You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Upcoming Games

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Nice- is there a release date yet? If it's early next year, it'd tie in as I'm due a new PC.

The other day I used a piece of software to help determine the power of my PC. It have me loads of stats and at the end I'm absolutely clueless whether my PC is decent or not. What's the point in that?

3 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

The other day I used a piece of software to help determine the power of my PC. It have me loads of stats and at the end I'm absolutely clueless whether my PC is decent or not. What's the point in that?

What was the program? I used to run 3D Mark a while back to benchmark my graphics card, but anything above a 960 these days should run most games fine at 1080P.

What was the program? I used to run 3D Mark a while back to benchmark my graphics card, but anything above a 960 these days should run most games fine at 1080P.

It's called Unigine Heaven... 

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-unigine-heaven-benchmark.html

Unigine Heaven Benchmark

Heaven is a DirectX 11 benchmark based on the Unigine engine, one of the first game engines to take full advantage of DirectX 11. In Heaven, you will get to explore a mythical village floating in the cloudy sky that is highly detailed and realistic through the use of dynamic tessellation, compute shaders, and shader model 5.0. Running Heaven will give you a good idea of how your PC will be able to handle next generation DirectX 11 based PC games that make use of tessellation to make characters and objects more realistic and life like. But Heaven isn’t only a benchmark. You can use it to see the additional detail tessellation will add to next generation games. After you run the benchmark, make sure that you go into free camera mode and explore the village - toggling the F2 (wireframe) and F3 (tessellation on/off) keys on things like the cobblestone steps, tiled roofs, and the dragon to see how they look with and without tessellation. Features: • Support of DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.0 • Comprehensive use of tessellation technology • Advanced SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) • Volumetric cumulonimbus clouds generated by a physically accurate algorithm • Simulation of changing light conditions • Dynamic sky with light scattering • Interactive experience with fly/walk-through modes

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It's called Unigine Heaven... 

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-unigine-heaven-benchmark.html

Unigine Heaven Benchmark

Heaven is a DirectX 11 benchmark based on the Unigine engine, one of the first game engines to take full advantage of DirectX 11. In Heaven, you will get to explore a mythical village floating in the cloudy sky that is highly detailed and realistic through the use of dynamic tessellation, compute shaders, and shader model 5.0. Running Heaven will give you a good idea of how your PC will be able to handle next generation DirectX 11 based PC games that make use of tessellation to make characters and objects more realistic and life like. But Heaven isn’t only a benchmark. You can use it to see the additional detail tessellation will add to next generation games. After you run the benchmark, make sure that you go into free camera mode and explore the village - toggling the F2 (wireframe) and F3 (tessellation on/off) keys on things like the cobblestone steps, tiled roofs, and the dragon to see how they look with and without tessellation. Features: • Support of DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.0 • Comprehensive use of tessellation technology • Advanced SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) • Volumetric cumulonimbus clouds generated by a physically accurate algorithm • Simulation of changing light conditions • Dynamic sky with light scattering • Interactive experience with fly/walk-through modes

I ran it in benchmark mode and got this, so yeah pretty useless for gauging how it'll do with actual games, especially as it's 7 years old now-

image.png

I re-ran it on the same settings as you. I'd have thought your 1060 would be pretty much the same as my 970, and your processor's certainly better, so not sure why you're getting a lower score. I've got 16 gigs of RAM, but unless you had 4 gigs or less, that shouldn't make much difference. Did you have something else running at the same time?

image.png

I re-ran it on the same settings as you. I'd have thought your 1060 would be pretty much the same as my 970, and your processor's certainly better, so not sure why you're getting a lower score. I've got 16 gigs of RAM, but unless you had 4 gigs or less, that shouldn't make much difference. Did you have something else running at the same time?

image.png

I had Firefox running with a number of windows open, one of which was streaming BBC Radio 6. Possibly that impacted it. I ran it again with no browser open, I also ran two pieces of software first...

...Smart Game Booster 4.5 which when you press 'Boost' stops all non-essential services and clears memory for performance....

Capture2.PNG

...MSI Afterburner which allows you to overclock your system...

Capture.PNG

Then I ran the benchmark again and first of all the animation was locked pretty much solid at 60FPS, whereas before it was up and down like a yo-yo. The results are here...

Capture3.PNG

Although the overall performance level is lower than yours with this, it might be more consistent with the different scenery so MSI seems to have made the system able to cope with both more and less at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Pretty much the same as before. Strange, you should be getting 20 percent more performance than me with your system. Are your nVidia drivers up to date?

All drivers seem to be up to date.

23 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not sure then. To be honest, if you're getting decent results in actual games, then you can just ignore a synthetic benchmark.

I don't know if the PC has to work harder depending on the size of the display. My pc is connected to a 43" 4k TV. 

Just now, Mudface said:

Shouldn't do, you're running at 1080P resolution, so you've got the same amount of pixels to push around. 

I think there might be something wrong with the way it was built. I recently tried to clean install windows 10 (it came pre-installed) and it failed to install, something to do with not being able to identify the system Drive. When I looked into the error, a possible cause was the way the hard drives were connected that windows could not fully identify the drives. Mystery. 

2 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I think there might be something wrong with the way it was built. I recently tried to clean install windows 10 (it came pre-installed) and it failed to install, something to do with not being able to identify the system Drive. When I looked into the error, a possible cause was the way the hard drives were connected that windows could not fully identify the drives. Mystery. 

It is a bit. I'll have a look at the games I've got installed and see if any of them have benchmarks- from memory, Thief and some of the Total War games do, but I've uninstalled them. Doom 2016 might have one though.

Edit- it doesn't, that's a bit shit.

• 1 month later...

I pre-ordered the fucking thing yesterday on GOG. I messaged them asking for refund to GOG wallet, Outer Worlds was released the other day on there and Control Ultimate Edition is also there too (and the Cyberpunk money would cover both.) Would rather be playing one or both of them instead of wondering if there's yet another Cyberpunk delay incoming until after Christmas or something.