You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Forced deportations

magicrat

I thought this growing issue deserved a new thread,

This made the mainstream news today but there are other example of long term settled residents being bundled off and deported before they get access to legal representation, This example is horrific but Theresa May has gone full Trump already, She also intends to end free movement from the EU the day she triggers A50 whether its legal or not .Firms will to advise their EU employees to take proof of residence and employment if they leave the country,

This a beyond unacceptable in any civilised society

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39099574

Woman sent back to Singapore despite 27-year marriage
  • 43 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the sectionUK
_93936908_dungavelirene.jpgImage captionMrs Clennell has been married for 27 years and has two sons and a granddaughter in the UK.

A woman married to a British man for 27 years has been sent back to Singapore.

Irene Clennell was being held in a Scottish detention centre, but told the BBC she has been removed to her country of origin without warning.

She had been living near Durham with her husband, and has two British sons, as well as a granddaughter, in the UK.

Periods spent abroad caring for her parents are thought to have invalidated her residential status. The Home Office does not comment on individual cases.

Mrs Clennell told the BBC she was put in a van and taken to the airport from the Dungavel Detention Centre in South Lanarkshire on Saturday.

She had been held at the facility since the start of February.

She told the BBC she was unable to contact her lawyer and did not have the chance to get any clothes from her home.

Mrs Clennell, who had been living in Chester-le-Street, was given indefinite leave to remain in the UK after her marriage.

She says she has made repeated attempts - both in Singapore and in the UK - to re-apply for permission to live with her husband.

This sort thing is not really surprising a good percentage of the population either dont vote or are turkeys voting for christmas. If there were plenty of jobs to go around then there wouldnt be an issue with kicking people out as they'd seamlessly slot in,like post WW2 immigrants,but when you cut everything to the bone and people cannot get jobs(not the case her of course,but more generally) the immigrants or brown people really,are one of the easiest targets. Welcome to Brexit and the new fascist Britain.

• Upvote 1

This sort thing is not really surprising a good percentage of the population either dont vote or are turkeys voting for christmas. If there were plenty of jobs to go around then there wouldnt be an issue with kicking people out as they'd seamlessly slot in,like post WW2 immigrants,but when you cut everything to the bone and people cannot get jobs(not the case her of course,but more generally) the immigrants or brown people really,are one of the easiest targets. Welcome to Brexit and the new fascist Britain.

People in general just don't know what is going on, I think most people if they read this story would be surprised and angry,  She is not the only one and cases like these need to highlighted and more widely spread through social media. Calling them turkeys ( which I am find of doing myself by the way) doesn't help, People have their own lives and struggles to deal with a political awareness is way down the list for most 

We all need to spread the word as best we can on the fundamental changes we are facing to our democracy, It will be free speech next I have no doubt, 

People in general just don't know what is going on, I think most people if they read this story would be surprised and angry, She is not the only one and cases like these need to highlighted and more widely spread through social media. Calling them turkeys ( which I am find of doing myself by the way) doesn't help, People have their own lives and struggles to deal with a political awareness is way down the list for most

We all need to spread the word as best we can on the fundamental changes we are facing to our democracy, It will be free speech next I have no doubt,

If not turkeys,then what else?

Baffling that if she's married and has lived here for so long. 

There's all sorts of heinous shit going on, my mum has just been referred the mental health team because her husband was found fit for work despite being signed off with various problems since the mid-90s and she's stressed to high heaven. Services to provide advice and support in these cases have been cut to the bone too. For the people at 'the bottom' it's just pure sinking sand now. 

Nobody really cares though, they may get worked up about a story like this or about a picture of a kid dead on a beach - briefly - but as a rule they don't. Not sure why, I think the valuing of compassion has been eroded, I think the Katy Hopkins's and Farage's of this world have had a toxic impact, as has social media and as has the current climate of fear that's making everyone look out for themselves.

Everyone looks out for number one now, not out of some 80s 'I wanna get rich' style ambition, but more the perpetual fear of ending up on te streets. Fear makes us malleable.

Austerity always reminds me of the line from Flash Gordon where Ming offers him the chance to rule Earth: 'They won't be quite the Earthlings you remember, let's just say they'll be satisfied with less'.

I'm not defending the government on this, but the headlines on this are a bit misleading.

If you dig into this a bit deeper, you find that she arrived in 1988, left in 92. Her husband and kids came back in 1998 but she didn't come back until 2013. So she spent 4 years here from 88 to 92 and 4 more from 2013.

