You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Back in the 80's and most of the 90's as far as i always saw it/heard it wools were people from places like Ormskirk, St Helens Newton, Prescot even as far as Warrington etc.....basically the towns and places outside of Liverpool but within like 10 miles or so.

Over time though I think it has been used much more generically really brought IMO about by the massive increase in non scousers at the match..so over time non liverpool has become 'wool' as the local scouse fans started to use the term more broadly - and it has grown from there to be used more and more in day to day life to describe anyone not 'scouse'.

Don't forget the ones " straight outta Cronton "

• Upvote 1

I don't quite get the vitriol towards us, either. As it seem one rule for Southampton and one rule for us. 

Ask Celtic about Southampton losing all their players to Liverpool. They seem to have taken the moral high ground, and as a few percentage of our fans can get a dig in on FSG in the process, we happy to oblige and tell them how unfair it has all been on them. 

I honestly don't have a clue what Southampton fans say about us. I would guess many of them are probably as pissed off with us as lots of us are with Barca for trying to sign their players who are under long contracts, Still doesn't make me hate Southampton FC,   

The word 'wool' originates from the docks. Back in the days when there were 30 odd thousand working down there there were a number of local out of towners getting a start and these fellers had their own little ways.

The dockers would have to lift bails on a 'dockers hook' and after a long days work their shoulders would be raw until they finally got used to it. The new starters were shocked by this and began bringing in strips of wool from their area to wear over their shoulders beneath their shirts.

Hence the term 'cunts.'

• Upvote 3

The word 'wool' originates from the docks. Back in the days when there were 30 odd thousand working down there there were a number of local out of towners getting a start and these fellers had their own little ways.

The dockers would have to lift bails on a 'dockers hook' and after a long days work their shoulders would be raw until they finally got used to it. The new starters were shocked by this and began bringing in strips of wool from their area to wear over their shoulders beneath their shirts.

Hence the term 'cunts.'

Fuck off Frank Carlyle

• Upvote 1

Are all non-Scousers wools including the Thai and Madagascans or is it only English non-Scousers?

English non Scousers from about a 30 mile radius and then you become a Manc or Welsh I suppose all people from heading south to Birmingham are wools as well and north up to Scotland.

Hence the term 'cunts.'

I was told it was because out of towners would be brought in when there would be bails of wool brought into the docks hence the term wooly back.

He knows - it is easier to punch above your weight in the CL than the League.

Its been years since we punched above our weight.

After that we were ranked number 1 in Europe which is why we missed out on number 6.

I fully expect us to win number six this season!