You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You are the President of a Football Club...

3 Stacks

I saw this on a French football show and thought this would be fun.

You're the President of a football club and you need a manager. You make a 15 person shortlist and separate them into 3 tiers. The question is: who would be on your list and what would your tiers look like? You don't have to rank them 1-15, just rank them in 3 tiers.

So this is basically a ranking of managers but keep in mind that you're the President of a football club so the managers temperament, ability to stay at the club for the long-term and age/potential are important considerations.

Also name: The first name that misses out, someone that you really like as a manager but that you would leave out of your list for whatever reason and an older manager who was great in his day and is still active but who you wouldn't consider in the present day. You can only pick active managers (who are employed or looking for employment).

This would be my list.

Tier 1:

-Guardiola

-Ancelotti

-Simeone

-Conte

-Allegri

Tier 2:

-Zidane

-Klopp

-Sampaoli

-Emery

-Low

Tier 3:

-Mourinho

-Pochettino

-Gallardo

-Tuchel

-Favre

First one who misses out: Jardim

Manager I really like but that I wouldn't consider: Bielsa. Rafa would also be in this category.

Older manager I wouldn't consider: Wenger

I saw this on a French football show and thought this would be fun.

You're the President of a football club and you need a manager. You make a 15 person shortlist and separate them into 3 tiers. The question is: who would be on your list and what would your tiers look like? You don't have to rank them 1-15, just rank them in 3 tiers.

So this is basically a ranking of managers but keep in mind that you're the President of a football club so the managers temperament, ability to stay at the club for the long-term and age/potential are important considerations.

Also name: The first name that misses out, someone that you really like as a manager but that you would leave out of your list for whatever reason and an older manager who was great in his day and is still active but who you wouldn't consider in the present day. You can only pick active managers (who are employed or looking for employment).

This would be my list.

Tier 1:

-Guardiola

-Ancelotti

-Simeone

-Conte

-Allegri

Tier 2:

-Zidane

-Klopp

-Sampaoli

-Emery

-Low

Tier 3:

-Mourinho

-Pochettino

-Gallardo

-Tuchel

-Favre

Manager I really like but that I wouldn't consider: Bielsa. Rafa would also be in this category.

I didn't get past the premise this could be fun

Is Jurgen Klopp the answer ?

This would be my list.

Tier 1:

-Guardiola

-Ancelotti

-Simeone

-Conte

-Allegri

Tier 2:

-Zidane

-Klopp

-Sampaoli

-Emery

-Low

Tier 3:

-Mourinho

-Pochettino

-Gallardo

-Tuchel

-Favre

Klopp replaces Allegri in Tier 1.  Pochettino replaces Zidane in Tier 2.  Might consider moving Tuchel up to Tier 2 as well, but I can't say for sure who he'd replace.

Wouldn't have Zidane in the list at all, he's only managed at one club and has a massive money advantage.  Doesn't mean he's rubbish, he's clearly not, but he has a LOT to prove before I'd have him at a random club over the likes of Pochettino or even Benitez.

I don't rate Tuchel. He's took over a team with Hummels, Reus, Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and won nothing. He's now got top class players like Dembele, Guerreiro and Weigl and he still can't catch Leipzig in the league. 

He's the German Rodgers.

None of those three are 'top class'. Real promising, but not quite there yet.

A lot depends on which club.  If, for example, you're Southampton, you wouldn't touch Maureen with a shitty stick.

This. Depending on your ambition and your budget. If you want to win trophies right now and you have shit loads of cash, then Mourinho would be number one on your list. If you're an investor trying to sell the club for profit in the foreseeable future, then you'd have Klopp, as he would have you challenging without spending too much cash.

I don't rate Tuchel. He's took over a team with Hummels, Reus, Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan and won nothing. He's now got top class players like Dembele, Guerreiro and Weigl and he still can't catch Leipzig in the league.

He's the German Rodgers.

I don't disagree with this.

I think Tuchel is usually closer to the sack than winning a trophy in any given season. I think his struggles are enhancing Klopp's reputation for breaking Bayern's stranglehold by the minute.

Got to say though,that whoever is in charge of RB Leipzig's recruitment has done a magnificent job. There is barely a recognisable name in the whole squad and they are challenging for an automatic CL place in their first season in the top division. Despite the hatred of the 'franchise' its still one hell of an achievement and one FSG may be looking to copy.