Not the 27 years of happy residence by her husband's side that the headlines/articles suggest. She's spent significantly more time outside the UK than in it since 1988.

I'm all for defending a noble cause but rules is rules.....

On the other hand, the Home Office decision to deport Eritreans based on one unreliable intelligence report which runs contrary to most other reports and their recent policy instruction/guidance to deport Afghanistan nationals who are claiming to be gay back to Kabul on the basis that they can just pretend to be straight/only be open about their sexuality in private is a bit of a worrying development...

Seems a bit odd to apply some legislation that cam in during 2012 to a case where someone has lived here for so long.

It is right to prevent families coming over to live with someone earning less than £19K.  They're not being deprived of family life as they can return to their country.

These are exceptional circumstances.  He's ill and probably not working.  She returned for extended periods to look after her parents.

They're applying the letter of the law, rather than the spirit.

Shameful country to live in at the moment

The infuriating thing with the people trotting the anti immigration line is as soon as they have a face or its someone they know, they change their tune. Most people have no idea how hard it is to get a visa for the UK if you are non-Eu. There are a couple ukip types at work and my friend's parents trotting the send them home line.

As soon as they hear about the struggles me and my Ukrainian wife had getting her visa they are outraged on our behalf. "She wants to work" "but you are married, what's the problem"

The one guy on fb that really gets me is totally about brexit and has an American wife, went through everything we did plus paying the NHS surcharge and still supports brexit and ukip. He works in the fucking NHS as well.

• Upvote 1

The infuriating thing with the people trotting the anti immigration line is as soon as they have a face or its someone they know, they change their tune. Most people have no idea how hard it is to get a visa for the UK if you are non-Eu. There are a couple ukip types at work and my friend's parents trotting the send them home line.

As soon as they hear about the struggles me and my Ukrainian wife had getting her visa they are outraged on our behalf. "She wants to work" "but you are married, what's the problem"

The one guy on fb that really gets me is totally about brexit and has an American wife, went through everything we did plus paying the NHS surcharge and still supports brexit and ukip. He works in the fucking NHS as well.

Their information diet is almost exclusively bullshit. When faced with reality they remember, briefly, that they're a human.

• Upvote 1

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exceptional-student-faces-deportation-three-155607610.html

An “exceptionally able” engineering student is set to be deported with just three months left of her degree.

Shiromini Satkunarajah, a student at Bangor University, was arrested on Tuesday and taken to Yarl’s Wood Detention Centre.

The Home Office have since informed Ms Satkunarajah she will be sent back to her birthplace, Sri Lanka, on 28 February.

Ms Satkunarajah has lived in the UK since she was 12 years old, when her parents fled the Sri Lankan Civil War. She was originally a dependant on her father’s student visa, but was given leave to complete her secondary education in the UK when he died in 2011.

She was informed by the Home Office this week that her application for a full student visa had been denied.

Iestyn Pierce, Bangor’s head of electrical engineering, described Ms Satkunarajah as “exceptionally able and diligent”.

“I have no doubt that Shiromini would achieve first-class honours,” he said.

A relative of Ms Satkunarajah told The Independent that she was most concerned about being unable to complete her education.

“Shiromini came here when she was 12. Her whole life is here, all of her friends and family are here. She has no one in Sri Lanka, we’re a small family. She won’t be able to continue with her education.”

“Our family are devastated. My mum’s just been crying all the time.”

At the time of writing, a Change.org petition calling on Home Secretary Amber Rudd to grant Shiromini leave to remain had gathered 16,000 signatures. The campaign group 'Unis Resist Border Control' told The Independent Ms Shivani Jegarajah from Justitia Chambers would be lodging a judicial review to stop Tuesday's impending removal from taking place.

Some of the deportation cases are stupid and should rightly be publicised and fought against.  I have to say that I'm against the practice of families from the Indian subcontinent whoring their UK-based children to the highest bidder in whichever country they're from in order to feather their own nest, with the consequence that often an unqualified and undeserving oik of either sex pitches up here after having gone through an arranged marriage.  

I am in favour of immigration - even in an increase in it from current levels; it's absolutely necessary if this country is to function properly.  We should however be able to identify those who are likely to contribute to what used to be called society and make it easier for them to come in, while stopping the pernicious abuses of the system such as the one I've described above, which only serves to make unscrupulous parents (often living in another country) rich.  

