You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Headphones

Allan

I picked up some of these cheap Tennmaks recently, and I have to say they're not bad for the price. A bit limited in terms of their ability to handle more expansive music, as you'd expect, but they do nicely for general rock genres and most importantly they're comfortable. I can't get on with most in-ears, so to find a cheap pair I can chuck in my pocket is great.

Yeah, they're very good, but unfortunately I never found them that comfortable. My E10s died and I tried a pair of E10c, but the inline remote is stupidly placed. It's too close to the ear, so you can't clip the cord in a way that stops it pulling downwards ever so slightly; I'd always end up with sound leakage in the left ear which was annoying. Sound quality was excellent at the price though.

Thats a great deal, I already have a pair in mind for next set have to build myself a new pc 1st though.

I listened to the H7, H8, and H9 in a B&O store and preferred the H7's, even though they don't have ANC. H9's are superior, but you would expect that for a £400+ headphones.

Good review and features here:

They look and sound so lush. Get them delivered on Monday and can't wait.

Picked up the H7's from the sorting office after work today.

Fucking hell. They are top notch in every sense from build to sound.

They are so luxurious. Anodised aluminium, soft lambskin earcups and cowhide leather. Better than the plastic shite you get with Bose and Beats for example.

Handles all genres effortlessly with clout, clarity and elegance.

Removable battery (20 hours) and swipe controls are a bonus.

The Beoplay app allows you customise the sound, but they sound perfect without it to be honest.

Yep beats generally have a terrible reputation within the headphone community, plastic, bloated / too much bass and made out of cheap materials. Some people like them but personally I dont understand why. Bose fair better due to the QC35/25 because their NC is excellent.

I really like my M2 for the same reasons, they just feel so premium. The funny thing is they actually feel more premium then my HD800, due to the leather and stainless steel. Nuts when a set of new hd800 would cost about £1k new. I bet its the case with the B&O too.

One I bough my 1st set of real quality headphones it set me off just not being satisfied. I went from a crappy steel series headset and samsung ear buds to a set of HD800 and Shure SE846 with in a year. I hear things in tracks I didnt have a clue where there previously.

If this is your 1st set of premium headpones and you dont have much high resolution music, grab yourself a tidal account for a free months trial, select hifi quality and see if you hear anything new. Its like rediscovering your music collection.

Yep beats generally have a terrible reputation within the headphone community, plastic, bloated / too much bass and made out of cheap materials. Some people like them but personally I dont understand why. Bose fair better due to the QC35/25 because their NC is excellent.

I really like my M2 for the same reasons, they just feel so premium. The funny thing is they actually feel more premium then my HD800, due to the leather and stainless steel. Nuts when a set of new hd800 would cost about £1k new. I bet its the case with the B&O too.

One I bough my 1st set of real quality headphones it set me off just not being satisfied. I went from a crappy steel series headset and samsung ear buds to a set of HD800 and Shure SE846 with in a year. I hear things in tracks I didnt have a clue where there previously.

If this is your 1st set of premium headpones and you dont have much high resolution music, grab yourself a tidal account for a free months trial, select hifi quality and see if you hear anything new. Its like rediscovering your music collection.

My friend just bought the AKG Y50BT's and they quite frankly blow the B&O's away for sound as he let me borrow them to compare.

Forgetting the fact that they are less than half the price of the B&O's in the first place, they are on ear compared to the over ears is remarkable in itself.

I never thought I'd say I'd prefer on ears headphones to over ears ones.

I plan to upgrade most of my music in any case to FLAC.

• Upvote 1

I'm still using Soundmagic E10s for in ear carry around in your pocket things. Very hard to beat for the price.

Yeah they are amazing, but ive been through about 4 pairs in a couple of years.

AKG 451's are the best "on ears" ive used for the price, just incredible.  

Whilst I dont know the model Shure make some fantastic products, have an excellent reputation and great support. They are very well reguarded by many audio enthusiasts. Besides its from amazon so you will have no problem sending them back if you dont like them.

I see they are listed as studio, so they should sound balanced across the frequencys, with nothing overly predominant.

I use these as my daily iem:

806_se846big8.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just had the Sennheiser Urbanite XL (over ears) wireless headphones delivered from Amazon for £124.97:

u_10137113.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QKJ3UA2

They sound superb.

Amazon are also selling Urbanite wired on ears for £59.97, which is a heck of a bargain. Might be of interest to some.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Urbanite-Headphones-iPhone-Devices/dp/B00M1TS67W

I personally prefer to buy bluetooth versions as they give you both options.

It doesn't make any sense to spend tons on headphones and then listen to mp3s over Bluetooth on then. You may as well get a £19.99 pair as the sound is that badly compromised anyway.

True to an extent but Qualcom AptX has been a real game changer. It still is a form of compression but produces much better results - can support up to 24 bit, cd quality is typically 16 bit. Ofc you have to have the right files to show it off.

It is pretty good and of you have an interest in this sort of stuff give it a demo with a nice flac in a department store. (Maybe changed but last I heared apple didnt support, this so an iphone may not be an ideal.)

Used a few things to test them out inc fiio x7 dap and they generally preform well.

I've spent months changing all my old CDs to FLAC files, but Micro SD cards are finally at a price where I reckon I can carry most of my music around with me without it costing a bomb. Bought a pair of Sennheiser 558s and early impressions are good. Probably need a little amp though, particularly as the Sony player I've got limits volume ridiculously, but that's for later.

Just had the Sennheiser Urbanite XL (over ears) wireless headphones delivered from Amazon for £124.97:

u_10137113.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QKJ3UA2

They sound superb.

Amazon are also selling Urbanite wired on ears for £59.97, which is a heck of a bargain. Might be of interest to some.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Urbanite-Headphones-iPhone-Devices/dp/B00M1TS67W

I personally prefer to buy bluetooth versions as they give you both options.

Thanks for the tip on the wired headphones, already have some Bluetooth ones so might be tempted with some wired ones that give good sound results.

I've spent months changing all my old CDs to FLAC files, but Micro SD cards are finally at a price where I reckon I can carry most of my music around with me without it costing a bomb. Bought a pair of Sennheiser 558s and early impressions are good. Probably need a little amp though, particularly as the Sony player I've got limits volume ridiculously, but that's for later.

Yeah EU volume limits are dumb audio players, due to headphone impedance. I am unclear of the rules but manufacturers sell legally in the eu without it, I mean you can buy amps which completely negates any rules. Companies like sony though are ultra strict though and apply it to their players also.

If you want a cheap player with no sound restrictions check out Fiio, they also make cheap amps.

Yeah EU volume limits are dumb audio players, due to headphone impedance. I am unclear of the rules but manufacturers sell legally in the eu without it, I mean you can buy amps which completely negates any rules. Companies like sony though are ultra strict though and apply it to their players also.

If you want a cheap player with no sound restrictions check out Fiio, they also make cheap amps.

Yeah, I was considering the Fiio X3, but I've had a few Sony players and I like the UI and most importantly the battery life. I don't tend to hit maximum volume much anyway. An amp will be something I look at in the future, I've been impressed with the portable DAC I've got for my phone.

I used to use a jds labs c5d, as amp/dac with phone was nice little unit. Dont use so much now due to the fiio x7 and keeping my phone charged.

If it was not season ticket time, I would love a chord mojo - amazing bit of kit.

• 2 months later...

Thinking of buying a cheapish pair of on ear, open back, wired headphones. Not bothered what they look like especially, basically to use with my iPod when out and about and maybe late night sessions at home.

Any recommendations ???

Been looking at some Grado SR 60/80s, any good ?

Price range