waster with health problems like Gotze rejected us because we weren't in it.

It doesn't really. No CL means you just have to pay more money. Like Utd had to for Pogba for example.

Only a select few clubs in the world can afford to be so stupid with money like United and we aren't one of them. We need to offer a solid footballing project to attract players. Without Champions League football we aren't an attractive club. Even if we were willing to offer Paul Pogba ridiculous wages and we gave Juve 90m, he'd still laugh in our face.

Only a select few clubs in the world can afford to be so stupid with money like United and we aren't one of them. We need to offer a solid footballing project to attract players. Without Champions League football we aren't an attractive club. Even if we were willing to offer Paul Pogba ridiculous wages and we gave Juve 90m, he'd still laugh in our face.

Off the top of my head Utd signed Di Maria without the CL. City signed Toure and Silva without CL. Chelsea signed David Luiz and Kante without CL. We've made more money than any club in the world from player sales, so we have the money.. the owners just aren't willing to spend

• Upvote 1

Off the top of my head Utd signed Di Maria without the CL. City signed Toure and Silva without CL. Chelsea signed David Luiz and Kante without CL. We've made more money than any club in the world from player sales, so we have the money.. the owners just aren't willing to spend

Chelsea won the title two years earlier, United are one of the biggest clubs in the world and Man City are bankrolled by a royal family. These situations aren't comparable to ours as we've been shit for almost a decade, we've seen our status as a club dwindle and we don't have a billion pounds to build a team. We need Champions League football to attract big players, it's that simple. 

So you're saying the owners should go over Klopps' head and buy players he doesnt want just so we can say we spent £40m - £50m on a player or players?

I seem to recall us spending £35m on carroll, £20m on downing, £20m on markovic, £18m on Sakho, £29m on Firmino, £32m on Benteke, £25m on Wijnaldum, £30m on Mane etc. How much did lovren cost, £20m?

So you're saying the owners should go over Klopps' head and buy players he doesnt want just so we can say we spent £40m - £50m on a player or players?

I seem to recall us spending £35m on carroll, £20m on downing, £20m on markovic, £18m on Sakho, £29m on Firmino, £32m on Benteke, £25m on Wijnaldum, £30m on Mane etc.

No, I'm saying missing out on the CL should be a reason to invest more money, as opposed to an excuse not to spend.

Chelsea won the title two years earlier, United are one of the biggest clubs in the world and Man City are bankrolled by a royal family. These situations aren't comparable to ours as we've been shit for almost a decade, we've seen our status as a club dwindle and we don't have a billion pounds to build a team. We need Champions League football to attract big players, it's that simple. 

I think the amount of pull we have - to a 20 year old player - is vastly overrated by us.  We probably have no more than Spurs if truth be told, possibly less, and certainly less than Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea.  To a young player, our history is ancient, and has no relevance to football today.  It's like me thinking about what relevance a club's success in the 1950s would have in the 1970s.  I can just about remember back to the 70s - and the answer would be 'fuck all'.  

Plus, we have no demonstrable ambition over the past decade.  We have Klopp, who must have some pull, but that won't beat a big contract and the chance to play with big names and play regularly in the CL.

• Upvote 1

No, I'm saying missing out on the CL should be a reason to invest more money, as opposed to an excuse not to spend.

So your beef is the fact that the owners have stopped selling our players for peanuts and got a proper valuation for them because you say they have a profit and havent spent. Yet, all those players I mentioned have cost at least £20m (except sakho).

I think the amount of pull we have - to a 20 year old player - is vastly overrated by us. We probably have no more than Spurs if truth be told, possibly less, and certainly less than Arsenal, City, United, Chelsea. To a young player, our history is ancient, and has no relevance to football today. It's like me thinking about what relevance a club's success in the 1950s would have in the 1970s. I can just about remember back to the 70s - and the answer would be 'fuck all'.

Plus, we have no demonstrable ambition over the past decade. We have Klopp, who must have some pull, but that won't beat a big contract and the chance to play with big names and play regularly in the CL.

Agreed. Hence we need to spend money, like City, United and Chelsea do.