You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Forced deportations

magicrat

I think many people have reservations about arranged marriages and the practice of shipping in brides to order,

The deportation of long term residents with families here that fall fowl of the little understood rules on residency appalls me .

Did anyone realise that even EU nationals among other things have to have private health cover to qualify. I just thought we all had rights to healthcare across the EU .  It also begs the question as to why these rules were not applied by May before the referendum . It would seem the tools were there all along to curb numbers coming in and ensure the NHS was not abused, Two pillars of the case Leavers were making , The more that the curtain on Brexit is drawn the bigger crock of shit it appears and its the biggest scam ever pulled on the British electorate.

One of the women I work with that came to Sevilla at the same time as me was telling me yesterday several of the foreign teachers at her school back in Edinburgh have all been informed that they're being fucked off.

Sevilla? You kept that quiet!

Its never too late... Ive been working with a guy almost ten years older than you whose parents have just arranged his second marriage - this guy has lived and worked in the uk and the us for 20 years, and hes marrying a women hes met three times. His parents arranged his first marriage too.

My parents hadn't even met when they got married. 3 is practically a home run.

yes, I think he's being extra careful after the first go. Belt and braces, or in his case, sarong and trousers.

Haha. I think the visits are more to show the authorities that there's some kind of relationship and you're not providing a visa service to the overseas based person. His bride-to-be won't be heading over straight away anyway, she'll have to pass quite a few stringent tests over in India first. I've known people whose partners have failed and not been allowed to come over. You can't even bribe the authorities now.

Haha. I think the visits are more to show the authorities that there's some kind of relationship and you're not providing a visa service to the overseas based person. His bride-to-be won't be heading over straight away anyway, she'll have to pass quite a few stringent tests over in India first. I've known people whose partners have failed and not been allowed to come over. You can't even bribe the authorities now.

as far as I'm aware, she's not qualified to do anything much over here - he doesn't even know how good she is in the sack, and won't until its too late. 

Am I racist if I think she shouldn't be allowed to come over at all?

Probably.  But then again, I don't believe she should be allowed to come over at all, unless the husband is prepared to guarantee her bed board and healthcare for 10 years.  

actually, I don't believe she should be able to come into the country at all unless she can prove that she can contribute to the economy.  

Am I racist if I think she shouldn't be allowed to come over at all?

I'll let you break the news to Remmie.

Probably. But then again, I don't believe she should be allowed to come over at all, unless the husband is prepared to guarantee her bed board and healthcare for 10 years.

actually, I don't believe she should be able to come into the country at all unless she can prove that she can contribute to the economy.

Hey, woah. We can't have foreigners coming over here and taking jobs off qualified people like me.

I'll let you break the news to Remmie.

Hey, woah. We can't have foreigners coming over here and taking jobs off qualified people like me.

Hold on, I'm talking about a bloke who has met a woman 3 times wanting her to come in and get citizenship because his mum and dad (who've already failed once) think they'll eventually fall in love. Completely different to Remmie's story and comparing them is bollocks.

Hold on, I'm talking about a bloke who has met a woman 3 times wanting her to come in and get citizenship because his mum and dad (who've already failed once) think they'll eventually fall in love. Completely different to Remmie's story and comparing them is bollocks.

they probably don't think they'll fall in love.  They're thinking of the wonga and the reflected glory. 

Perhaps you're right; the more general point to make is we should not allow the immigration process to be played by cultural or financial chicanery of any sort.  I'm all in favour of a points based system for immigration, but forced deportation of those who may have for 20 years made their lives here is cruel and unwarranted.  

i would expect a country to allow me in only if I had the means to support myself and I could contribute to the country in some positive way.  That's why I'm still here.