You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Keita and VVD were not available and whether we had bid first talked later I doubt that would have changed the reality, It may have caused more friction .

The issue is why we haven't pursued other options which can only really be down to Klopp not being prepared to take chances on players that he doesn't feel meet his very high standards or he just doesn't know well enough, Don't believe FSG weren't prepared to back him provided he stuck to their script on not buying older players for top money,

Keita and VVD were not available and whether we had bid first talked later I doubt that would have changed the reality, It may have caused more friction .

The issue is why we haven't pursued other options which can only really be down to Klopp not being prepared to take chances on players that he doesn't feel meet his very high standards or he just doesn't know well enough, Don't believe FSG weren't prepared to back him provided he stuck to their script on not buying older players for top money,

I think VVD was available, Southampton had been whoring him out to the top sides all year. They took their ball home because they didn't get the auction going that they wanted. I think it is obvious he wants to come to us - Chelsea, City and Arsenal haven't bid.

You don't know if Keita is, or isn't available. Okay, i'm not sure that the RB forums were full of fans stating that they would sell him, despite turning the first bid down, cos they're not as cynical as us. But, stating that player A, or B, where not available is disingenuous. 

You don't go on Rightmove to buy a player. 

Because they have a 54,000 stadium to fill every week, while charging the highest prices outside of London. Convincing people to pay £50 to watch Bournemouth at Anfield requires necessary illusions and you won't get people to stump up their hard earned unless you pretend that you're trying to win.

Its been noted numerous times before that the stories about us spending extravagant sums this summer coincided with the period for season ticket renewals and also around the time it looked like our CL qualification chances were up in the air.

The stories were quite clearly being fed to the likes of Pearce etc...

So its far from a stretch to assume FSG might be bullshitting a bit.

• Upvote 1

I think VVD was available, Southampton had been whoring him out to the top sides all year. They took their ball home because they didn't get the auction going that they wanted. I think it is obvious he wants to come to us - Chelsea, City and Arsenal haven't bid.

You don't know if Keita is, or isn't available. Okay, i'm not sure that the RB forums were full of fans stating that they would sell him, despite turning the first bid down, cos they're not as cynical as us. But, stating that player A, or B, where not available is disingenuous. 

You don't go on Rightmove to buy a player. 

The fact that we have all approaches to buy these players rebuffed suggests they were not available, As far as I'm aware Southampton have never given any indication that they were willing to sell VVD,  Any encouragement has come via the player and his agent imo

The problem lies as I see it in the fact that agents don't make money by allowing playing to settle for years at a club. They stir up their clients to look for a lucrative move and tout them round the clubs saying they could be available at the right price,  

• Upvote 1

The fact that we have all approaches to buy these players rebuffed suggests they were not available, As far as I'm aware Southampton have never given any indication that they were willing to sell VVD,  Any encouragement has come via the player and his agent imo

The problem lies as I see it in the fact that agents don't make money by allowing playing to settle for years at a club. They stir up their clients to look for a lucrative move and tout them round the clubs saying they could be available at the right price,  

Southampton have been bitches, reports that went with our apology were that a number of clubs were given permission to talk to him - if that isn't being prepared to sell then I honestly don't know what is. 

I agree on agents. But, clubs as well can do that - I have no problem with us buying players from South America, and selling them on to Barca/Real/PSG for a profit. My problem is how we spend said profit! 

Your being a bit contrary there now to fair. Of course they need promoting.

I don't think they do, to be honest. 

Do you know what - the owners would love the current batch of Season Ticket holders to give them up. People like me, I have had mine for 30 years, and i don't spend a fucking penny on the club. Go to my parents for a cuppa before, walk over together and get in on Kick Off, leave after the game. I have no club merchandise at all. I buy my ticket and nothing else.

They'd love to replace me with a day tripper - who buys a kit, pie, cuppa, visits the fanzone and all that shite. 

People read far too much into normal run of the day announcements. We seem to have the stupidest owners in the history of football, whilst the most intelligent fans who can see through all this bluster and spin. 

Some shit is just boring and tedious day to day shite. No spin, no objective, nothing. 

I don't think they do, to be honest.

Do you know what - the owners would love the current batch of Season Ticket holders to give them up. People like me, I have had mine for 30 years, and i don't spend a fucking penny on the club. Go to my parents for a cuppa before, walk over together and get in on Kick Off, leave after the game. I have no club merchandise at all. I buy my ticket and nothing else.

They'd love to replace me with a day tripper - who buys a kit, pie, cuppa, visits the fanzone and all that shite.

People read far too much into normal run of the day announcements. We seem to have the stupidest owners in the history of football, whilst the most intelligent fans who can see through all this bluster and spin.

Some shit is just boring and tedious day to day shite. No spin, no objective, nothing.

Well I think obviously some of us will agree and disagree. I think it was incredibly coincidental that all the "Liverpool will spend big" stories started appearing around the same time clearly leaked to promiment journalists and at the same time as season ticket renewals and our season was hanging in the balance.

Since then all we've done this summer is spend about 20-30 million net (which is par for the course under FSG) and spend months chasing 2 players clearly not for sale. People keep harping on about bidding for Keita but I could bid for my friends dog right now if I wanted doesn't mean i can or even want to buy it if hes obviously not going to sell it.

Yourself and a few others are obviously prepared to see some positives in it all and positives in FSG and this whole argument has been done to death.

Id simply say I can guarantee you FSG are more than capable of being underhanded. John Henry and Co. wouldn't have ever got to the point they are in business without that capability.

All this is only my opinion but I think we've been taken for a ride this summer and its all been bullshit.

