You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Markovic

The-Sir

He was very highly rated when he was younger, and when we signed him I think we beat some decent competition to get him. Unfortunately he wasn't able to consistently show what we signed him for in the first place, then as Rodgers lost his way here Markovic was caught up in that playing full back, I seem to remember.

What now?

The most likely scenario is we sell in summer for a modest loss (probably not a loss on the books, given depreciation and contract length remaining). He has looked a bit brighter at Hull and that should mean there will be buyers. He's at least as good as Ibe, who went for £15M to a Prem team, and that's the sort of thing we should be looking for. If he goes overseas it will be for less.

The other possibility is keeping him. Not good enough for first team, but arguably good enough as a back up. However, when he was here he didn't make enough of a case for himself, and since things always move on I doubt he will be back permanently. You never say never, as if there are no acceptable offers we don't have to get rid, but in all likelihood we will move him on.

A small anecdotal thing, but I remember a story when we bought him, and on a flight he was in first class but the club official was in economy, and he insisted she took his seat in first class. Seems a decent character, but as a player he hasn't made enough of a case for us to keep him.

I don't get the lightweight thing. Some of the league's best players are very slight. Seems like a weird Merson-esque take to think that small players can't perform in the #BestLeagueInTheWorld.

It's not about being small or slight though it's about being soft. He actively avoids tackles.

• 6 months later...