Some of the deportation cases are stupid and should rightly be publicised and fought against. I have to say that I'm against the practice of families from the Indian subcontinent whoring their UK-based children to the highest bidder in whichever country they're from in order to feather their own nest, with the consequence that often an unqualified and undeserving oik of either sex pitches up here after having gone through an arranged marriage.

I am in favour of immigration - even in an increase in it from current levels; it's absolutely necessary if this country is to function properly. We should however be able to identify those who are likely to contribute to what used to be called society and make it easier for them to come in, while stopping the pernicious abuses of the system such as the one I've described above, which only serves to make unscrupulous parents (often living in another country) rich.

That's a new type of sham marriage I've never heard of. You sure you're not mistaking dowries here for someone trying to blah a visa?

That's a new type of sham marriage I've never heard of. You sure you're not mistaking dowries here for someone trying to blah a visa?

I'm talking about dowries, and the pressure put on children by parents looking to feather nests.  Waving the possibility of a Western passport around attracts big dosh. 

Some of the deportation cases are stupid and should rightly be publicised and fought against.  I have to say that I'm against the practice of families from the Indian subcontinent whoring their UK-based children to the highest bidder in whichever country they're from in order to feather their own nest, with the consequence that often an unqualified and undeserving oik of either sex pitches up here after having gone through an arranged marriage.  

I am in favour of immigration - even in an increase in it from current levels; it's absolutely necessary if this country is to function properly.  We should however be able to identify those who are likely to contribute to what used to be called society and make it easier for them to come in, while stopping the pernicious abuses of the system such as the one I've described above, which only serves to make unscrupulous parents (often living in another country) rich.

Racist!

I'm talking about dowries, and the pressure put on children by parents looking to feather nests. Waving the possibility of a Western passport around attracts big dosh.

FFS! I missed out. Sorry String but I might just see if I can get on this gravy train. However I might be scraping the barrel being a 40 year old divorced father of one.

The Sri Lankan students deportation has been scrapped.

... for now.

Not getting deported today!

UpmEFqqGoABqOmj-128x128-noPad.jpg?148794
shiromini satkunarajah
United Kingdom

28 FEB 2017 — Hi everyone,

My mother and I are very happy to have been released and you all know it is only because of everyone’s support, most importantly Hywel Williams MP. Thanks to everyone who raised awareness by signing and sharing the petition. 

I am still overwhelmed with the help and support I am getting.

I will be grateful forever. I can’t wait to get back to university and continue with my studies.

Please note that I haven't been granted leave to remain and solicitors are on board to try and sort it out.

Thanks again.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exceptional-student-faces-deportation-three-155607610.html

An “exceptionally able” engineering student is set to be deported with just three months left of her degree.

Shiromini Satkunarajah, a student at Bangor University, was arrested on Tuesday and taken to Yarl’s Wood Detention Centre.

The Home Office have since informed Ms Satkunarajah she will be sent back to her birthplace, Sri Lanka, on 28 February.

Ms Satkunarajah has lived in the UK since she was 12 years old, when her parents fled the Sri Lankan Civil War. She was originally a dependant on her father’s student visa, but was given leave to complete her secondary education in the UK when he died in 2011.

She was informed by the Home Office this week that her application for a full student visa had been denied.

Iestyn Pierce, Bangor’s head of electrical engineering, described Ms Satkunarajah as “exceptionally able and diligent”.

“I have no doubt that Shiromini would achieve first-class honours,” he said.

A relative of Ms Satkunarajah told The Independent that she was most concerned about being unable to complete her education.

“Shiromini came here when she was 12. Her whole life is here, all of her friends and family are here. She has no one in Sri Lanka, we’re a small family. She won’t be able to continue with her education.”

“Our family are devastated. My mum’s just been crying all the time.”

At the time of writing, a Change.org petition calling on Home Secretary Amber Rudd to grant Shiromini leave to remain had gathered 16,000 signatures. The campaign group 'Unis Resist Border Control' told The Independent Ms Shivani Jegarajah from Justitia Chambers would be lodging a judicial review to stop Tuesday's impending removal from taking place.

Can someone remind me why I am supposed to be proud to be British?

Fucking shameful shit.

FFS! I missed out. Sorry String but I might just see if I can get on this gravy train. However I might be scraping the barrel being a 40 year old divorced father of one.

Its never too late... Ive been working with a guy almost ten years older than you whose parents have just arranged his second marriage - this guy has lived and worked in the uk and the us for 20 years, and hes marrying a women hes met three times. His parents arranged his first marriage too.