You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester (A) - 8pm, 27/02/17 - Huzzah Tarquin, let's go orf for a spot of foxhunting harrumph!

Trumo

Not sure why people think we need a CB to "play alongside" Matip; he has been poor since back from injury. However, I believe he and Lovren can make a decent partnership if only they can get a few games together.

We have too many "flair" players. Great when things are going well but lacking when we need to dig in and show a bit of character. Henderson is far better than many on here suggest and should play in a two in front of the back four. We need a Matic type alongside him. Win the ball and keep it simple.

We can then play 3 of Mane, Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana in front with an out and out striker ahead. Aubemayang may be a dream but he'd fit the bill perfectly.

Clyne is a good option as a defensive full back and can offer some pace going forward. But we need a proper left back.

And then we need a bench. I still think Origi will develop but there was nothing else available to us yesterday. Prob Europa next season but we need some more bodies.

Apparently we've won 5 and drawn 5 of the 10 league games Matip & Lovren have started, and the 5 draws included Chelsea, Spurs and ManU. The issue is that they've both missed too many games and the back-ups are just not good enough.

Massive indictment on the management that we've got two, seriously declining, midfielders in defence last night, and having to throw on Moreno (FFS!) and Woodburn (fantastic potential, but still a lightweight 17yr old) to try to rescue a game.

Some basic things that could help us beat these deep lying teams, play 2 proper CBs as CBs, play a left footer at leftback, essential to pull their defenders out of position. Most goals against these sort of sides are scored from cutbacks and second balls after crosses, it's nigh on impossible to play through the middle of them. Play an actual fucking CF, Firmino is woeful against these type of sides, only solution I can think of for the remainder of the season is to revert to how we lined up last season, 2 Cms Henderson and one of Wijnaldum or Lallana, Phil on the left and Mane on the right with Firmino off either origi or Sturridge. It's not ideal but that's thanks to our fucking penny pinching and utter arrogance/ incompetence in the transfer market.

Next season, which I'm tired of saying. We need another CB, DM, LB, Winger and Striker at very bare minimum.

Agreed. Play Moreno at left back because he's left footed. Play Lovren and Matip central and when either of them are out play Klavan. Play Karius in goal because we've got nothing to lose by doing it. I'd play Milner where he wants to be played (centre midfield) because he's the only player that puts a shift in every single game. Play Sturridge up front and when he's injured play Origi. 

Stop playing Wijnaldum in away games, he's diabolical and strolls around the field doing nothing. Stop playing a high line and pressing away from home. Play that stuff at Anfield and sit deep away from home and use the pace of Sturridge and Mane to hit them on the counter. Play Firmino in Lallana's position or not at all. Common sense really - play players in their natural positions. 

• Upvote 5

Not for 70 grand a week, no. Top players will never be signed under these owners.

Simple as that really.

Agreed. Man City weren't a Champions League club when they were taken over but they were able to attract the likes of Toure and Aguero because they were willing to spend megabucks on their wages. That in turn ensures they won the league twice and, at worst, finish in the top 4 every single year. 

Why is this concept so hard for some to understand? If you're on the outside looking in then you have to cough up. As ever under FSG we try and cheat the system and fall flat on our fucking faces. 

• Upvote 1

Agreed. Play Moreno at left back because he's left footed. Play Lovren and Matip central and when either of them are out play Klavan. Play Karius in goal because we've got nothing to lose by doing it. I'd play Milner where he wants to be played (centre midfield) because he's the only player that puts a shift in every single game. Play Sturridge up front and when he's injured play Origi. 

Stop playing Wijnaldum in away games, he's diabolical and strolls around the field doing nothing. Stop playing a high line and pressing away from home. Play that stuff at Anfield and sit deep away from home and use the pace of Sturridge and Mane to hit them on the counter. Play Firmino in Lallana's position or not at all. Common sense really - play players in their natural positions.

Good post.

Gini was my MOTM Monday. He is similar to Hendo insofar as much of what he does is missed by many observers

It's not missed, it's just seen for what it is.  Largely inconsequential.  And in Henderson's case (the last few games excepted), the fear of taking responsibility is tangible. 

Henderson and company have been exposed for what they are time and time again this season.  The goals against column bears testimony to that.  

• Upvote 2

Gini was my MOTM Monday. He is similar to Hendo insofar as much of what he does is missed by many observers

Ah yes, the old 'only the perceptive and insightful few could ever decode the brilliance of Wijnaldum'.

Here is some perception and insight - he's bang average.

I'd rather we bought some player's whose brilliance was obvious, unmistakable and influential.

The goals against column is testimony to the way we play rather than specific individuals. And the average per game is worse when Hendo doesn't play than when he does.

These are one of the same thing, though, surely mate? The way we play is largely a consequence of the individuals playing.

I like Hendo, but I think he has only ever been brilliant as an attacking CM, supporting the second wave of attack. Had he been able to finish a bit better, he would have racked up 15 goals in our title challenge under Rodgers.

It's not missed, it's just seen for what it is. Largely inconsequential. And in Henderson's case (the last few games excepted), the fear of taking responsibility is tangible.

Henderson and company have been exposed for what they are time and time again this season. The goals against column bears testimony to that.

Henderson isn't a defensive midfielder and neither was Gerrard so playing 4123 with either of those 2 protecting the centre backs is the real culprit. Conceding 50 goals a season for 5 years in a row with 2 different managers who employed the same system for large portions of that is the proof.

Henderson is one of our best players. I get its difficult to swallow but he's a very good player having to do the work of 2 players in centre midfield when we have 7 players attacking.

We cannot continue to play like that with these players. We scored over 100 goals one season and still didn't win it because we let in 50.

• Upvote 1

Henderson isn't a defensive midfielder and neither was Gerrard so playing 4123 with either of those 2 protecting the centre backs is the real culprit. Conceding 50 goals a season for 5 years in a row with 2 different managers who employed the same system for large portions of that is the proof.

Henderson is one of our best players. I get its difficult to swallow but he's a very good player having to do the work of 2 players in centre midfield when we have 7 players attacking.

We cannot continue to play like that with these players. We scored over 100 goals one season and still didn't win it because we let in 50.

It's not difficult to swallow, Paco.  If he performs well, I'll praise him for it.  If he performs well for an extended period, I'll revise my opinion of him, because that would be the sensible thing to do.  At the moment, I think he's underwhelming, and that's putting it mildly.  When we bought him I thought he'd be miles better than he's turned out.  So I've already had to revise my opinion of him once, I have no fear about doing it again.  

Having said all of that, I don't think he's suited to be a player that sits at the base of the midfield, breaking up the opposition play and dictating the pace and shape of ours.  If he has a role to play that isn't going to expose all his weaknesses, it's as a water carrier, getting about the pitch and tidying up.  The role that Wijnaldum seems to be trying to do at the moment.  Henderson should never be the lead midfielder in any team.  He needs someone more decisive and influential to lean on.