You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I remember when he wasnt good enough for us.

You know what, I got him mixed up with Redmond, but id still take Bertrand. If we'd have signed him back then, Rogers / committee would have been strung up by our fans. Didn't Chelsea put the block on him coming to uS cos we didn't give Moses enough minutes? While were targeting Soton we may as well do our annual triple whammy and add Van Dijk to the list too

Read somewhere that Yannick Carrasco is unhappy at Atletico, always looked a promising player on the few occasions I have seen him and covers a position we are short in.

Anybody seen much of him

He's ridiculously skilful and direct, he reminds me a bit of better, much better version of Mirallas. It's mad how many borderline world class attacking players. Doubt we'd have a chance of signing him, for some reason I've always thought of him going to Chelsea, not sure why though.

Guest Pistonbroke

I wouldn't be against us bringing in a forward with a bit of height. I'm not on about a lump of a target like Benteke, Carroll, etc, but it would be nice to have a 6"3" forward to add a different dimension to our short arsed game. 

I wouldn't be against us bringing in a forward with a bit of height. I'm not on about a lump of a target like Benteke, Carroll, etc, but it would be nice to have a 6"3" forward to add a different dimension to our short arsed game.

Crazy that Swansea have a striker as good as Llorente.

Guest Pistonbroke

Crazy that Swansea have a striker as good as Llorente.

Indeed, having someone like him would improve our set pieces as not only does it lead to chances/goals but they also pull defenders about. You can also have all the speed and width you want, but without someone who is good with his head and getting onto crosses it just limits your options. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd rather have a team of midgets and be saved the misery of watching us try to cross. Every time we get a corner I tend to wish it'd gone out for a throw in.

I sometimes think the lack of a target man in a congested boy sees us trying to hit the near post far too often, without much success. Even our CB's are not exactly good in the air, although I think Matip will show his worth in that area eventually. 

I sometimes think the lack of a target man in a congested boy sees us trying to hit the near post far too often, without much success. Even our CB's are not exactly good in the air, although I think Matip will show his worth in that area eventually. 

I'm not even sure we're trying to hit the near post, rather that's just where the ball ends up. We seem to have two types of crossing - either whipped which ends up going to the near post, or lofted in a hit-and-hope fashion.

Benteke was about the best header of the ball in the league when we signed him, and still we struggled to find him in a good position. I think the biggest problem is the rhythm of our play when we get it wide. We use fullbacks for width, and their function seems to largely take the ball further up the pitch and then pass it back to retain possession. Crossing isn't high on the list of priorities for the wide players.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm not even sure we're trying to hit the near post, rather that's just where the ball ends up. We seem to have two types of crossing - either whipped which ends up going to the near post, or lofted in a hit-and-hope fashion.

Benteke was about the best header of the ball in the league when we signed him, and still we struggled to find him in a good position. I think the biggest problem is the rhythm of our play when we get it wide. We use fullbacks for width, and their function seems to largely take the ball further up the pitch and then pass it back to retain possession. Crossing isn't high on the list of priorities for the wide players.

Agree fully with the last bit, Clyne hardly attempts to take it past the defender, he nearly always cuts back in and lays a short pass off. Milner not so much though, at least he can stick a decent cross in when he cuts back inside. We are far too geared towards going through the middle which is why we struggle at times against a well drilled defence. The chances we had against Chelsea mainly came from balls coming into the box from an angle. 

That sentence reads like a Michael Barrymore diary entry and is enough to make Alan Sex blush.

• Upvote 1