You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hull City 2 Liverpool 0 (Feb 4 2017)

tlw content

hullreport2.jpg

So much for the Chelsea game being the turning point then. If anything it merely emphasised what we already knew; it’s not the big teams we need to worry about. Hull joined Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton (twice) and Wolves on a list of shite teams to have beaten us this season. We haven’t lost to anyone in the top eleven, but that’s probably about to change fairly quickly as we’re in complete and utter freefall now. 

Worryingly, we’ve got no more straws left to clutch. Everything was meant to be ok when Coutinho came back, except it hasn’t made a difference as he’s been shite. Still, we’d be ok when Matip returned to shore up the defence, right? Wrong, he’s been shite too. It’s because Mané isn’t here, we’ll get back on track once he’s back. Yeah, guess we can cross that one off too. He was decent enough against Hull but that’s not enough to turn this sinking ship around. 

Klopp had virtually a full strength squad to choose from against Hull, yet it made fuck all difference. Why he started Can over Wijnaldum is anyone’s guess, but if we’re using that as the reason for the defeat then we’re clutching at the thinnest of straws.  

It goes way beyond all of that for me now, and I’m not buying that our sudden decline into shitness is because teams have ‘found us out’ either. It was the easy conclusion to jump to initially, but when you actually stop and think about it, it’s fucking bollocks. Yeah, every team we face now is doing a similar thing, but it’s not like they’ve reinvented the wheel. They’re doing the exact same thing shit teams have ALWAYS done. Men behind the ball, force us wide to prevent us getting through the middle, and wait for a mistake/set-piece/counter attack. 

There’s nothing new here folks, and how can you explain that this very same group of players were demolishing teams who set up like that against us only a few months ago? The opposition haven’t changed, we have. I no longer believe it’s tactical either, at least not entirely anyway. The players know how to beat teams who play like that because they’ve done it easily enough before, and the idea that a manager as successful as Klopp doesn’t know how to break down the most basic of defensive approaches is ridiculous. He knows how to do it and you can be sure they’ve been working on it in training all season.

So what’s going wrong then? 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

• Upvote 3

Good report. Summed everything up perfectly. Can't believe how dramatically things have fallen apart since that win over City on New Year's Eve. It's been like being made to watch the second half of that Europa League final for an entire month.

Have a lot of sympathy for Atlanta Falcons fans after the way their team completely choked in the Superbowl. They apparently have a lot of previous form for getting their fans hopes up and then spectacularly blowing it just like modern day Liverpool.

Dave that should be printed and handed out to every player and member of staff at the club. Its absolutely spot on. They are nice lads, but who wants that? Where are the snide fukers that want/need to win at any cost every time, the pantomime villain all the other fans hate. Other fans don't hate any of our players, that's a very bad sign in my book. They are good 5 a side players as Souness might say ( with contempt ) but time and time again when the pressure is on they wilt. One bad result and usually means its a 6 week plus downward spiral. The thing is its not just this group of players as its been happening since before a lot of them joined. Why that is I don't know..... but its a fact that's hard to deny.

• Upvote 1

Nails it. I'm still flying into a temper 24 hours later (especially at that bitch who ran a red light at Churchtown earlier on, stopping me turning right and leaving me stranded in the middle of the junction, fucking cow!).

It's been the perfect storm, starting with Lallana getting injured (for England, of course), Matip in and out, FIFA being FIFA, Coutinho injured, shitty referees, Mane to AFCON, Sakho's fuck up from last year being compounded..... And how many times have you checked the teamsheet to find someone missing unexpectedly (is that 3 times for Lovren this season?).And whatever happened to Grujic?! My biggest fear was that the cavalry was on its way, but would be arriving too late, and so it's proved. And in the meantime, everyone's (in particular Lallana and Firmino) form has turned to shit. Some of this could have been avoided with a couple of extra signings in the summer, or January...... can't believe we couldn't find a better left back than Moreno to give Milner a rest or some competition (we seem to come up against one most weeks!)

