You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

You were always very positive (and a very good poster too btw).

I'd remind you though that we've been shite for years haha.

Haha cheers! And thank you. I still am positive, but I think we are getting better.

I maintain one league won the right way is worth ten won the Chelsea way. Hence my willingness to give the benifit of the doubt to FSG. We have been shit though!

I often wonder just what players like him of the past would offer to us right now. The likes of Dalglish, Hansen, Barnes had that something extra that would make them world beaters in any generation but god knows what level the likes of Whelan, Kennedy, Lawrenson , Craig Johnstone etc would be at now.

Our great teams of the 70s and 80s would still be priceless. Hansen and Lawrenson were for me the best cb partnership in the world for several years. Rushy and the King were incredible. Barnes likewise. Neal and Kennedy two phenomenal full backs,especially neal. Souness and Whelan outstanding. Souness in particular would be a top 5-6 player in any generation. As a player i put him ahead of any player i've seen in a red shirt. So many other players to mention like nicol and molby. I've not even mentioned so many of the 70s stalwarts.

• Upvote 2

Imagine if we hadn't fucked around with Van Dijk and Keita and submitted proper bids for them early in the window. We could be sitting in a position of strength and Barca may have submitted a more reasonable offer. This lowball approach for everything is leaving money on the table and costing more than it gains - even if you agree that capital growth is the aim. FSG aren't even good at their shithouse strategy.

• Upvote 1

Imagine if we hadn't fucked around with Van Dijk and Keita and submitted proper bids for them early in the window. We could be sitting in a position of strength and Barca may have submitted a more reasonable offer. This lowball approach for everything is leaving money on the table and costing more than it gains - even if you agree that capital growth is the aim. FSG aren't even good at their shithouse strategy.

I suspect that signing Van Dijk and Keita was never really the goal, anyway. I can't prove that, but spending £160m+ in one transfer window without selling one of your best players is radically inconsistent with the way FSG have run the club for 7 years.

• Upvote 2

Only it's not "a" mistake is it? It's multiple. We have "nearly" signed this player and "almost" signed that player every year since they took charge. With the exception of summer 2011 when they spent a lot of money (and a lot of it poorly judged at that) I'm afraid that FSG are either incompetent, hire incompetent people or are simply unwilling to get the big deals over the line.

Once is a mistake. The failure to sign Van Dijk is not a mistake - it is yet another in the repeated pattern of poor management by poor owners.

Quoted because yes.

Financially speaking, the players in the 1980s did better than the players in the 70s who did better than the players in the 60s. Before then the players earned a modest wage and were just like normal blokes and would go to the game on public transport and so on.

In the 60s they started to get a bit more, then more again in the 70s so players could think about buying a pub when they hung up their boots, or launching into a second career with a few bob behind them and the mortgage paid off. In the 80s the money started to accelerate a bit more, and at that point good players could possibly expect to become millionaires by the time they finished playing, if they were wise. The likes of Whelan fall into this group. He made decent money in the 1980s compared to most who came before him, and they could be bitter about what he made if they wanted to be! Obviously the salaries exploded just after Whelan's time with the advent of the Premier League, and I remember being shocked when the money crept of the £50k a week - I think it was Brian Laudrup who first hit that mark, though I could be mistaken.

These days the top end is ridiculous again, and solid Premier League players who are good but not special earn a lot more than Laudrup did.

Where will it all end?

And don't the policemen all look young these days too?!

I suspect that signing Van Dijk and Keita was never really the goal, anyway. I can't prove that, but spending £160m+ in one transfer window without selling one of your best players is radically inconsistent with the way FSG have run the club for 7 years.

I won't argue that our pursuit of VvD and Keita have been feeble at best, but what would be the goal of announcing that we have money or that we were in for those players if the intention was never to buy them? It's left them open to even more criticism. 

There's no conspiracy or master PR plan here.They just couldn't deliver the deals. And as for selling one of our best players, Coutinho wouldn't have had to submit a transfer request if all FSG were looking for was a bigger lump sum payment or a better structure for the transfer fee.

I also don't  believe that had we bought Keita and VvD, Coutinho would have been on his way because it's now come out that Barca's concrete interest has only come about since it became clear that Neymar was leaving. Without the money from that deal they would have never considered blowing so much money on one player this summer.. 

Fantasising here, lets just take all of our money and go and pay Suarez's release clause.

We'll drag the cunt here kicking and biting if it needs be.

£137m. Buy a CB and a CM next year.

Okay i'll stop fantasising now. Reality sucks...

Get on board the Solanke bus to Successville - a few places left, but once it's gone that's it, no bandwagon jumpers allowed. 

There is a Sturridge one as well, but that has broken down!

The Origi one, just disappeared. And the Firminho one turned out to be a van, not a bus. 

I prefer the John Lennon version.

• Upvote 1

I won't argue that our pursuit of VvD and Keita have been feeble at best, but what would be the goal of announcing that we have money or that we were in for those players if the intention was never to buy them? It's left them open to even more criticism. 

There's no conspiracy or master PR plan here.They just couldn't deliver the deals. And as for selling one of our best players, Coutinho wouldn't have had to submit a transfer request if all FSG were looking for was a bigger lump sum payment or a better structure for the transfer fee.

I also don't  believe that had we bought Keita and VvD, Coutinho would have been on his way because it's now come out that Barca's concrete interest has only come about since it became clear that Neymar was leaving. Without the money from that deal they would have never considered blowing so much money on one player this summer..

Because they have a 54,000 stadium to fill every week, while charging the highest prices outside of London. Convincing people to pay £50 to watch Bournemouth at Anfield requires necessary illusions and you won't get people to stump up their hard earned unless you pretend that you're trying to win.

• Upvote 2