It'll be interesting if we make it through tonight if we see a splurge in cash. At least then we'd see something but regardless of the outcome i doubt much will happen.

• Upvote 3

We won't splurge after tonight. I think tonight is whether or not we can go for Vidal, or someone else if we get knocked out.

Although I think Howedes is interesting, as he wasn't available when Klopp made his statement on VVD or nobody. 

Feels terrible to say it - but, a long term injury to Lovren may make them think again! 

We won't splurge after tonight. I think tonight is whether or not we can go for Vidal, or someone else if we get knocked out.

Although I think Howedes is interesting, as he wasn't available when Klopp made his statement on VVD or nobody. 

Feels terrible to say it - but, a long term injury to Lovren may make them think again!

You mean Lovren has'nt already got a long term injury ,so there's no excuse why he's shite ,well I never.

Even if the list is 10-15 years, you couldn't just spring it on people at the last minute that they can get one.

Most people don't keep a spare £700 lying around.

You don't spring it on people - you inform them in June, and you can pay by DB. You are not, ever, given notice. 

Southampton have been bitches, reports that went with our apology were that a number of clubs were given permission to talk to him - if that isn't being prepared to sell then I honestly don't know what is. 

I agree on agents. But, clubs as well can do that - I have no problem with us buying players from South America, and selling them on to Barca/Real/PSG for a profit. My problem is how we spend said profit! 

Southampton needed to be seen to be standing up to predatory clubs coming in for their best players in exactly the same way as FSG needed to stand up to Barca. Given we have been the main destination for their players its no surprise they fired off publicly about our attempt to take Van Dyck. Its no big deal imo and I hope and expect it will quickly blow over. Don't quite get all the vitriol where Southampton are concerned, Seems like its one rule for them and another for us where making players honour contracts is concerned.  

• Upvote 2

Southampton needed to be seen to be standing up to predatory clubs coming in for their best players in exactly the same way as FSG needed to stand up to Barca. Given we have been the main destination for their players its no surprise they fired off publicly about our attempt to take Van Dyck. Its no big deal imo and I hope and expect it will quickly blow over. Don't quite get all the vitriol where Southampton are concerned, Seems like its one rule for them and another for us where making players honour contracts is concerned.

The vitriol is quite one sided. Personally, I don't know a single person who could give the tiniest monkey fuck about Southampton FC. Their fans seem to fucking despise us, though.

Didn't see too much insistence on Lovren honouring his contract. They lost their auction, that's their problem.

• Upvote 1

I don't quite get the vitriol towards us, either. As it seem one rule for Southampton and one rule for us. 

Ask Celtic about Southampton losing all their players to Liverpool. They seem to have taken the moral high ground, and as a few percentage of our fans can get a dig in on FSG in the process, we happy to oblige and tell them how unfair it has all been on them. 

Didn't see too much insistence on Lovren honouring his contract. They lost their auction, that's their problem.

Fact is. If Southampton were that concerned about players honoring contacts - we'd be negotiating with Celtic. So they can shove that moral argument up their sanctimonious arse. 

Sorry, but I find a lot of this is 'support' for Southampton from Liverpool fans disingenuous. It's allowing fans to get digs in on FSG - therefore fair game and no questions asked. 

Most fans despise us. Even fans of shite teams like Villa fucking hate us. We are any easy target as we haven't won the league for years and still act like we are entitled to success. See how many fans of other teams were made up when we lost to Chelsea in 2014 and laughed at Gerrard falling over.

Add that to the fact that a lot of people around the country dislike scousers despite never having met one in their life or basing their ideas on Harry Enfield and Brookside.

• Upvote 1

Most fans despise us. Even fans of shite teams like Villa fucking hate us. We are any each target as we haven't won the league for years and still act like we are entitled to success.

Add that to the fact that a lot of people around the country dislike scousers despite never having met one in their life or basing their ideas on Harry Enfield and Brookside.

This is basically football Internet forums summed up in two paragraphs. I was oblivious to the genuine level of dislike of scousers in the country until I started reading forums about 10 years ago.

Most fans despise us. Even fans of shite teams like Villa fucking hate us. We are any each target as we haven't won the league for years and still act like we are entitled to success.

That's my take on it. Like Roy Jones when he fought Calzaghe, a great 'win' to have on you record, even if it doesn't quite mean the same any more. Just big enough to feel threatened by us, small enough to hit back and not get hurt. 

Rafa was polite and curteous to journalists yet got slaughtered by them, Maureen is a bitter, horrible little cunt who treats them like shit, yet is lauded. 

This is basically football Internet forums summed up in two paragraphs. I was oblivious to the genuine level of dislike of scousers in the country until I started reading forums about 10 years ago.

At Glastonbury this year - a lad from Plymouth 'It's nice to meet a Scouser who's not a cunt'

I said, visit Liverpool lad, there are loads of them. 

Funny, cos I am cunt! 

Hilarious that Mancs call scousers bindippers. I've been to Manchester quite a lot and even though it's had lots of money spent on it it's still populated by smelly scruffy cunts who look like they've kipped on park benches the night before.

You then have all these people who live in utter shit holes like Bolton, Oldham, Hull, Middlesbrough and Stoke trying to make out Liverpool is some backward shithole and their places are far much better.

• Upvote 2

Fact is. If Southampton were that concerned about players honoring contacts - we'd be negotiating with Celtic. So they can shove that moral argument up their sanctimonious arse. 

Sorry, but I find a lot of this is 'support' for Southampton from Liverpool fans disingenuous. It's allowing fans to get digs in on FSG - therefore fair game and no questions asked.

You sound paranoid.