I'd keep most of this current lot - they did get us to the toop of the league after all. But we need five players who are as good or better than the current incumbents, and amongst those we need a at least couple of warriors, and someone with a bit of presence/physicality in the opposition box. It's not that long ago that we had Carra, Stevie, Luis and Dirk, none of whom would go down without a fight.

• Upvote 1

It's not that long ago that we had Carra, Stevie, Luis and Dirk, none of whom would go down without a fight.

Someone brought up recently us beating Inter in 08 as an example of bouncing back and I posted the side that won that game:

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Aurelio, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas (Crouch 64), Babel (Pennant 72), Kuyt, Torres.

Subs Not Used: Itandje, Riise, Benayoun, Alonso, Arbeloa.

Proper footballers with a proper big-time mentality.  Aside from flakes like Babel, Pennant and Itandje and the permacrock Aurelio (who was a decent player), there's bottle and experience throughout that whole squad, leaders all over the pitch.  Our current captain wouldn't even get on that bench.

Probably worth sticking this old quote in.

Chile lost in Montevideo despite having 73% possession in the match.

When that stat was posed to Sampaoli after the game, he responded with a brilliant quip comparing football to trying to bed a woman in a bar:

One night, I went to a bar, I was with a woman. We talked all night. We laughed, we flirted, I paid for several drinks of hers.

At around 5am, a guy came in, grabbed her by the arm and took her to the bathroom. He made love to her and she left with him. That doesn’t matter, because I had most of the possession on that night.

• Upvote 2

That team that the reaper just posted,would piss all over today's mob.The bar got lowered when Beaky came in and I don't see anyway back.We may have spent money but you don't improve by selling your best players.If we'd have had a top manager with a good budget,competing with the best,no way would our best players have wanted out.If we don't watch it Mr Klopp will be the next one looking for the door.

Top report Dave. I don't think I've ever really recovered since Basel if I'm honest, and while I enjoyed the run we had till Christmas and I love Klopp, always at the back of my mind I knew a collapse like this would likely occur. I'm not seeing any light at the end of this particular tunnel sadly.

The negativity spread at Christmas: Klopp saw his arse publicly when he saw we had to play against Sunderland 48 hours after City.  At least one player latched on to this… “It’s not possible to play two games at a high level in the space of just two days, especially as the first one was such a massive game against Man City when we were running everywhere” he explained.
“Physically, it was really tough. I don’t know why the fixtures are arranged like that. But I don’t want to talk about that. I don’t want to look for excuses.”
That was Lovren - who didn't want to talk but did anyway...

​Coutinho form replicates last time we gave him a contract. He was great...we gave him a big new contract and his form fell off the shelf...just saying.

​Finally, yeah I agree Hendo man-of-match but he was woeful defending that corner that led to 1-0 as he wasn't even looking at the ball:-( check the footage it beggars belief.

​Lack of confidence is actually forgivable but lack of concentration for 90 fucking minutes is not.

• Upvote 1

Someone brought up recently us beating Inter in 08 as an example of bouncing back and I posted the side that won that game:

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Aurelio, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas (Crouch 64), Babel (Pennant 72), Kuyt, Torres.

Subs Not Used: Itandje, Riise, Benayoun, Alonso, Arbeloa.

Proper footballers with a proper big-time mentality. Aside from flakes like Babel, Pennant and Itandje and the permacrock Aurelio (who was a decent player), there's bottle and experience throughout that whole squad, leaders all over the pitch. Our current captain wouldn't even get on that bench.

That team won nothing either.

• Upvote 3

I'd bin the fucking lot of them apart from Hendo ,Clyne & Mane.Bunch of shitters the lot of them.It all stems from whichever gobshite is in goal though..The uncertainty our goalkeepers cause is fucking nuts ,and has been the same ever since Reina lost interest .so many better goalkeeprs out there and we consistently overspend on shithouses.

Klopp is getting off lightly too ,.Up till November every thing he did turned to gold,now he's picking the wrong teams or making the wrong subs far too late.He needs a huge summer ,absolutely huge ..not that those disinterested wankers in Boston will give him anything worthwhile to spend ..